Geo-Synchronous Orbit

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Okay, so i've managed to Get into orbit with both the DG and Atlantis (Docking at ISS/ going to the moon are still out of the question)

Now, using the Delta Glider, how do i get to a Geo-Synchronous Orbit?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Okay, so i've managed to Get into orbit with both the DG and Atlantis (Docking at ISS/ going to the moon are still out of the question)

Now, using the Delta Glider, how do i get to a Geo-Synchronous Orbit?

Just enter a orbit which has exactly 86400 seconds orbit period (T).

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Would that mean changing my ApA/PeA accordingly, or is there an easier way?

What about an equatorial Geosynchronous orbit?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Okay, thanks. Would that mean changing my ApA/PeA accordingly, or is there an easier way?

What about an equatorial Geosynchronous orbit?

Orbit Period is a function of semimajor axis = (Apoapsis + periapsis)/2

Most geostationary satellites are in a circular orbit with radius 42164 km, if I remember correctly.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Your APA/PEA will be roughly 20,000 km above the surface. Not an exact measurement, but it's good for starters.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Your APA/PEA will be roughly 20,000 km above the surface. Not an exact measurement, but it's good for starters.

Actually, it's closer to 37 000 km.

Just enter an equatorial circular orbit with a radius somewhere around 42164, then increase or decrease it's radius (be sure to maintain a near-zero eccentricity) until the orbital period reaches 1 day.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A good way to help is to use Surface MFD in the GS mode. You're reaidng your relative speed to the ground. In a perfect Geostationary orbit, the GS should equal 0.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Just enter an equatorial circular orbit with a radius somewhere around 42164, then increase or decrease it's radius (be sure to maintain a near-zero eccentricity) until the orbital period reaches 1 day.
Oh. My mistake. :sorry:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

35,786 KM above surface

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A geosynchronous orbit has a period equal to the Earth's "sidereal" rotation period: the time it takes to rotate around its spin axis 360 degrees (86164 seconds).

This is slightly shorter than 24 hours ("mean solar day") which is the mean time it takes to rotate around until it points at the sun again. (Because the Earth is orbiting around the sun, Earth has to rotate more than 360 degrees around its axis each "mean solar day" since Earth has also orbited approximately 1 degree around the sun over the 24 hours. (Draw a diagram.)