Request Fighter carrier

Artymaster

Reaction score
I have been thinking, what if i wanted to launch an attack on earth from the moon, i have fighters and bombers landed ready on the moon but i cant fly them multiple times they don't have enough fuel.

Is it possible to make a ship with a large fighter/bomber bay that can open and close and multiple docking ports inside the bay. Preferably both atmospheric and orbital, but it would be ok if it was only orbital.

i don't know about specs but about 7-10km long and 2-4km wide, and 2-4 km tall??

possibly this shape:
http://www.freewebs.com/darthrender/angle37.jpg

but the top can open to accommodate fighters and bombers

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would just haul rocks on Earth. Something which will never be rare on the moon.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have been thinking, what if i wanted to launch an attack on earth from the moon, i have fighters and bombers landed ready on the moon but i cant fly them multiple times they don't have enough fuel.

Is it possible to make a ship with a large fighter/bomber bay that can open and close and multiple docking ports inside the bay. Preferably both atmospheric and orbital, but it would be ok if it was only orbital.

i don't know about specs but about 7-10km long and 2-4km wide, and 2-4 km tall??

possibly this shape:
http://www.freewebs.com/darthrender/angle37.jpg

but the top can open to accommodate fighters and bombers
The RagTagFleet's Battlestar Galactica may suit your purposes:
http://www.yankeeclippersmobile.com/Orbiter/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Artymaster

Reaction score
i wasent sure about dimensions.
Hielor that is a perfect add on, thanks for the help

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would just haul rocks on Earth. Something which will never be rare on the moon.

Rocks are common, but means of getting them to Earth are less so. ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just some classic sci-fi reference... get Heinleins "Moon is a harsh Mistress", too understand what we mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

Fighter carriers are toys in general, and pretty useless in Orbiter. The dimensions you posted BTW, mean, that you can only turn it around in hours, unless you like smashed humans.
Actually, this specific request is one of the few cases where bombers/fighters could be useful in space combat: atmospheric combat, where presumably the larger primary combat vessels wouldn't be as effective.

That said, I imagine you'd be using drones instead of piloted fighters/bombers, but hey. No one wants to read sci-fi with a drone pilot as the primary character...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Rocks are common, but means of getting them to Earth are less so. ;)

Read the book mentioned, it's a classic, not only that but good social commentary as well. Plus some good humor mixed in. I was hooked on just a few paragraphs. The AI on a moonbase overpays (like waaay overpays) a janitor, and the main charater (Manny) discovers that the AI has went Descarte on them.

"we can throw rocks at them..."

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've laid down the keel on a new ship that just might suit your purpose. It will be a fully animated ( as far as I can make it ) Colonial Marine Fleet Command Carrier. Completion date as yet unknown.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
The AI on a moonbase overpays (like waaay overpays) a janitor, and the main charater (Manny) discovers that the AI has went Descarte on them.
I know who's behind the whole thing!
ive5.gif

Artymaster

Reaction score
That is massively awesome tgep i cant wait for it to come out! but for now ill have to use the Battlestar and the Flatbed, thanks for thos also

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
Hey Overmind 5000-Why were you banned in the first place.Was it a misunderstanding or were you being a bad boy? Whats the story? Maybe if you ask nicely they will let you back in.

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Hey Overmind 5000-Why were you banned in the first place.Was it a misunderstanding or were you being a bad boy? Whats the story? Maybe if you ask nicely they will let you back in.
They took away my power to post threads and posts, banned me, and said "Insuborination". I don't even know why I was banned anyway. Is there some sort of code in the word "Insubordination"? If not, no one AT ALL is telling me what happened. Bottom line, Social skills are horrible due to Asperger's. so yeah.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They took away my power to post threads and posts, banned me, and said "Insuborination". I don't even know why I was banned anyway. Is there some sort of code in the word "Insubordination"? If not, no one AT ALL is telling me what happened. Bottom line, Social skills are horrible due to Asperger's. so yeah.
Not really sure 100% as I wasn't there at the time, but it looks like you were being fairly rude to several of the senior staff members there.

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Not really sure 100% as I wasn't there at the time, but it looks like you were being fairly rude to several of the senior staff members there.
Yeah. Also... :eek:fftopic: and :goodposting:

Artymaster

Reaction score
Hey tgep can you let me know when you find out a possible release date please?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
A space battleship with fighters is a concept that comes from Star Wars.
Star Wars warfare is a space version of WWII (including the physics).

It only would take a big cannon on Earth to throw a big rock on the moon, so you can blast your target. During Saddam Hussein ruling, an canadian engineer who worked for HAARP project, was working on a cannon to send sats into orbit.

Having dogfights in space means you need a big fuel tank, specially if you need to change orbit planes. G forces for evading in space would be too harsh for humans.

But the main reason not to have a battleship in space is that there is no reason to make war. A moon base is too resource consuming and its fragility is too high, that a small rock could blast it and it may take years to affor a new small base. Not really cost effective.

If moon was made of gold, you would experience money losses if you tried to bring it down to Earth. So to blast a base, send a rock, not fighters or even missiles, which is cheaper.