Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh, it's that time of year already? Time to look for the earplugs... :shifty:

Yeah... Germany is again aiming for the zero points. :lol:

Wally

Reaction score
Yes, by financial reasons. Feels pretty harsh, especially because the decision happened shortly before the ESC and not directly afterwards.

I hope it will serve as a wake-up call for the national television services. They are in danger of losing the rights for broadcasting the Olympics and Euro 2016 football championship. Shots will be fired...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ireland out, shock-horror. They do quite well.

The 10 countries that qualified on Thursday are Latvia, Georgia, Bulgaria, Australia, Ukraine, Serbia, Poland, Israel, Lithuania and Belgium.

They will join Azerbaijan, Russia, The Netherlands, Hungary, Croatia, Malta, Austria, Armenia, Czech Republic and Cyprus who all made it through the first semi-final on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36283139

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Commonwealth is still represented well with Australia. :p

I would say, that might become a national tragedy... when UK ends last as usual and Australia wins the ESC....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The joy of Eurovision, its unpredictability, its enthusiastic supporters, its entire naff-ness. All generated by a stuffy old bureaucratic technical assembly. you couldn't make it up.

I'll do the usual, watch about 10 minutes and come back later to watch the end. Bit like Formula One...

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The joy of Eurovision, its unpredictability, its enthusiastic supporters, its entire naff-ness. All generated by a stuffy old bureaucratic technical assembly. you couldn't make it up.

I'll do the usual, watch about 10 minutes and come back later to watch the end. Bit like Formula One...

N.

It is an absurd anomaly... a bit like a trainwreck. You want to, but you can't stop watching. :lol:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The Commonwealth is still represented well with Australia. :p
UK is in the final, too, because "Big 5". However, I agree, Australia's song is much better. :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How about a card game?
http://satwcomic.com/eurovision-game

eurovision-game.png

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So that's all for this year.

While results of the jury voting didn't surprise me much, I didn't expect such different results from the public voting. I wasn't interested in the competing songs earlier and I only listened to (but not watched) all finalist songs twice after the 2nd semi-final, and my personal predictions were much closer to the jury voting than to how people voted. Well, I guess people's voting is more a popularity contest than choosing a song.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly, I managed to miss it all this year.
Some info about the results:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36295168

A new scoring system was introduced this year, providing separate scores for each country's jury and public votes, rather than combining them as in previous years.

At the half-way point after the juries' votes had been counted, Australia - which had been invited back to perform after last year's 60th anniversary celebrations - topped the scoreboard with 320 points and a firm lead over Ukraine's 211 points.

But Dami Im's Sound of Silence failed to strike the same chord with the public and was voted the fourth most popular song overall.

Graham Norton, who provided commentary to viewers watching in the UK, paid tribute to his predecessor Sir Terry Wogan during the contest.

He recalled Sir Terry, who died in January, advising him not to drink anything alcoholic until the ninth song had been performed.

"I would urge you at home to raise a cup, a mug, a glass and give thanks to the man who was, and always will be, the voice of Eurovision," he said as the ninth competitor began.
Used to watch it mostly for Wogan's commentary, he was a bit...sharp.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That sounds like Wogan, he had a very quick mind. Ideal for live telly, especially the nonsense of Erovision.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So that's all for this year.

While results of the jury voting didn't surprise me much, I didn't expect such different results from the public voting. I wasn't interested in the competing songs earlier and I only listened to (but not watched) all finalist songs twice after the 2nd semi-final, and my personal predictions were much closer to the jury voting than to how people voted. Well, I guess people's voting is more a popularity contest than choosing a song.

Same here. I was all for Australia after watching the performance which was really a strong and not too boring pop-ballad.

But it seems go boil down to "Russia against the rest of the Eurovision" every time. Which this time had a very boring song, but a very great performance. But hardly explaining the public vote to have Russia at the front in many countries... this feels really strange every time.

But then... the true winner of the ESC 2016 was Justin Timberlake. :lol: