ENB Series tips and tricks

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I've "put" ENB Series into Orbiter D3D9, for the pleasure of some's eyes.
I see that some use it, and seeing pictures with my "work" in it (well, technically I just put files at the right place, and made 2-3 palettes to suit one's needs). With 600 downloads on Pappy's Hangar (which is the centralized place of the addon), I'm more than happy to have shared my work with you ;)

Anyway, this is not the subject here. In this post, I will show you some tips that I found that can really enhance your experience with Orbiter and ENB, and sometimes even bring up the immersion and realism.

1. Make stars not so bright
In real life, we can't see stars in space because of the amount of light the planet is bouncing off the Sun. If you look at any pictures in space, we can hardly see any stars - even on the night side.
In my case, I have the intensity set to 0.05, so I can still enjoy a starry night while space is staying in that mysterious black.
How to do this: Open Orbiter, and go to the "Visual Effects" tab. On the bottom, you'll see a "Celestial sphere" section. In the right, you'll have "Intensity" marked with a text box next to it. Write the new number in it.
Tip on the Tip: Don't use any of the defaults backgrounds. Download one realistic and choose it (the dropdown on the same section). My personal favorite: [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4799]Realistic Background[/ame]

2. Remove ambient lightning
I know, ambient lightning can be useful sometimes, but it's unnatural, and doesn't exist in real life. And get in conflict with the natural contrast between day-side and night-side of a planet that makes space pictures so beautiful.
Even if you don't turn it off completely, try to stay at a low number (under the 20ish). Personally, I have it at 0, and it's far better like that.
How to do it: Open Orbiter, go to the "Visual effects" tab and in the "Global effects" section, change the "Ambient light level" to 0 (or something low, under 20).

3. Pump up the city lights!
Nothing more can remember you the presence of life than seeing city lights while orbiting the cold dark side of the planet (especially the Earth). And since you have no other light sources except the faint stars far away and maybe your nav lights to see the station from kilometers (or miles, depends on your actual original location).
How to do it: Go to "Visual tabs" and in the "Planetary effects" section, turn the "Night lights level" to 1.

4. Too bright for you? Turn off the bloom!
I know sometimes the brightness can be so high that you can use your computer screen as a primary source of light (that's a bit exaggerated, is it? ^^). One of the main reasons is that ENB simulates the "bleeding" of bright areas onto dark ones. So what's bright will appear even brighter.
How to do it: Open the "ENB Palette selector", select your current palette and uncheck "Bloom" on the top. Then save.
Note: you'll have to re-uncheck it each time you change palettes.

Here it is, 4 tips for you to best use ENB with Orbiter, and maybe appreciate more the immersion/realism/graphics that it adds/changes.
Happy orbiting!

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know sometimes the brightness can be so high that you can use your computer screen as a primary source of light (that's a bit exaggerated, is it? ^^).

Lol, love that line.

Thanks for the tips and for making the ENB series palette addon. It has definitely been a great addition to my orbiter visual experience.