Gaming Elite: Dangerous

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
So, aside from the base game, is there any essential DLC for Elite that I should pick up? Being a Paradox interactive fan has scarred me, I tell you.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's only really one DLC at this point, which is horizons, and if you buy the game now I'd suggest to get the whole package. But basically the game keeps being extended, and the DLC is more like season passes, in that you get about a years worth of content updates with each one.

Even if you don't buy the new season pass (it's not quite clear yet when the next one will come up, because the current one is a bit behind schedule) you usually still get a lot of the updates like except when they are related to the core features of the season pass (for example, I still don't own horizons, but I still got all the new ships, the NPC avatars and some other stuff).

Other than that, all DLC is purely cosmetic (ship skins, bobbleheads, that kind of thing).

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Jumping and refueling can lead to an occasional slightly-too-close encounter with a star, and cargo hatch failures are common when overheating occurs. Having ran out of heatsinks isn't a help, either.

The most stupid thing I've done with my ship was trying to repair thrusters with AFM while in supercruise. Luckily, the ship survived. Still, many parts were broken as a result. :)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And finally yesterday I arrived at Sag. A*:

:)

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

So, aside from the base game, is there any essential DLC for Elite that I should pick up? Being a Paradox interactive fan has scarred me, I tell you.

I'd pick the base game and see if you like the concept. The Horizons expansion, as Jedida said, is a pass for this season of additional content (which should last more than a year). It's not essential, however: at any major update the basic game also gets new features, but Horizons just gets more stuff.

Example: in the coming Horizons update (2.2) there should be interesting new stuff to discover on the surface of planets, but the corresponding base game update (1.7) will also get the new ship-borne fighters feature.

The base game gets discounted very steeply during Steam sales, Horizons not so much.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Cool.
I wonder if there will be some tourists missions to Sag.A in the 2.2 uptade. Quite a long cruise, I'd say :cheers:

Yes there will be. It's going to be a point of interest. Hopefully with the FSD neutron star trick it'll allow for quicker transits to *Sgr A.

2.2 drops tomorrow and I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Few shots done today:

D2C43C9FF3788FC7C105D7BA045133C81BC50777

22A3B771A6BF8517EF2110DAA204C90D23E9258C

FAF93B2FE3B2AC3E34BC22ABB43E40218A705186

BF48073E937716EAC06C0F4B209549F4CC506393

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From what I gather it's slowly getting there... I've decided to buy my Elite updates with an offset of one season, because most of the content that gets added at the beginning of the season needs a lot of additional work until it becomes really worthwhile.
Also, you won't get it any cheaper than just before release of the new one :p

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've thinking of getting the DLC. Is it worth it? (except the pretty pictures :p)

Warning! Possible fanboyism.

While I'm a beginer in Elite Dangerous (87 hours) and I'm very biased since I've played 1995 F:FE (with various upgrades like d3d9 client) till very recently, here few thoughts.

There are few ground mission types you can embark on like sabotage settlement generator, destroy ground skimmers protecting settlement, colect data from settlement or salvage materials from the surface (at least those are missions I've seen so far). Delivering cargo to ground bases is nice as it introduces some variety in deliveries making it less repetitive.

I haven't used Power Play functions yet and haven't aligned with any of big figures, however I'm based in system that is hedquaters to one of them and I plan to pledge my allegiance at some point to certain blue haired young lady :p. From what I've heard it increases interdictions performed on you but I'm not judging that yet and recently I've been submitting to interdictions as I need some reasonable combat experience.

TBH I'd wait for 2.2 / 1.7 update reviews (update drops today) since it'll expand some "on-ground" features.

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Everyone likes certain blue haired young lady :dry: I'd say she's a populist :lol: By the way, she has been seen with that Denton Patreus guy several times in public :shifty:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
By the way, she has been seen with that Denton Patreus guy several times in public

Pics or it didn't happen! :lol:

For what it's worth, since the leaders have practically no characterisation or history whatsoever, it's natural that people just go with the nicest portrait. Or the biggest gun, depending on your preferences...

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
It crashed in less than a minute after the game session started for me. :uhh: I don't like the bugs, but the bugs like me...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
So, I bought the game. Third mission I took was worth 50k. I thought Nice! It's only a pick up of a black box. So I jumped into the destination system...aaaaand the target was 250,000 Ls away. Boy do I love supercruise.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
In that case, there's this station you should visit, Hutton Orbital in the Alpha Centauri system. It's renowned for being conveniently close to the jump-in point.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
In that case, there's this station you should visit, Hutton Orbital in the Alpha Centauri system. It's renowned for being conveniently close to the jump-in point.

I was thinking... Is it possible to fly from one star to another with supercruise instead of hyperdrive? I guess the fuel will run out anyway, but is the game engine capable of it?
Do any of the Hutton truckers remember how much fuel were left in tanks after the run?

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Should I take a mug of some sort with me?

You can get several tons of these mugs as a reward if you make it :lol:

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

'Reward' is not the correct word here. You'll have to pay money anyway :)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I was thinking... Is it possible to fly from one star to another with supercruise instead of hyperdrive? I guess the fuel will run out anyway, but is the game engine capable of it?
Do any of the Hutton truckers remember how much fuel were left in tanks after the run?

Nope: someone tried with two nearby stars, but from the game's point of view the hyperspace screen is an elaborate loading screen.

Should I take a mug of some sort with me?
Yes, but don't lose it trying to reach the center of the galaxy.