Gaming Elite: Dangerous

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Elite Dangerous: Deluxe Edition (includes base game, horizons seasons pass, and a "pilot starter pack") is $59.99 on Steam

Ah... the recent switch from dollars to swiss franks confused me, because basically it meant that the more expensive stuff got more expensive. So basically I'm paying the same price for the season pass now that they adapted to swiss price, as I did for the full game before when I could have bought it in dollars (no, it's not an exchange rate thingy - Stuff is more expensive on Swiss steam than it was on US steam now that Swiss steam has been introduced, simple as that).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That blows.

Obvious solution is to use a US proxy and convince Steam that you're in the US...

Alternately, just plan a trip to the US once a year during the biggest Steam sale and do all your purchases then. If you buy enough games, you could come out on top, right?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think you would have to buy the whole catalog just to break even.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't go to Alpha Centauri's Hutton's Orbital

It actually orbits Proxima so you have to cover 0.22 lightyear using supercruise instead of jump.

ludicrous_speed.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Notice velocity at 1851 times speed of light. :p

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
IIRC at one point there was a community goal to ship something (my brain says mugs for some reason) to Hutton.

Ah yes. Mugs. (sort of)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Went to Hutton a couple of days ago, and am now headed for Sagittarius A*. I'm bringing a Hutton mug along for the ride.

My in-game name is the same one I use here.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Day 2 of my trek to Sag. A*:

Refueling (pic taken from my first day out of the bubble on this particular occasion):
gvKEXo5.jpg

QC8IcrD.jpg

And the end of todays trip:
3Z067rR.jpg

hVmyt2Y.jpg

Man, space is big. But in an Asp with ~40LY jump range it's somewhat less big than in an Cobra with ~18LY jump range. :p In the map screenshot the bookmarks from my trip to Jaques in said Cobra are still visible.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Hey, I had a window in late July in which I had nothing to do and when the corresponding Community Goal popped up, I had to do it. :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, that sounds more managable. Was considering doing the same actually, but I just can't spare that much time just to truck 20'000 lightyears, especially considering I don't even have horizons.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Ah, that sounds more managable. Was considering doing the same actually, but I just can't spare that much time just to truck 20'000 lightyears, especially considering I don't even have horizons.

Well, Horizons are good, but not in the sense of travelling thousands of lightyears very fast :). So far the best experience I've had with Horizons was driving through all kinds of cities including shield-domed ones (these are cool, but lacking internal traffic). Apart from that, diving through lifeless wastelands in a hope of finding some crashed ship or another drone-protected hideout is even more time-consuming, if not just plane boring. It makes some wonderful landscape views somethimes though. I hope they will make it possible to land on planets with atmosphere one day. Not sure about the places with air pressure a couple of thousand times more of that on Earth though. I guess they may add some more funny hull-cracking sounds in regard of this case into the game :)

I've started to play Elite again some time ago, even decided to take part in the current public event by delivering some rare goods. Made it to Hutton yesterday (a hour of flight, fell asleep a couple of times during it) and after all the station denied access, sumofabitches they are :lol: Well, solo mode helped. Got about 50 tons of Hutton mugs now. Yes, I know they want the drinks, not the mugs, but it was only six tons of drinks there (bought it anyway), and I guess I can sell the mugs anywhere else.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
...after all the station denied access, sumofabitches they are :lol: Well, solo mode helped.
This was one of the more annoying things about Elite for me, and was the reason I started playing entirely in solo mode.

What kind of terrible MMO design calls for stations that can only have a handful of people docked at a time?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
This was one of the more annoying things about Elite for me, and was the reason I started playing entirely in solo mode.

What kind of terrible MMO design calls for stations that can only have a handful of people docked at a time?

Agreed. If the station is seeing so much traffic it should be at least upgraded to something more serious like Coriolis.
Still I prefer Open Play - it gives me a warm feeling to meet another Commander in the cold wastes of space between the hordes of NPCs. Although I've never said a word with another human in-game :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another system that requires long boring trip: Vela Dock in Medb system. 468 light hours.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Current location, still on the way to Sag. A*:
SrRdVzr.jpg

Had a cargo hatch malfunction so my Hutton mug is out there somewhere, but most definitely not in my cargo hold anymore. :(

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well, I'd assume that the cargo hatch would have to malfunction.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point:
[ame="https://youtu.be/3m5qxZm_JqM?t=6"]Clarke and Dawe - The Front Fell Off - YouTube[/ame]

Jumping and refueling can lead to an occasional slightly-too-close encounter with a star, and cargo hatch failures are common when overheating occurs. Having ran out of heatsinks isn't a help, either.