Dumb Shuttle Payload Development Questions

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have been searching on-line for some basic information about payload accomodations in the Shuttle payload bay. Can anyone point me to some general info on payload allowable dimensions, attachment points/methods, cargo cradles/pallets? Is any of this stadardized, or is it custom construction for each payload?

Assuming some measure of standarization in real life, do any of the shuttle add-ons for Orbiter include cradles or pallets to provide realistic looking attachment of payloads?

There are quite detailed Delta II payload guides for commercial users. I suppose NASA gave up even the appearance that the Shuttle offers a commercially competitive launch option, thus no need of on-line users guides.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There are quite detailed Delta II payload guides for commercial users. I suppose NASA gave up even the appearance that the Shuttle offers a commercially competitive launch option, thus no need of on-line users guides.
No, in fact it's illegal for them to launch commecial satellites ever since the Challenger accident.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think we really need a GAS bridge for SSU... ;)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think we really need a GAS bridge for SSU... ;)
We really need the the retention panels for the bigger payloads first!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Installed these for the next payload release.:)

7SPioGXbpISwTf3ea35vCa-1lBfzEf035Ep7w_gS2YjlT_shxHErUXGdgS3ghnB641XEyc3y-cMzJIaqiuUP688lbbxCx1rS7Dxx9e_9eqc

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Nice. When we can agree on a payload interface, I could sure deliver code to add the right payload supports to the visual depending on the payload configuration. :)

On the payload interfaces, see my post in a few minutes in the SSU Dev thread, so we can discuss this there.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

HOLY FU.. um, crap! Until I spotted the yellow info text in the upper right I thought this was a real life photo:eek:hmy:

You Ultra guys are serious. Will I need a main frame to run this add-on?

Thanks for the leads.

Edit: Thanks all - and I feel foolish not to have looked on the Manned Spaceflight Document page. One of my favorites. This document probably has the info I want, and perhpas it will be useful for your efforts.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19940003617_1994003617.pdf

Last edited:

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
How could you guys develop a lighting system for the payload bay, maybe something like AMSO has for when a Saturn V is on the pad and you can turn your lights on to illuminate the rocket, it's never good to be fumbling around in the dark in a payload bay, you might damage something, but in orbiter case just float through it.