Project OrbiterCrews / OMMU Development

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Oh, nifty! Does the thing they want to pick up have to have a specific attachment point, or will one be generated dynamically?
At the moment I have it so the user must create an atatchment point when developing a cargo. currently I have it so the attachment point's ID must be "OEMU-CG" to differentiate between cargo and non-cargo items. I did this as it is easy to add an attachment point to a vessel class' Config file without any code, so any user can do this easily. If people are't fond of this I can review though :)

I will try to also add UCSO compatibility to this too though.

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hi !

This is the best thing to read since Orbiter 2016 release !

As a true never-happy-end-user (NHEU), i'd like to see those guys and their stuff in all the crewed vessels. But i know it would'nt be possible. So i think it would be a good thing to make it possible to implement in vessels as easily as possible. Because everyone knows a true NHEU does'nt know anything about coding and modeling, and will exclusively use the addon you didn't think about ;). More seriously, a few lines in a .ini file or .cfg file will be mandatory, of course. If it could be something to copy/paste with a number of variables to fill, it should be the best solution from the NHEU point of view.

With this addon, gameplay as survival and role playing will come back to Orbiter without changing it's core, so long awaited !

Thanx for your efforts ! :cheers:

If you need french translation for the docs, just ask !
Thank you WolfAngriff that's a kind offer. At this point I do not have any plan to implement so-to-speak 'code-free' functionality (beyond the custom crew meshes/parameters). I may consider adding this later if widely requested.

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
OrbiterCrews sounds nice. I applaud your effort in bringing a new EVA SDK to Orbiter. I'm excited to try it out. :)
I do hope you seriously consider making it open source for above mentioned reasons. NASSP could desperately use more advanced EVA functionality and if it is released under a GPL-compatible license we surely can make some contributions back to make both addons better. Unfortunately we won't be able to consider its adoption if you decide to keep it closed.
Hi Thymo, I would be more than happy to share the source with you for NASSP, I think the way I have it currently you could quite comfortably change alot of it to uniquely suit NASSP and compile it as a 'private build' unique to NASSP vessels :)

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hi All,

A couple points I wanted to get some opionions on:

Currently there are some universal limits, implemented for two reasons; to enable a count-limit while looping through arrays (this is necessary) and seccondly, limits are not rediculously huge to improve performance. These limits are:
  • crew limit per ship: 999
  • airlock limit per ship: 20
  • interface area limit per ship: 99
  • habitable area per planet: 99
Are these limits too constraining? I don't wish to make the limits too huge, but another approach I was considering was to have a universal config file where users could define the limits for their orbiter install. Any thoughts?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi All,

A couple points I wanted to get some opionions on:

Currently there are some universal limits, implemented for two reasons; to enable a count-limit while looping through arrays (this is necessary) and seccondly, limits are not rediculously huge to improve performance. These limits are:
  • crew limit per ship: 999
  • airlock limit per ship: 20
  • interface area limit per ship: 99
  • habitable area per planet: 99
Are these limits too constraining? I don't wish to make the limits too huge, but another approach I was considering was to have a universal config file where users could define the limits for their orbiter install. Any thoughts?

Use a std::vector there, saves you a lot of debugging and has no hard limits. If you don't want to iterate through a large vector every time step, iterate through it in batches.

If you want to use a unique ID through out all vessels, look at a std::map. A bit more complicated, but fast.

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I should have announced earlier that I already have a working implementation of UACS (Universal Astronaut and Cargo System). It's basically UCSO + oMMU, but there are far more changes than simply merging the 2 together (very little code was taken from oMMU, I essentially wrote the astronaut part from scratch). Everything is working well for an alpha release, but I have to write the docs for users and API. It's so boring that I am willing to pay someone to write it for me lol. Being busy with real-life doesn't help either.

I feel bad for delaying the announcement until you came up with this, so I am not sure what the plan ahead should be. The first alpha of UACS should be ready in a short time, I would say less than a month. What do you think?

UACS will be freeware and open-source of course. I will try to comment the source code as well as possible so it's easy for someone to take over in case I become too busy.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
Hi Thymo, I would be more than happy to share the source with you for NASSP, I think the way I have it currently you could quite comfortably change alot of it to uniquely suit NASSP and compile it as a 'private build' unique to NASSP vessels :)
That sounds cool. Do be aware that anything for NASSP must be GPL-2 compatible. We can't distribute builds containing non-free components.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That sounds cool. Do be aware that anything for NASSP must be GPL-2 compatible. We can't distribute builds containing non-free components.

Same here, but without the history - I just want that anybody at least has a small chance to compile it on Orbiter 2050. Thats why I think FOSS solves many problems here.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I should have announced earlier that I already have a working implementation of UACS (Universal Astronaut and Cargo System). It's basically UCSO + oMMU, but there are far more changes than simply merging the 2 together (very little code was taken from oMMU, I essentially wrote the astronaut part from scratch). Everything is working well for an alpha release, but I have to write the docs for users and API. It's so boring that I am willing to pay someone to write it for me lol. Being busy with real-life doesn't help either.

I feel bad for delaying the announcement until you came up with this, so I am not sure what the plan ahead should be. The first alpha of UACS should be ready in a short time, I would say less than a month. What do you think?

UACS will be freeware and open-source of course. I will try to comment the source code as well as possible so it's easy for someone to take over in case I become too busy.
Great I know you told me to keep it secret. Now we have 2 orbiter crew system in the works

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com

I have private messaged you

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hi All,

Just an update on this:

This project has been cancelled due to its imminent redundancy as @Abdullah Radwan will be soon releasing his UACS addon which combines with UCSO to create a UMmu/UCGO parallel.

I want to thank you for all your suggentions, kindness and support throughout this endeavour.

The code from OrbiterCrews was almost complete, and could with some modification be still compiled in addons which deliberately aim to restrict customizability (perhaps @Thymo if you wanted something more 'fully-integrated' for NASSP? just a thought...) if anyone is interested in this please feel free to private message me.

This project was sopposed to be implemented in another addon I am currently developing. This has quite a ways to go yet, but hopefull I will be able to give something meaningful back to the orbiter community soon :salute:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well at least someone is working on it.

I am willing to help in anyway

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hi All,

I know this thread is dead, but wondering if we have any updates on UACS? I know that @Abdullah Radwan has been working on UACS as a UMMU replacement for Orbiter 2016. I still do have OrbiterCrews almost ready for release, as I will be releasing a 'closed' / non-SDK version of this as part of another addon I am developing. If however, anyone is still interested in checking out OrbiterCrews, please let me know. As of now, I have a system ready to release (after beta testing, hopefully). My main concerns are as follows:

• I would not like to create devision among the Orbiter community by having two 'competing' astronaut addons in circulation. The great thing abount UMMU was it truly lived up to its name 'universal'.
  • Currently, my mesh for the astronaut is a modified, but very simillar version of Dansteph's UMMU mesh, I am not sure if this qualifies as "not violating copyright laws"...
  • pre-release testing, I would like to have this as bug-free as possible.

Just want to put some feelers out there, if anyone is still interested in this pelase let me know, and if anyone would be interested in trying this out before release (if it is released) please let me know too.

Most important thing I want to say, I am not trying to step on anyones feet here, jut the topic of UACS and a new astronaut addon seems to have gone dead.

Thanks in advance all

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I think I could also implement a similar functionality of crew exchange, EVAs and cargo handling within my own framework soon. Of course, it would be another platform, less interoperatability, etc. But it would be MIT licenced, so nobody should have any problems using it or maintaining it after I am gone.

And thats my main driver there - no being locked in to any closed source solution. Of course, I could also include support for other solutions there, once we HAVE enough choices there to pick.

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UACS was pretty much on hold in the previous period (only minimal coding) because I was taking a C++ course. It's a very long and detailed course (more than 100 hours), but it really made me a much better C++ programmer. I am currently working on refactoring existing UACS code to my new knowledge, before releasing an alpha.

I realize I took a very long time and I apologize for that, but I really wanted to take the course first before releasing UACS.