Does adding a base "mess" cfg files up?

FarOutInFernley

Reaction score
I still have a pretty much default Orbiter 2010 install, and the only addons i have installed so far is orbitersound, the DGIV, UCGO, and Orbiter Atmospheric Visual Enhancement V3. In my experiences with older versions, i have never tried to install a new base addon, simply because i am under the impression that it messes with the cfg file of the earth or any other planet or moon you want the base to go on and might "break" your install.

But i am highly impressed with the Wideawake International/Ascension Island addon and i am thinking of giving this a go. Can anyone tell me if it is really as simple as zipping it into the main orbiter directory and then go? Or are there cfg file lines to be added manually? I really am trying to keep this as simple as possible because I am going to try to create several USB sticks with Orbiter2010 and several addons installed on the sticks handy for friends, so when they see this magnificent program, i can just give them the usb stick and say "here ya go, try it yourself" Free of charge of course.

Any help or advice will be appreciated :thumbup:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
It's really as simple as unzipping it into the main directory, letting it overwrite any file/folders.

Also, JSGME is something worth looking in to. It allows you to install all your mods to a common folder (\orbiter\mods) and lets you enable or disable them at your pleasure.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If in doubt make a copy of your orbiter directory beforehand. I've got Overton & Ascension island bases instead and have had no issues.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
With Wideawake you will have to add some lines in your config/base.cfg file. If you don't do this all the buildings will be white icecubes, with no texturing. There is a page in the documentation that has exactly what to do, seriously, it's not difficult.

I do the same thing with a USB stick, I've got AMSO on that particular install, along with Wideawake, the XR-2, and Moonbase Alpha.

Hasso

Reaction score
...install a new base addon... ...might "break" your install...

Good question!

If you are going to install a very old addon things like that may happen.

Since Orbiter2006 (or 2006p1 maybe, i couldn't remember right) bases can be installed by just adding them to ..\config\$planetname\base\ . In the older versions the bases where items of ..\config\$planetname.cfg. So, if you are attempting to install an outdated addon, that need bases in the older form, in ORBITER2006 or 2010 you could blow up other addons or newer features.

There have been AUTOFCS or an older (but very good) autopilot with a lot of additional airports and their instrumental-approach-transitions for example.

The use of JSGME (suggested earlier) is recommended http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

Found that "old" AP:
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1468"]Autopilot 1.72 with AIRAC and worldwide Airports[/ame]
Very good stuff. But outdated unfortunately.
Some mates have used this addon to reproduce functions of original shuttle-guidence-systems (like roll-prg).

However;
Before installing this addon you should have a close look at all *.cfg provided.

Last edited: