Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
So, some guy did a near-perfect shot-for-shot remake of the first few minutes of flight footage from "Top Gun"... and it's pretty slick.

[ame]http://youtu.be/jsfeJS4KytQ[/ame]

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And today the F-16C has been released in early access:

Personally I'll probably buy it when it's more complete at a later date, though.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Man, they keep upping their game with these trailers... Talk about making the hair on the back of your neck stand on end!

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I will wait to buy the F-16 till they have finished it, maybe in the first discount offer, because of my expirences with the hornet. I love flying the hornet and it's still a great module, but I never thought that it will takes so long to complete this module (more than a year now?), so I decided to not buy an early access module again for the moment. In my mind they should have finished the hornet first before developing a new complex module like the F-16. Never the less, I'm sure that the F-16 is / will be a great module also!

Last edited:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Today I've seen this very good summary of DCS. I hope that the guys from ED will watch this ;-):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSTEopbdZ-o"]DCS: A Beautiful Mess. Its History, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - YouTube[/ame]

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Honestly, I couldn't agree more to what was said in the video.

It's irritating because DCS has it's moments where it's absolutely brilliant, but then on other occasions the core aspects are such a let down.

Changing topic: is anyone up for an online flight every now and then?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Changing topic: is anyone up for an online flight every now and then?

Still no replacement GPU/Computer. I suspect I'll need a year to get the A-10C skills back.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Still no replacement GPU/Computer. I suspect I'll need a year to get the A-10C skills back.
I tried to go back to flying after taking 6-8 months off (and changing computers) and I was so frustrated I gave up ha.

I used to be able to fly the A-10C in my sleep. It took me forever to map everything back to my stick/throttle and then I was still having issues remembering what the mappings were and what they did.

I would love to get back into it but I just don't have the time to dedicate to relearning everything. I feel it will be take a lot of time.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I tried to go back to flying after taking 6-8 months off (and changing computers) and I was so frustrated I gave up ha.

I used to be able to fly the A-10C in my sleep. It took me forever to map everything back to my stick/throttle and then I was still having issues remembering what the mappings were and what they did.

I would love to get back into it but I just don't have the time to dedicate to relearning everything. I feel it will be take a lot of time.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The main problem for me is always the emergency procedures... That is usually the point where I am busy searching.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
The main problem for me is always the emergency procedures... That is usually the point where I am busy searching.

"Just trim it out" :lol:

But don't worry, should we manage to setup the occasional online flight I was thinking at least initially about more of a "training range" setup since I'm a bit rusty myself.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but did someone else remember EF2000? It was a briliant combat flight simulator for MS DOS with "VR Support" ;-) (I never tested the VR functionality ;-)) and a cool dynamic campain. I guess it was before Falcon 4.0 in 1995! Just because the did series was missed in the video... Later they made F22 Total Air War, but then DID was closed I guess :-(

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY_3S-LJ8Us"]EF2000 'Training Missions (PC/DOS) DiD, 1995 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I had EF2000 in the Windows 95 version. The most epic feature of it was its dynamic campaign engine.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, recently I've been trying to get back into the Harrier, due to it being a much more mature product now and the addition of Baltic Dragon's excellent training missions:
EaBeD42.jpg

Such a FARP landing isn't something seen everyday:
MrMRcgG.jpg

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I like the feeling of flying and hovering the Harrier because it's the most similar feeling in DCS to fly the DG in Orbiter :lol:.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I never actually thought of that, but yes, it's indeed quite similar.

Except you have to watch your water level and after it's gone down you go like a rock.

If only the variant depicted in DCS could actually carry AMRAAMS:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, keep an eye on your fluids...

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The real A10's (It's my favorit modules in DCS) will get one more update in real life, and so thy will not be retired before 2030; So there is live in old hogs:

This will include

- New Wings
- New HMD
- Ground Radar Pod...
as far as I understood that video...

But I gues ED is not allowed to put this updates to in the sim :-(

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sound all like reasonable upgrades, especially the HMD makes sense for the A-10, if it is not the most complicated version, but more like in the Apache helicopters. Just don't put fragile stuff into it...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I didn't know it was good luck, popping flares after re-fueling.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I didn't know it was good luck, popping flares after re-fueling.

Well, remember the flame propagation speed is much slower than the speed of a fully-loaded american warthog...