OHM Delta IV Heavy - Multistage 2015

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: kyle

14/08/18 Updates to correct for missing meshes for EFT-1 fairings, missing second stage meshes, and other .ini updates. Also added a Europa Clipper mission.

This addon brings the Delta IV Heavy to life in Orbiter 2016 via Multistage 2015. Included missions are Exploration Flight Test (EFT)-1, Parker Solar Probe, and a 12,000 kg satellite for GTO missions. Credit to DaveS and Sputnik for creating the Delta IV EELV meshes.

Required addons (please install before launching scenario):

Recommended you have TransX or Interplanetary MFD for the Parker Solar Probe launch scenario.

DOWNLOAD

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Vandenberg missions still WIP, will update when done!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Works, but I get invisible boosters on the ETF-1 flight. I must be missing some add-on.

I understand why Velcro and Delta Vehicles are needed....
But it would be much better if the release was standalone for the rockets themselves.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a MS2015 Delta, looking forward for more!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Oof, I see the problem and I agree re: Velcro rockets. Updated.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

MS2015 question: I noticed at least on the EFT-1 webcast that the Delta IV Heavy doesn't immediately roll-pitch onto its proper flight azimuth; rather the vehicle appears to yaw first onto its proper azimuth with the boosters facing W-E, then rolls closer to BECO to where the boosters are N-S. How would I go about implementing these maneuvers into the guidance for MS2015?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
MS2015 question: I noticed at least on the EFT-1 webcast that the Delta IV Heavy doesn't immediately roll-pitch onto its proper flight azimuth; rather the vehicle appears to yaw first onto its proper azimuth with the boosters facing W-E, then rolls closer to BECO to where the boosters are N-S. How would I go about implementing these maneuvers into the guidance for MS2015?

I haven't tested your addon yet, so only looking at the EFT files: why did you add the pitch line in the guidance? pitch and orbit may act one against the other and cause some misbehaviour
Code:
0=orbit(185, 888, 28.532, 1)
-7=engine(0, 100, 7)
[B][U]20=pitch(89,35,160)[/U][/B]
44.000 =engine(100.00,55.00,3.00,0.00,0.00,0.00)
242.000 =engine(55.00,100.00,3.00,0.00,0.00,0.00)
375=fairing()
380=les()

second suggestion: I see you didn't specify a rollthrust parameter, try to set a very high number for it to see what happens: you describe a very slow roll, it seems to me that due to the large rocket the default value is too weak to make it happen correctly

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I found adding a pitch line in the guidance was an easier way to have the vehicle in the correct attitude throughout the gravity turn. I don't know if it's because the TWR is lower for the Delta IV Heavy, but I found messing with the alt steps in the scenario file usually resulted in the Delta IV Heavy way too low during the gravity turn, which resulted in the vehicle being in too low of an orbit. Adding in the pitch line resulted in much more consistent launch profiles.

With your second suggestion, I hadn't considered adding a rollthrust parameter, however if you watch the EFT-1 launch video you'll see that the Delta IV Heavy does a small roll after it clears the tower, and then the vehicle yaws to the correct heading with the boosters facing east-to-west, then by the time of BECO it rolls with the boosters facing north-to-south. The current guidance rolls the vehicle immediately after clearing the tower with the boosters facing north-to-south.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-iFUj7Jro4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-iFUj7Jro4[/ame]

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ok, I understand. In this case my best suggestion is to use the old roll and pitch programs (like it was for the original vinka module) for the very first part of the flight, with that you should be able to achieve the exact profile you need. Then let the orbit program jump in on the flight, so it will take you up to our orbit.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
ok, I understand. In this case my best suggestion is to use the old roll and pitch programs (like it was for the original vinka module) for the very first part of the flight, with that you should be able to achieve the exact profile you need. Then let the orbit program jump in on the flight, so it will take you up to our orbit.

Great idea, will give it a try!

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Update: Updates to correct for missing meshes for EFT-1 fairings, missing second stage meshes, and other .ini updates. Also added a Europa Clipper mission. Thank you BrianJ for pointing them out.

To do list: Vandenberg AFB scenarios, fix guidance for more accurate roll.

barrygolden

Reaction score
I really have enjoyed this addon this weekend. I had the Orion fly up to the ISS and was able to watch and track it as it flew up from the lower orbit. Really cool to watch. You might look at Scaling up the Rocket to fit the pad and harrington did a super job with the soot look on the cores after the engines lite

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I noticed that with EFT 1 the Delta is sitting too low on the pad

It's not the rocket that's too small; the pad's scaled too large, which makes the Delta look too small on the launch pad.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Really enjoying this but you might raise the Delta a bit on the pad and that should fix that issue

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Try raising the height in the MS2015 .ini file to 38 as opposed to 35, but again, I think the problem is the launch pad is slightly (10%) too large compared to real life, which makes the Delta looks too low on the pad.

barrygolden

Reaction score
that might need to be done in an update. it doesn't need to be perfect but would look better if it were raised. You might add some DOD sats or an new TDRS sat or a cargo container for the ISS with an upper stage