Software DDS opening problem

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
A while ago, while browsing the Orbiter directory, I found the DxTex.exe tool, and I opened texture files successfully.

Now, I'm trying surface base development with the Surface Base Wizard 1.3b. It seems that everything works, apart from the fact that runway segments window always displays "Run-time error '481': Invalid picture" and then closes SBW when I try to add a runway segment. I've also tried opening other base ".cfg" files with it, and when I click on a runway segment in the runway segments window, it also displays the same message before crashing the program.

Then I noticed that my DxTex.exe can no longer display ".dds" files correctly. After I open a ".dds" file in DxTex, only a black rectangle shows up. Same happens with opening ".bmp" files in DxTex. I've downloaded and extracted a clean Orbiter installation, and I also tried to open ".dds" files with the "clean copy" of DxTex, but it also displays the file as a black rectangle.

What's the problem here? I'd really like to join the community of Orbiter add-on developers but I'm getting stuck at even the first basic step :(

EDIT, I've searched the forum for "dds" but the various results, although very interesting, did not answer my question...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you have Photoshop or GIMP, I'd recommend you get the dds plugins for those programs. I have GIMP and its dds plugin and I can open and edit dds files like any other image file.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's more surprising that you got any image with DxTex.exe. Normally that tool just shows a blank rectangle, while never the less working fine.

As for the SBW problem, which sound like a separate issue - that's a question to it's author.

You can also try to check the dds file in question (if there is one) by some other viewer.

cr1

Reaction score
Would that mean that if I wanted to make runways for my surface base, it would still be possible if I typed the code in a program like Notepad?

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm sot sure it's possible, but see if you can re-install DirectX. Also, see if there are any updated drivers for you graphics adapter.

Also, try using GIMP or photoshop to open those files, that will help you determine if the problem is in the dds file, or if your computer has somehow lost or corrupted the DX libraries that allow most apps to access the dds files.

cr1

Reaction score
I installed the import/export DDS plug-in, and opened Runway2.dds successfully without any errors in Photoshop CS4. The runway parts showed up correctly and perfectly. So what could be causing the problem? Is it because SBW can not open that file but Photoshop and Orbiter can?

Also, can I edit and export DDS Orbiter textures in Photoshop?