New Release D3D9Client Development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It should be casting shadows. However, some bugs have been detected and I am working on it. I haven't had much time to code during the summer.
Thanks for the reply. I decided to do a bit of investigating myself and found that the self-shadows depend on on the focus vessel. After changing it to the ET vessel, the SRB shadows appeared: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cviz01acbdlvhdz/D3D9Client_selfshadows_on_ET.jpg?dl=0
This seems counter to the mapping setting which for me is "All visible objects".

florin_gh

Reaction score
AMSO Framerate drop

Having some issues with AMSO in the latest D3D9 and Orbiter 2010-P1.

For whatever reason whenever I launch the Saturn V, the FPS drops down to 1 FPS. I tried this in the inline client and I wasn't able to replicate it. Anyone else having this problem?

I have the same problem with d3d9 client, only when it is a night launch (for example Apollo 17). I don't know why this should occur...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have the same problem with d3d9 client, only when it is a night launch (for example Apollo 17). I don't know why this should occur...

Does the pad have lights that are on only at night?

Chris74

Reaction score
Hi! Im back after not using orbiter for years.
The 1st post is very confusing, especially w the italian language mirror.

is below the latest release for Obt2016?
D3D9Client2016-R3b per Orbiter2016

for me the gfx is barely better than the original, and with bugs...
  • horizon haze occludes objects in foreground
  • objects doesnt occlude sun flare, sun shines through ships etc., only planets occlude the sun.
  • sun strenght is weird, at jupiter, sun is basically not visible.
  • no cast or diffuse lights (eg from strobes, beacons)
  • whole visual looks kinda "off", like it needs to be tweaked yet a lot more... (effects, gradients, brightnesses etc.)

my question, is this the state of affairs in 2018, or im using an obsolete client?
thx :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Yes, D3D9Client2016-R3b is the latest version.
... And I don't get what is expecially confusing with the Tuttovola download mirror.
What would you like me to edit/change (I manage that page)?

Chris74

Reaction score
Yes, D3D9Client2016-R3b is the latest version.
... And I don't get what is expecially confusing with the Tuttovola download mirror.
What would you like me to edit/change (I manage that page)?

different newest version is stated in the 1st post and the linked mirror...
this is base to misunderstanding if someone just comes in and doesnt follow the thread.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

oh yea sorry, i didnt see the last part.
maybe its unnecessary to edit, i just wasnt sure im using the latest.

could it be that im on intel hd graphics 4600 causing that the effects are buggy...?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
The first post of the dev thread is, of course, very old and outdated.
For this reason, on the ita mirror's page I always add the link to the latest "release notes" post:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=576293&postcount=4520.
Later I'll try to make those links more eye-catching.

As for your graphics card, it could well be, but I'm no expert. I'd wait for some other's comments.

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
could it be that im on intel hd graphics 4600 causing that the effects are buggy...?

It's renning fine here with Intel HD Graphics 4000. Post-processing effects are experimental and can cause issues. So, it's good idea to test without them. Custom cameras should be disabled. (Bugs detected)

- Lights from strobes and beacons aren't implemented. (We never have had them.)

- The visual looks can vary from display to display. On my laptop computer Orbiter looks absolutely terrible. High contrast, dark shadows, very bright horizon. We probably could have a build-in display calibration in D3D9Client but it should be possible to do that from a graphics driver control center. I have never really used Orbiter on my laptop, so, I haven't looked into the calibration issues.

Last edited:

Rambler

Reaction score
Dumb question. I upgraded to the latest stable d3d9client last night, and I'm having an issue with the city night lights. They are much dimmer and more orange than in the version I was using before (can't remember what version it was). Is there a way to tweak the lights to get them brighter and change the color?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys, maybe you had to answer this a lot of time but I can't find it.

I just noticed that the goodies (my fault, after 100000 trials by myself...) has a very simple custom camera setup. But to reproduce it the files OGCI.h and OGCI.cpp are needed, I can't find them anyway, can I have an hint on that? does that work also on orbiter2016?

Thank you in advance!
Fred

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The OGCI.h and OGCI.cpp were present in the Orbiter 2010(-P1) packets of D3D9Client.
The current (Orbiter-2016 & -BETA) packets of D3D9Client have replaced them with a slightly different set of gcAPI.h, gcConst.h and Sketchpad2.h.
The sample code in the D3D9-Goodies.zip file seems to be based on Orbiter 2010 I think.

I might find the time in the next couple of days to create some packages that compile with the Orbiter-BETA...[*]

[*] The current version of D3D9Client however has introduced a nifty little bug, that will render the World "quite strange" once you've activated the custom camera, though ;)
That regression slipped into the code when Jarmo implemented the great "Vessel Shadows" feature.
As of now he had not found the time to fix that, so you might have to switch back to an earlier revision of D3D9Client to use the "Custom Camera" feature.

..stay tuned for further updates ;)

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So here it is: The Camera MFD for Orbiter 2016 & Orbiter BETA

But as I said: As this MFD uses the Camera API (obviously), it shows the ugly little regression that has been introduced to the latest D3D9Client builds.

As a matter of fact, some other issues had to be fixed in the D3D9Client code,
so attached you'll also find the according latest builds for them.

In the CameraMFD.zip you'll find a dll for either Orbiter 2016 or Orbiter BETA labeled accordingly.

! ! ! ! !
Again, these D3D9Client builds still have the "weird world when custom camera is used" bug!
So you can use it and see what it's like, but don't think these are official releases.
! ! ! ! !

Good night, have fun looking at the code :thumbup:

Edit 2018-10-12: The attached D3D9Client packages have been removed due to post #4592

Attachments

• CameraMFD.zip
    45 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
CTD with Camera MFD using the compiled version for Orbiter 2016 and the provided D3D9 build. When I open the MFD, the program freezes then crash. It's a clean Orbiter installation, just D3D9, and CameraMFD.

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    15.7 KB · Views: 2

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It crashes when I select it.:(

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
CTD with Camera MFD using the compiled version for Orbiter 2016 and the provided D3D9 build. When I open the MFD, the program freezes then crash. It's a clean Orbiter installation, just D3D9, and CameraMFD.

Hmm, I can not see anything unusual in your log. Everything looks O.K.

As I have currently no clue, here's the CameraMFD for Orbiter 2016 again (this time build with Visual Studio 2017).

Maybe this works better ( at all ;) )...

Attachments

• CameraMFD (2016) - vs2017-build.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm, I can not see anything unusual in your log. Everything looks O.K.

As I have currently no clue, here's the CameraMFD for Orbiter 2016 again (this time build with Visual Studio 2017).

Maybe this works better ( at all ;) )...

this link is reported as invalid attachment. Anyway if I use your compiled version it crashes, but if I compile the code it works nicely.

question, do the custom cameras work also on vessels different than the one in focus? If so, this would be a tremendous addition to my space network... if jarmo fixes the world bug (please jarmo :hailprobe:)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
question, do the custom cameras work also on vessels different than the one in focus? If so, this would be a tremendous addition to my space network... if jarmo fixes the world bug (please jarmo :hailprobe:)

Currently, custom cameras are tied to a focus vessel on a line 1701 in Scene.cpp. I don't know what happens if that "safety check" is removed. It depends on how the planetary surface manager (i.e. tile manager) is tied to the main camera and focus vessel. Also a distant vessels do not have a visual. So, there are a lot of potential problems.

A bug fix for a custom camera issue has been uploaded. Not sure if that addresses all the issues.