New Release D3D9Client Development

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's very much a work in progress......
It's an update of the craft at [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5105"]F-35B Lightning VTOL[/ame]
Each time I get to think I'll put it on Orbithanger, our professor brings out another refinement to Orbiter that is so cool I have to incorporate it !!
There's a myriad of improvements over the original, but I'm a rank amateur when it comes to programming so everything works only "more or less".
I'd SO like to improve the VC but my mesh building experience is zero !
I'm just moderately successful at modifying other peoples work - all credit to Kev33 for the original [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3091"]F-35B[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Confirmed running! :thumbup:

However, I noticed that there is some problem with dynamically adding animations to vessels at runtime... again. I haven't checked out the D3D9 source yet to do more serious debugging, so I can't tell why it crashes yet, but just for information, has anything in that department changed since my fix was integrated?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
However, I noticed that there is some problem with dynamically adding animations to vessels at runtime... again. I haven't checked out the D3D9 source yet to do more serious debugging, so I can't tell why it crashes yet, but just for information, has anything in that department changed since my fix was integrated?

No, I don't recall any changes on that sector. I reviewed the changes made during the past two months in vVessel.cpp and Mesh.cpp. Most recent is related to MFDs and an other is related to Reflections. Any ideas when the problem has appeared ?

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This latest version is absolutely fabulous!! Very good job, jarmonik, especially with the microtextures! Looks like real dust and pebbles texture. Does the microtexture also include normal maps? And the transparency is very good too!

Just one question. Earlier, I could force enable eqaa from the radeon settings in orbiter dx9, when running in full screen mode. This gave better performance than using in-built msaa of d3d9 client in full screen window mode.
Now, the driver is not able to force enable its own anti aliasing in d3d9, when in full screen mode. So, i am forced to use full screen window for anti-aliasing which doesnt give the best performance.
I use windows 10 64bit, radeon r9 270x, fx 8350.

Any solution? What do you think got changed? I upgraded directly from r45 to r47. I didnt use r46 and its d3d9 client. Now using r17e for beta 47

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does the microtexture also include normal maps?

No, but it's no problem to add since we already have normal mapped water. Everything that's needed in already there. I don't have right tools to provide a quality normal maps. So, if there is an artists willing to do a proper micro textures with normal maps then I will add the support. Shader code is in Surface.fx lines 511-525

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Any solution? What do you think got changed? I upgraded directly from r45 to r47. I didnt use r46 and its d3d9 client. Now using r17e for beta 47

Nothing has really changed in there. Can you confirm that it works if you roll-back to r45 ?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

No, since IMS2 didn't have animations up 'till now. I'll check back in once I know more.

BTW, are you talking about Orbiter Beta or 2010-P1 Build ? Also, if you want to help we can give SVN access rights.

Marg

Reaction score
OOOOH, I did not realize, Jarmonik has implemented microtextures (I understood only after reading Abloheet's post)...
I just a while ago updated to r.47 + appropriate d3d9 - Moon is unbelievable.
The only thing is that, for example, default Deltaglider works, but other addon meshes are not rendered... (SCA-747, Galaxy-C-5, Multistage etc...) hm...
SCA-747 at edwards AFB is invisible and debugger shows N/A meshes.
But scenery (mountains, etc.) is OK.
I spotted something like this in log file... but scenario was the same, and working previously (I think in r.44 or r.45 + appropriate d3d9.dll)

============================ ERROR: ===========================
Mesh file name not provided
[MeshManager::LoadMesh | .\Mesh.cpp | 1237]
===============================================================
000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: D3D9Client::clbkStoreMeshPersistent() hMesh is NULL

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, but it's no problem to add since we already have normal mapped water. Everything that's needed in already there. I don't have right tools to provide a quality normal maps. So, if there is an artists willing to do a proper micro textures with normal maps then I will add the support. Shader code is in Surface.fx lines 511-525

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Nothing has really changed in there. Can you confirm that it works if you roll-back to r45 ?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

BTW, are you talking about Orbiter Beta or 2010-P1 Build ? Also, if you want to help we can give SVN access rights.

I can give it a shot. Loaded the microtextures in GIMP, and I don't quite understand, even after looking at the corresponding code in Shader.fx.
I'd say that red and green channels are two different textures, and that the blue one is a sort of 'mix control' channel?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I just a while ago updated to r.47 + appropriate d3d9 - Moon is unbelievable.
Could someone please post some screenshots for raising my appetite? I can't try it out myself currently.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Beta, of course.

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with SVN, working with Git most of the time, but I was just about to get the source to do some debugging. Which branch is current? Beta3?

Also, I hadn't realised so far that you implemented microtextures, a feature pretty high on my wishlist but that I didn't expect anytime soon. Took the azure rover into the mountains behind brighton beach for a few kilometers, and... bloody hell, by now Orbiter is giving just about anything a run for its money! :blink:

Mars seems pretty crashy still, though there's a chance that is because I haven't updated to the new textures yet.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which branch is current? Beta3?

No such branch as Beta3 should exists. Latest stable code in located in trunk

svn://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/D3D9client/trunk

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with SVN, working with Git most of the time, but I was just about to get the source to do some debugging.

I had zero experience of any version control when started to use it with the project. I was skeptic about it at first and now I would do anything without it.:lol: So, low experience doesn't really mean anything.

Marg

Reaction score
I have a feeling that "spacecraft3" meshes are not rendered...
even multistage for BETA works, but not when payload is "LIVE", because LIVE payloads use (in my scenarios) spacecraft3 :(

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can give it a shot. Loaded the microtextures in GIMP, and I don't quite understand, even after looking at the corresponding code in Shader.fx.
I'd say that red and green channels are two different textures, and that the blue one is a sort of 'mix control' channel?

Yes, there are two different textures packed in red and green channels. And the blue channel is a Mix control. Alpha channel can be also used. It is also important that average value of each channel to be 0.5, otherwise micro textures would make the surface lighter or darker.

But of course, normal maps would need to be loaded as two separate textures.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

I spotted something like this in log file... but scenario was the same, and working previously (I think in r.44 or r.45 + appropriate d3d9.dll)

Mesh file name not provided
[MeshManager::LoadMesh | .\Mesh.cpp | 1237]

000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: D3D9Client::clbkStoreMeshPersistent() hMesh is NULL

First of all, can you check that it works with Orbiter Beta r.47 with it's own default engine ?

If there is a problem specific to D3D9 then could you provide links to an add-ons required to re-produce the problem with some instructions how to re-produce the problem. I would prefer add-ons those doesn't have a lot of dependencies to other add-ons.

What about Vinka's spacecraft4.dll would it be more Orbiter Beta compatible ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a feeling that "spacecraft3" meshes are not rendered...

Yes, I recall something like that. Some meshes are rendered and some are not. If the problem exists in sc4 then Vinka might be able to do something about it. I suppose I could have an other look into it but I fear there's not much we can do unless we missed something last time.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Got it. I'm on it. Thanks for the explanation.

It's also possible to increase the resolution to 1024 and reduce tile counts 32 and 512 to half to give a little more variations to the terrain. fAlpha is a body based scale factor (for the Moon it's 1.0 and for Mars it's 4.0).

float4 cMic1 = tex2D(MicroTexS, frg.texUV.xy*32.0f*fAlpha);
float4 cMic2 = tex2D(MicroTexS, frg.texUV.xy*512.0f*fAlpha);

I'll try to get the normal map support online a.s.a.p. so that you can see the actual results in action.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm somewhat unfamiliar with SVN, working with Git most of the time, but I was just about to get the source to do some debugging.

There's such a thing as git-svn ;) . If it is only half as good as the same thing in hg, it should get you there.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Unfortunately, SC4 suffers from most of the same problems as SC3 in the beta. E.g. jettison payload is not working properly, because it misplaces the payload.

We will all (again) have to wait for Vinka to recompile/adjust it for the beta...

Marg

Reaction score
First of all, can you check that it works with Orbiter Beta r.47 with it's own default engine ?

If there is a problem specific to D3D9 then could you provide links to an add-ons required to re-produce the problem with some instructions how to re-produce the problem. I would prefer add-ons those doesn't have a lot of dependencies to other add-ons.

1) Yes, they work in default Orbiter BETA r.47 (Jan 29, 2016), with its default engine.
2) [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6868"]Galaxy C5[/ame] (it a plane Galaxy C-5)
3) spacecraft4 - the same problem....

Actually until this moment spacecraft3 worked suprisingly well (except for that jetisson bug, and some minor issues).

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
1) Yes, they work in default Orbiter BETA r.47 (Jan 29, 2016), with its default engine.
2) Galaxy C5 (it a plane Galaxy C-5)
3) spacecraft4 - the same problem....
Actually until this moment spacecraft3 worked suprisingly well (except for that jetisson bug, and some minor issues).

If you go to Video->Advanced and then click "Create Symbolic Links" does the problem go away ?