Project CST-100

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Like mentioned earlier, info is pretty sparse. I've got some background info on the CST itself, as soon as I get the format hammered into something coherent, I'll send it to you for review. I'd like to include some "in situ" screenshots. Eli13's graphic is on the cover (and credited :thumbup:).
Right now it just looks like another generic CST promotional flyer.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Great!But I need some help on the textures now.It seems i'll have to use sketchup to texture the spacecraft,so my question is, how do you associate textures with a vessel in Orbiter?

Johnman

Reaction score
I don't know about texturing in Sketchup, but you can directly export it to Blender (with the Pro version), smart-unwrap UVs, texture and use this sexy thing to export it as an Orbiter mesh.

It shouldn't be problematic with relatively simple models like these. Btw, they're looking gorgeous.

I can make the conversion if you send me the sketchup files and the textures.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An inventory of upper stage diameters depicted and some that might be considered:

Don't forget the Rus-M (evolutive rocket family planned to launch the PPTS). ;)

Diameter of each booster (it's a "multicore" architecture, like the Delta4H) : 3.8 meters

ky

Reaction score
Actually I think I found a way to get the textures to export.I have to import the texture into sketchup,texture the model,and when I export the model,it places the textures into a seperate folder of the same name as the model.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

If that Delta CBC pictured above is the right size then your SM is still too big. They should be the same diameter.

If you'll look at the reference delta picture, the adapter cradle is tapering down to 4m because it's meeting the 4m delta IV medium upper stage, not the 5m CBC.

But look at this pic
ooDeltaIV.jpg

So right now I dont know which pic is right but I was originally making it for this.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Delta IV seen in that image is Medium+(4,2) which translates as CBC with a 4 m diameter upper stage and 2 Graphite Epoxy Motor(GEM)-60's. And the diameter of the CST-100 is 5 m so the adapter is 4 m in diameter on the bottom that interfaces with the upper stage and 5 m in diameter on the top that interfaces with the the CST-100 Service Module(SM).

ky

Reaction score
Ohhhh.Now I get it.I had to Rescale the Delta IV in the model to make the fairing so I dont think it's the correct size.Also im thinking of making a custon Falcon 9 for this.The Falcon 9 in the photo is the correct size.

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
Yes sorry if I confused you I meant that the CBC (Delta first stage) and SM should be the same diameter (5M) but that the cradle tapers down to meet the 4M upper stage.

Also how could I forget the Rus-M as a prospective vehicle? It's the one that's supposed to be for crew vehicles anyway, despite what Khrunichev says about Angara....

ky

Reaction score
I don't know about texturing in Sketchup, but you can directly export it to Blender (with the Pro version), smart-unwrap UVs, texture and use this sexy thing to export it as an Orbiter mesh.

It shouldn't be problematic with relatively simple models like these. Btw, they're looking gorgeous.

I can make the conversion if you send me the sketchup files and the textures.

Johnman,What filetype is needed for Blender?I've never used blender so dont considr this as a dumb question.

Johnman

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a dumb question!

Blender supports Collada (.dae), Wavefront (.obj), 3D Studio (.3ds), and more through plugins. As you may already know, you will need to produce .dds textures. NVIDIA has a free Photoshop plugin that may be useful here.

If you have never used Blender you will probably need patience to get started. Its interface is quite different to 3DS or C4D. Newer versions are more user-friendly though.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
The adapter is refered to as a "Boat-Tail"

Using the dimemsions given earlier in this thread you should be able to create a tube or cone with the CST-100 SM Diameter, then alter the bottom ring of vectors to meet the diameters needed from the list for each booster, having never needing to alter the CST-SM mating side. Probably about 4 or 5 boat-tails are needed. How to use them in orbiter I dont know.

Another wrench in the works,
You may need an interstage. A ring that is the same diameter as the CST-SM to clear the aft motors of the CST-SM It would be very short if needed, Just like the ring(interstage) on the S-I to SII of the Apollo, This will keep the SM engine exhaust cones from protruding out the sides of the boat-tail if the taper is to great or the length of the boat -tail is to short. It all depends on the booster and the CG for it.

To simplify things you could start with just the boosters that are the same size as the CST-SM

Tacolev

Reaction score
The artwork for this capsule has shown some ambiguity with regards to the necessity of an interstage segment. In the latest depictions, that ky has based his models on, there is only a small amount of overhang. It might just make sense to have the required half-meter or so of length integrated into the boat-tail meshes.

Dealing with the various boat tails while emphasizing maximum compatibility with a range of add-ons might just be the biggest hang-up about this project. Some add-ons, like those based on vinka's multistage2 and sputnik's velcro, require only the mesh, a mass, and a vector in the correct configuration or scenario file to deal with this problem. Others, like virii2k's delta and BrianJ's atlas are not so straightforward.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
^Wow! Nice point, who knew? 1/2 a meter isn't so bad, but whatever works is good for me, I'm a long way from thuroughly understanding the math, I hate algebra. I wish I could help more, but I'm at my knowledge limit here. Can't wait for add-on, I'm sure it will be fun to fly, like the rest.

ky

Reaction score
^Wow! Nice point, who knew? 1/2 a meter isn't so bad, but whatever works is good for me, I'm a long way from thuroughly understanding the math, I hate algebra. I wish I could help more, but I'm at my knowledge limit here. Can't wait for add-on, I'm sure it will be fun to fly, like the rest.

I wish I knew more too.And I wish the sketchup 3d warehouse had all the rockets that this spacecraft uses as a development point for me.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I wish everything made was in the same scale, but alas, we have to change scales of stuff we want to use together. I'm with ya bro, hang in there

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Oh btw, if you still need anyone to build a scenario I'd be glad to help. How's it coming along over the weekend?

ky

Reaction score
I'm still texturing and testing.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

And It would be great if you can.

ky

Reaction score
Can anyone texture the capsule?The .dae files and textures are attached at the bottom in the zip files in separate folders.

Attachments

• CST-100.zip
    4 MB · Views: 18

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I'll give it a try, no promises. I've never tried to texture a cone. Cylinders are different, and I'm getting better at them.

Gave it a go, but All I got was errors and a wire frame, Can you just save the file in native .skp(sketchup) format. Perhaps that will skin out the wire frame and I can texture it up with some realism from the images I have.

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Still in wireframe, the only texture that shows up is the blue patch. I'll send the missing texture report to the thread.

Attachments

• Texture_Miss.png
    Texture_Miss.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 15