Scenario Crawler and launchpad

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
Please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember an old add on, not sure for what version that you could use a crawler to get the shuttle to the pad and then add or mount.. Am I imagining this or did this exist. I have searched but can not seem to find what I remember. I am one of those obsessive players that would actually take the time to drive the shuttle, prep, and even let a 3 day moon trip run its course.. lol. There is another sim that I will occasionally leave the sun at the speed of light and see how far that I have gotten by the time I wake up lol.. Is there an add on like this, esp for 2010? Or is that a long gone thing or something that didn't exist at all? And if not would that be something that anyone would be interested in making and contributing to for 2016 or 2010. I am pretty new at mods and such, but learning quick and would help in whatever way that I could. Thanks as always guys, especially to the developers..

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well the SSU has a crawler. And the SLS will have a crawler also.

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
Hey guys since i posted this a bit back I hope someone has an answer. I have searched the forums before posting, maybe I overlooked it. If so I am sorry. But in the SSU crawler scenarios I can get the crawler to lift and retract but for the life of me I can not figure out how to move it. I have searched and I can't seem to find the read me file on it either. How to you drive it. What do you do to actually put it in motion??

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
SSU Crawler readme:

Crawler Transporter notes:

-Correct procedure for start up and general notes:
1: PARKING BRAKE OFF by depressing the BRAKE Push Button Indicator (PBI) on the left console and checking that the OFF light is illuminated
2: SELECT PROPULSIVE DIRECTION by depressing either the FWD or REV PBI. A green GO light should be illuminated on the selected PBI
3: Initiate motion by using the NumPad + key, Numpad - decreases the speed
4: Control is through the NumPad 1 and 3 keys

Shut down/securing is done by making sure that the Crawler is stationary and then going through the start up procedure in reverse (steps 3, 2 and 1), with the note that step 2 is depressing the NEUT PBI.
The actual speed can be seen on the MPH gauge on the top of the center console. Max speed unloaded is 2 MPH while unloaded is limited by computer to 0.8 MPH to avoid inducing harmful vibrations into the stack.
Do note that the Crawler accelerates very much like a train so don't expect on the dime stop, always plan your speeds ahead especially when you are approaching your target (your speed should then be below 0.1 MPH). The Crawler is equipped with a service brake which is actuated by pressing the B key.

General notes on steering:
-Make sure you always plan your trajectory as the Crawler has a built in delay in how fast it responds to steering inputs. This is due the fact that the Crawler steering system is entirely hydraulic and is done by hydraulically actuating 4 steering cylinders that are attached to each drive truck. The desired steering angles of the drive trucks on each end of the Crawler is displayed on the right console as is the actual steering angles. Also found on the right console is the three steering mode PBIs, only one can be selected at any given time. The three modes are GREAT CIRCLE (G CIRC) INDEPENDET (INDEP) where the drive trucks are disconnected from each other (meaning that steering commands input in one cab doesn't affect the trucks on the opposite end) and CRAB which allows the Crawler to move diagonally to sort out any misalignments between it and the MLP (or the mounts if the MLP is attached).

Then we have the Laser Docking System which allows the driver to visualize the horizontal (left/right) alignment between the Crawler and its target (either the MLP or the mounts if the MLP is attached). This is the large yellow rectangular box on top of the right console. None of the switches except for the CAB 1/3 switch actually work. This switch allows the LDS display to switch between the receivers mounted on each end so that the driver in the active cab can correct any rotational misalignments without communicating with the driver in the opposing cab. It's a STEER TO alignment system so if the black alignment bar is on the right you need to steer to the right and if it is on the left you need to steer to the left. The goal is to get the alignment bar in the very center of the display as seen from cabs.

The last item to be covered is the Jacking, Equalization and Leveling system also known as the JEL system. The JEL system is comprised of 16 hydraulic cylinders (4 in each corner of the Crawler). They can extended a maximum of 6 feet. The AVERAGE HEIGHT gauge on the right console is showing the averaged height between all four corners. When the Crawler is exactly level (not ascending or descending the pad ramp) the gauge shows the extension all JEL cylinders. To jack up the Crawler to pick up the MLP use the Ctrl-K key-combo. The Crawler will begin the ascent to DOCKING height where the top of the Crawler contacts the bottom of the MLP. The CTrl-K will again raise the Crawler/MLP to CLEARANCE height where the pins on the MLP is clear of the mounts. Once CLEARANCE height has been attained, the Crawler is ready for FIRST MOTION. Attaching/detaching the MLP to the Crawler can only be done in the DOCKING height as done by the K key. Ctrl-J does what Ctrl-K but in reverse, jacking down the Crawler. Proper procedure is to fully jack down the Crawler once the MLP has fully cleared the mounts either in the VAB or at the pad.

Technical notes:
The SSU Crawler is fully generic compatible with any launcher platform as long as the attachment point has the ID of XMLP. The attachment point on the launcher platform should be on the very bottom of the platform.

tornadotodd

Storm Chaser
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Doodlebug is fine
SSU Crawler readme:

Thank you very much. I use to just mess around with orbiter 2010 years ago but have more recently taken an interest in 3d modeling and learning to code. I wish I had done that years ago but better now than never lol. So hopefully I will soon be a contributor at least with some models in the future, but until then I have ALOT of learning to do.. Until then too I am sure I will have plenty of questions as well LOL. Thanks guys! Orbiter community is always great!