News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much this will hurt the younger kids? She's doing some basic algebra in grade 3, next years concepts should jump up also? Will we have a whole class of kids hobbled, or do ya'll think they are resilient enough to bounce back?

Being myself an educator I can only advise you to do your best to teach your kids (not easy, I know). Yes there will be serious consequences on academic level, so don't let it go, get yourself back in the books and do what you can. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I don't recall anything *called* algebra until middle school (6th-8th grade), but most of my actual education was either autodidacticism or stuff picked up from my dad on the side, so I don't really remember when I learned what concepts. I have a vague idea when they were taught, but not precise, because I was mostly reading ahead in the textbook and tuning out the class.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
From what i've heard "homeschooling" and "unschooling" is all the rage in USA right now.
So i guess kids should be fine somehow.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Coronavirus: 'I faked having Covid-19 on Facebook and got arrested'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52397294

"They said I had to stay overnight in the jailhouse because I had to wait for the judge to come in the next day. My anxiety was at an all-time high," Brandin says.
After a night in the cells he was released on condition of paying a $1,000 (£800) bail bond - and is now waiting for his trial to start.

"I have a bachelors of science degree in mass communications," he says. "I did it to prove how easy it is for anyone to post something online and cause panic.

"I wanted to prove that it is important for people to be educated and do their own research before assuming everything they read or hear is true.

"But because of a Facebook post I lost my job, my health benefits. I couldn't start my masters programme on time due to not having the money.
"It has put a financial burden on my entire family because they are all trying to help me pay my bills."

I'm not sure how much sympathy to have for this character. An incredibly stupid thing to do, and has its consequences.

fort

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52397294

I'm not sure how much sympathy to have for this character. An incredibly stupid thing to do, and has its consequences.

Something really stupid and perverse to do, yes. The problem is that it is difficult to prosecute all this erroneous, incomplete, streaked, twisted, incompetent information, because it would also be necessary to question many official media - the question for example of the uselessness of the masks, ( in in principle and therefore regardless of their priority availability), and the complacent manner in which it was treated by these media, abounding in the sense of what the politicians said, then holding a reverse discourse when the policies changed theirs, when we were able to start acquiring them. And as the health authorities did not agree among themselves, they could always hide behind a source, or an illogical argument, while a real journalistic investigation ... Did we for example produce a solid study showing that those who put on a mask no longer respect barrier gestures or hand disinfection? How many times have we been told this? Okay, a lot of people are not very smart, but it's not by taking them for fools that we progress in achieving a goal (*) These politicians, these authorities, these media, journalists, should be held accountable. This will not be the case.

As for the virus in the air, like a seasonal flu...

(*) It took for example a considerable time to the "authorities" in their communication to pass from messages in terms of "it is necessary"(**) ( to wash your hands for exemple) to others in terms of "it is necessary because" ... And the comprehension which one could have some could then become very different and much more profitable, enlightened, fair, appropriately applicable, adequate.

(**) ( advertising type slogans are not necessarily the best suited for health instructions even if, for example, "e pericoloso sporgersi" on the wall of a railway wagon may not need to be motivated by additional lines.)

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't have Facebook, probably never will, so I don't really understand its appeal. It appears to be a public/private noticeboard?

He must have assumed his message was private among friends?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't have Facebook, probably never will, so I don't really understand its appeal. It appears to be a public/private noticeboard?

No, it is rather a system to make you angry, because some people found out that things that cause strong emotional reactions are generating more attention and thus more income. And making people angry is easier than other emotions, they are all going by Hitlers playbook there today.

If you plan to use it, use it in small doses only. Its much better if you ignore most of it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Non of my friends has it, and phone and email do fine.

I was curious as a lot of software and other companies I'm interested in have pages.

Same with the twitter thing. I did sign up to spacex feed and now get bombarded with jumk.

Guess they sell your details to others.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Non of my friends has it, and phone and email do fine.

I was curious as a lot of software and other companies I'm interested in have pages.

Same with the twitter thing. I did sign up to spacex feed and now get bombarded with jumk.

Guess they sell your details to others.

Twitter can be a very useful tool, if you filter a lot. I started with Twitter for getting news from the public transportation service of Cologne quickly while I was there. And it worked fine that way.

SpaceX or ESA are a bit annoying sometimes, because they tend to make every tiny event of the day something important enough to notify you.

But I don't want to miss them. Just like the Zeppelin Museum or the German Tank Museum. And of course, the Holocaust Museum - if you ever wondered what evil man can do.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed, if they would stick to main items I wouldn't mind.

Finally got rid of all twitter stuff, don't know how? Do it the old way now, go looking at sites I'm interested in and allow their emails.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I don't have Facebook, probably never will, so I don't really understand its appeal.

:thumbup: I have it for some space related groups. Specific stuff like soviet space, skylab fans, etc. Got access to some uncirculated videos and documents that way.
But I don't use it for any "social" stuff.

To get updates I prefer Instagram, where you have a better signal to noise ratio ;)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
We just got an "official" email from school, explaining to us that the planned restart of the 4th grade next week was cancelled, despite already equipping them with masks.

Here they'll stay closed for the year, with remote learning having to do it for the remainder of the school year (which usually ends around the 10th of June or so, for reference).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here they'll stay closed for the year, with remote learning having to do it for the remainder of the school year (which usually ends around the 10th of June or so, for reference).

Probably best given the magnitude of the disease in Italy.

Slovenia is reopening schools on May 18th. We closed everything quickly and we never had an explosive exponential growth period.

Keatah

Reaction score
Important to remember there: Those antibody tests have a high false-positive rate and discovering antibodies is no indication, that people are immune to the virus.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-antibody-test-results-new-york-test.html

Not only that. And even if it were accurate, which it isn't, there is the question of time and how many antibodies are present.

How many antibodies does one need? It will be different for each person.

How long till they fall below an effective concentration? No one knows. And it's likely to be different for each person.

Basically a lot of variables here. Always lotsa variables with biology.

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZq-8Bq3mkU"]Why Don't We Have Better and Faster COVID-19 Tests? | SciShow News - YouTube[/ame]

richfororbit

Reaction score

I gave this clip a watch. They definitely support the people out there opening up.

A financial crisis is in the long run, the virus may of just accelerated that, in Mr Paul's view. "Government can never be fair, only to the bureaucrats". "Free markets, people get richer than others, okay if wasn't gotten dishonestly from the government. Only hard work" some half typed quote from him in the last seven minutes of the clip.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I do understand small businesses defying the lockdown when support for them by the government in this situation is that abysmal. Running a small business very much requires a "do or die" attitude to begin with, and that's unlikely to change overnight.

We might actually be facing a similar issue in Switzerland. The government has overall done a decent job, but there is one major blunder: The gastronomy (restaurants etc) has not been considered at all in the easing of the lockdown rules, despite businesses and unions cooperatively suggesting guidelines that they consider save for a limited re-opening. As far as I know, the government hasn't even commented on their submissions.
The rub is this: It's estimated that if restaurants cannot reopen in a limited capacity or get more government support until June, we might lose up to a whopping 50% of them. I sure hope the government is in talks with the unions and the "Gewerbeverband" (I don't even know if there's an equivalent concept in english... it's basically a union, but for business owners in a certain industry/profession), because if not, this could get really nasty.

My favourite restaurant in our village (which has only 2 left to begin with) will have to close in June after just opening a year ago or so, I would honestly hate for that to happen, they're great people.

Status
Not open for further replies.