Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If terrorists did hijack the plane why haven't they done something with it? What are they waiting for?

For the search to be called off and a few years to pass, so that everyone forgets about the plane would be my guess.

But even if the plane got hijacked, flown to another destination, the crew and passengers killed, there aren't all that many places that:
1. Have the infrastructure capable of servicing, fueling and storing a Boeing 777.
2. Where a 777 would go unnoticed.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Exactly. It's also not really in a terrorists mind to steal a 777 and then hide it for a few years. If you are a terrorist and you have such a weapon why not use it now before the military upgrade their radar systems in the wake of the theft.

No, terrorism doesn't fit.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very true. And there were only so many places/airports it could reach with the fuel it had on board. If it landed in any of those areas, especially if it's a place you're not used to seeing a 777, I'm betting someone would have noticed it.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
:uhh: Uhh...didn't we discuss hijacking earlier in this thread?

If it was a hijack then it was a hijack gone terrible wrong.

cough, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961"]Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961[/ame], cough...

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Why are you quoting me?
Just look a few posts above mine if you care.

I was just providing a example... :(

Since Flight 961 is "novel" example of what you had said; a hijacking gone terribly wrong. In where the would-be hijackers overestimated the plane's capability at that time, and their "ignorance" cause the flight to crash, near a inhabited beach, as opposed to what a similar scenario for MH370 would have done. As in the middle of the ocean.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Another "issue", unrelated to MAH370, that bother me is the fact that people can get into the undercarriage wells of airplanes undetected.

I refer to the 15-year-old boy who sneaked into the wheel well of a Boeing 767 and flew from San Jose, California, to Maui, Hawaii.

What if a terrorist uses this method and explode a bomb in midair?

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another "issue", unrelated to MAH370, that bother me is the fact that people can get into the undercarriage wells of airplanes undetected.

I refer to the 15-year-old boy who sneaked into the wheel well of a Boeing 767 and flew from San Jose, California, to Maui, Hawaii.

Terrorists aren't likely to do that anymore. Now that somebody managed to do it by accident, the ground crews are probably more on alert.

Or not.

It only works the first time, right? because the fact that we have to remove our liquids, belts, shoes, and get every inch of ourselves inspected on a TSA scanner is because of something that happened once...

They do catch this much stuff in a week:
http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-week-in-review-26-loaded-firearms.html

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

We'd have found the debris along it's flight path. Nothing in that scenario explains the cut off of communication, the left turn on the 7 hours of pings.

I was just providing a example... :(

Since Flight 961 is "novel" example of what you had said; a hijacking gone terribly wrong. In where the would-be hijackers overestimated the plane's capability at that time, and their "ignorance" cause the flight to crash, near a inhabited beach, as opposed to what a similar scenario for MH370 would have done. As in the middle of the ocean.

Sorry, no.

The terrorists did NOT over estimate the planes capabilities. They simply missed the fact that planes are never fully fueled.

The Captain did the job of keeping the plane flying with the coastline in sight. This is why when it crashed it was very visible.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Sorry, no.

The terrorists did NOT over estimate the planes capabilities. They simply missed the fact that planes are never fully fueled.

That's what I meant when I said that. They underestimated (or overestimated?) the plane's capabilities in that situation by assuming it could fly to Australia (just because the 767 in general could have done such a thing) and neglecting the fact that it didn't have enough fuel to get there even 1/4 of the way.

MH370 had enough fuel to go to a lot of places, unfortunately. Which also means that if more sensible terrorists took the plane, they might have known where they were going with regards to their fuel situation. As a reference, the 9/11 terrorists all specifically chose flights that had a lot of fuel in them because they were long flights (all of those planes were on cross country routes), even if their purpose was different from Flight 961 and (supposedly/possibly) MH370.

Melvin

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that a large airliner has "gone missing" with many souls aboard and modern technology can't (hasn't and imho won't) find it.

Why has there been no search of the northern arc?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that a large airliner has "gone missing" with many souls aboard and modern technology can't (hasn't and imho won't) find it.

Why has there been no search of the northern arc?

I presume they are satisfied with the technical analysis from Inmarsat that effectively dismissed the northern arc.

I'm just amazed that after detecting strong ping signatures way back when, even for 2 boxes, they still have had no luck finding them. It's all a delicate balance of the amount of burn-rate of cost of assets being used, versus the desperate need to find the vessel to figure out what happened and to give some closure to the families of those lost.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I presume they are satisfied with the technical analysis from Inmarsat that effectively dismissed the northern arc.

I'm just amazed that after detecting strong ping signatures way back when, even for 2 boxes, they still have had no luck finding them. It's all a delicate balance of the amount of burn-rate of cost of assets being used, versus the desperate need to find the vessel to figure out what happened and to give some closure to the families of those lost.

Not just that, The northern route crosses into some very heavily monitored airspace. Even if MH370 had fly North it couldn't have gone for more than 2-3 hours without popping up on someones radar, somewhere.

MH370 had enough fuel to go to a lot of places, unfortunately. Which also means that if more sensible terrorists took the plane, they might have known where they were going with regards to their fuel situation. As a reference, the 9/11 terrorists all specifically chose flights that had a lot of fuel in them because they were long flights (all of those planes were on cross country routes), even if their purpose was different from Flight 961 and (supposedly/possibly) MH370.

Possible but this just throws up another problem and that is - Why was the final communication normal? At this point in the flight some of the equipment had already been turned off, that can only be done from the flight deck or the avionics bay.

Whilst I think that this is quite a likely scenario it does still leave a lot of questions answered.

Castor

Reaction score
More:
Who has the data investigators used to shape their search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, and why hasn't it been released to the public?

The answer to those questions depends on who you ask.

Facing a growing chorus of criticism from scientists and family members who want to see more details about why searchers are combing the southern Indian Ocean for the missing Boeing 777, Malaysia's top transportation official Thursday claimed his country doesn't have the raw data from the satellite's communication with the plane as it flew thousands of miles off course.
The data is crucial because it's what led investigators to the area where they're currently searching for the plane. And in recent days, some scientists outside the investigation have suggested they don't trust investigators' analysis of the data, and questioned whether searchers are even looking in the right place.
"The raw data is with (satellite company) Inmarsat, not with Malaysia, not with Australia, not with Malaysia Airlines, so if there is any request for this raw data to be made available to the public, it must be made to Inmarsat," Acting Minister of Transportation Hishammuddin Hussein said.
Australian officials heading the search in the Southern Indian Ocean tell CNN they don't have the raw data, either.

But Inmarsat, which owns the satellites, insists that the data has already been released to investigators.

"Inmarsat's raw data was provided to the investigation team at an early stage in the search for MH370," Chris McLaughlin, the company's vice president of external relations, told CNN's "Erin Burnett: OutFront."

He added, "We have very high confidence in the analysis of this data, which was independently evaluated by the international teams accredited to the official investigation."

It's up to investigators, he said, to decide what they want to release -- and when. The company says the Convention on International Civil Aviation prevents the release findings from an investigation without the consent from the state conducting the investigation.

"I don't know who to believe," CNN aviation analyst Miles O'Brien said. "But isn't it awful that it's quite evident somebody is lying here? Somebody is lying. We're talking about something that involves a missing airliner, now 70 days. Lives lost, families shattered. And there (are) people lying about this. This is absolutely reprehensible. I can't even believe...it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic."

Aviation attorney Arthur Rosenberg said he thinks the satellite company is obligated to release the data, whether or not Malaysian authorities have it.

"Unfortunately, you almost get the sense that they're stalling, that there's something in there that they don't want the world to see. And that's the problem," O'Brien said. "That's why there's so little credibility right now about why this search zone has been identified."

Castor

Reaction score
Following accusation that Inmarsat has misinterpreted the data, the same is to be made available for public scrutiny.

The raw satellite data used to shape the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 could soon be made public, according to a senior Malaysian official.
Publication of the raw data could allow for independent analysis. Until now, the Malaysian government, which is in charge of the investigation, and Inmarsat have declined to release it.But on Tuesday, Inmarsat -- the company whose satellites communicated with the missing plane in its last hours -- and Malaysian officials said they are working on making more information public.

"In line with our commitment towards greater transparency, all parties are working for the release of the data communication logs and the technical description of the analysis for public consumption," Inmarsat and the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation said in a joint statement.

Although Malaysian officials told CNN last week that their government did not have the raw data, Inmarsat officials said the company provided all of it to Malaysian officials "at an early stage in the search."The data were gathered through a series of "handshakes" between the plane and Inmarsat satellites as the aircraft flew off-course for hours.

"We've shared the information that we had, and it's for the investigation to decide what and when it puts out," Inmarsat Senior Vice President Chris McLaughlin said last week.The data were used, in combination with calculations from other entities including Boeing, to produce a series of maps that concluded the plane was somewhere along a huge arc that ended in the southern Indian Ocean.

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yes, with a distinct lack of anything physical, everyone is questioning what they thought they knew. Not unexpected, but we now we are not even sure what we know.

Castor

Reaction score
I agree completely with you. Indian director Rupesh Paul's "The Vanishing Act" has been met with strong opposition, even while production is ongoing. Some parts of the film including a romantic subplot are, in my opinion, extremely offensive. This site details the prominent criticism.

This is the director's response to the critics:

The Indian director behind a contentious movie about missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has defended his project against criticism, insisting the families of passengers will be unaffected and promising his storyline will not be exploitative.

Rupesh Paul said his film, Vanishing Act, which is currently being touted to investors at Cannes film festival, would work as a standalone thriller no matter how real-life events play out. The film-maker, whose previous movies include The Secret Diaries of Monalisa (2011) and The Temptation Between My Legs (2008), denied suggestions that the new film might take advantage of the story of flight MH370.

"Our movie is a thriller," Paul told the Hollywood Reporter. "It will not be based on stupid things. There will not be a [gun] and there will not be any aliens. The controversy [of the missing plane] will help indirectly, but we are not cashing in on the flight." The director, who is also pitching his film Kamasutra 3D, a stereoscopic take on the manual of erotica, at Cannes, said no one had complained about Vanishing Act.

"People do not want a documentary, they want a thriller," he added. "Why should I make a movie … that does not attract people?"