Vessel Commerical LEO destinations and other space stations

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got this guy. I am sure more textures can be made.

Attachments

• SPACEXGUY1.jpg
    SPACEXGUY1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8

barrygolden

Reaction score
Space X has not released a photo of its EVA suit yet. Might be cool to see the suit more like the photo I sent. It would need a small back pack

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0617m.jpg0650m.jpg

Double-feature: The version 03 contains the classical Axiom station, as well as the rotating long-term concept.
The classical station has now a dll-module, allowing it to use key commands, an EVA astronaut and a very basic virtual cockpit (sorry, not live MFD's yet).

The rotating station is for fun! The concept goes back to von Braun's orbital station, 2001 Odyssey in Space and Orbiters Luna wheel.
Challenge: After you manage to dock, undock, stabilize, fly around the station and dock to the rear port. :)

Attachments

• Axiom-03.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
In the video is explained, a feature is that individual modules can be discarded and de-orbited. This is seen as an advantage, as it is not necessary to dispose off the entire station, just when single modules become old or obsolete.

However, this does not say how the power for the big station is produced, or how the waste heat is removed. No solar panels or radiators are shown in their concept.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
0765.jpg

Small update to version 04. Added a better astronaut figure for EVA. Use the [V] key to EVA.
Cleaned up some meshes. Scenarios updated, please delete the Axiom scenario folder before installing this version.

Still I am hunting a (mesh?) bug: When quitting and restarting the Current State.scn I get occasional CTD's when Axiom is loading. Maybe even when trying a second time, but when I try a third time everything runs fine. Odd. Please let me know, if you also experience this kind of behavior. ;)

Attachments

• Axiom-04.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
And no windows to look out? Like living on a submarine.
For power and thermal, maybe an arm from each segment inward between spokes articulating to follow the sun, solar panels on the sun side and radiators on the shade side.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
0118m.jpg

This is a first shot of the VAST space station Haven-1. This small station can be launched on a Falcon9 and can extend the duration of a Crew Dragon mission up to 1 month. It provides living space, provisions for the crew and a large viewing cupola on the front.

The addon is still very basic, just a model and a config file.
I am not too sure on the textures. Published renderings show both shiny and dull surfaces.

The scenarios require the Crew Dragon and Falcon9 addons to be installed.

Attachments

• VAST-00.zip
    489.1 KB · Views: 8

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 31981

The rotating station is for fun! The concept goes back to von Braun's orbital station, 2001 Odyssey in Space and Orbiters Luna wheel.
Challenge: After you manage to dock, undock, stabilize, fly around the station and dock to the rear port. :)
As a modular approach (apparently), that's a nice wheel station, that could even be larger, couldn't it?. 2 questions:
  • with this size, what should be the rotation to provide 1G at the periphery?
  • as you must dock at the center, would it be do-able to add an animation - like an automated rail or something - that takes the vessel, once docked, and brings it somehere else in a parking lot of the structure (on the arms or at the peripheral), so more vessels can dock and the station be populated :) ? In this concept, the undocking is quiet fair because it provides a small dV to push the vessel at some distance
I've got ideas for that if feasible...........

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
The diameter of the wheel is around 90 m. With a rotation speed of 3 rpm a 'gravity' of 0.43g can be achieved. To reach 1g a frequency of 4.5 rpm would be needed.

While this still seems reasonable, the stress on the structures and cables would increase quite a lot. We have 1 g here at Earth. When you look on the cables of a suspension bridge, this gives a good impression what is needed to support structures at 1g.

Actually, the rotating station was just a fun piece, added to the Axiom station. I think it is quite unrealistic, as it has no power supply, etc. For now I will probably not put any more work into it.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, the rotating station was just a fun piece, added to the Axiom station. I think it is quite unrealistic, as it has no power supply, etc. For now I will probably not put any more work into it.
too bad, I'll have to add it to my own to-do-list... :) but nice tries

"realism" is not a must, as long as physics is still behind, imagine new raw materials, etc... from @Max-Q 's link, radius 100m yields 1G with 3RPM... but, indeed, heavy load on the structures... I think we can have something modular with many "lifts" from center to periphery like a bicycle wheel, each radius going to the junction of 2 peripheral modules and docking system at the junction to park/undock the vessels... something like that.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
0130m.jpg0133m.jpg

When playing around with the VAST space station, the resemblance between the Falcon9 upper stage and this station becomes apparent. The German space news channel Senkrechtstarter speculates that the pressure hull of the VAST station is in fact a Falcon9 upper stage Oxygen tank, with micrometeorite protection panels and other stuff attached to it.
This makes sense, as it will speed-up the development of the new station.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
View attachment 33560View attachment 33561

When playing around with the VAST space station, the resemblance between the Falcon9 upper stage and this station becomes apparent. The German space news channel Senkrechtstarter speculates that the pressure hull of the VAST station is in fact a Falcon9 upper stage, with micrometeorite protection panels and other stuff attached to it.
This makes sense, as it will speed-up the development of the new station.
Looks like the good ol' dry workshop concept Skylab was based around is back! I wonder if there is anything SLS-based out there on the drawing board... Maybe try to do something with the big orange first stage as a wet workshop?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Looks like the station needs a customized adapter ...
Yeah, you are definitely right!
There is a ring at the base of the cylindrical module, which will probably connect to a supporting cradle, specifically designed for this payload.
The station itself fits pretty snuggly into the standard Falcon 9 payload fairing.

VAST stowed.jpg

Last edited: