OHM Chariklo

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: piper

10199 Chariklo is the largest known Centaur (minor planets orbiting between the orbits of Jupiter and Neptune), and currently the only known rocky body in the solar system to have a set of rings.

Included in this add-on, is a small hypothetical shepherd moon orbiting just outside the outermost ring of Chariklo.  While the existence of a shepherd moon/moons hasn't been proven yet, it is highly likely based on the geometry and state of Chariklo's rings that there is at least one moon, and the properties of the hypothetical moon has been designed to be consistent with those rings.

DOWNLOAD

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks for the upload! Now to plan a mission to this bad boy!

Castor

Reaction score
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Both Chariklo and its moon are made beautifully. :cheers:

However, would it possible for you to create a base or so where the mesh intersects the actual surface ? 35.51° north and 0° east works, but the craft is tilted w.r.t. the surface.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
Very nice,would a prelude mountain pad work as a base:cheers:?

gertz

Reaction score
Whoa, great!
It worked out well!

Looking at the textures Chariklo and its satellite use make me want to completely re-draw my 5631.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
For a base, I recommend what T1234 said, use a Prelude base. If you don't have it already, you can get it with Dan Steph's DGIV. The base is technically a vessel, so you can just add it in with the scenario editor and place it at the coordinates you gave.

I definitely recommend flying out to Chariklo with a Chapman probe. The way I did it, was to launch on an Atlas 552 in 2015 out to Jupiter, slingshot to Saturn, and finally slingshot to Chariklo. In this case when you fly-by Saturn, you actually need to do it in a retrograde manner, which slows you down. You go from a hyperbolic orbit between Jupiter and Saturn, to an elliptical orbit between Saturn and Chariklo. I wasn't able to get into orbit, even with the slow-down at Saturn you're still going too fast to brake into orbit around Chariklo, but you definitely get one heck of a view :)

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Where did you get the Atlas 552?

I've been interested in updating Chapman probe for some of the newer launchers that are around. For example, I've done the configuration for Neptune-1/Fregate here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32732&highlight=chapman

I don't think Neptune-1 has the delta-V to get to Jupiter. Jarvis-S is overkill. I might try Thorton's Proton, or something else.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Where did you get the Atlas 552?

I've been interested in updating Chapman probe for some of the newer launchers that are around. For example, I've done the configuration for Neptune-1/Fregate here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32732&highlight=chapman

I don't think Neptune-1 has the delta-V to get to Jupiter. Jarvis-S is overkill. I might try Thorton's Proton, or something else.

There's an old AtlasV add-on on Orbit Hangar that I've used for years. I'd post a link to it but I'm writting this from work, and my work blocks Orbit Hangar :( As add-ons go, it's pretty old (I think it's from 2004), the launching pad for it seems to disapear behind Cape Canaveral's terrain, and overall it really needs to be updated, but I find it still works really well. It doesn't have a launch autopilot, and it takes just about every last drop of fuel to launch a Chapman-Outer out to Jupiter, so you absolutely have to be able to efficiently launch a rocket into LEO yourself. But if you are good at doing that, it really will take you anywhere in the solar system. After-all, once you can get to Jupiter, you can sling-shot to just about any spot in the Solar System.

Another one that might work, is a Falcon 9 rocket. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it might have enough thrust. One that should absolutely work is one of the Delta IV rockets. A Delta IV-M probably is all you need. I tried this myself, but for some reason the autopilot was glitching pretty bad (it would be climbing normally, and then all of a sudden if would flatten out and spin wildly in circles). Maybe I'll try launching it manually, I really want to see just how big of a Delta IV I need to get a Chapman to Jupiter.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Delta IV has several issues. One is that the rockets vastly over-perform from published capabilities, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Another is that the autopilot holds heading during the launch, so it is very difficult to launch into a precise plane such a you would need with IMFD or TransX.

fullarmor2

Reaction score
"However, would it possible for you to create a base or so where the mesh intersects the actual surface ? 35.51° north and 0° east works, but the craft is tilted w.r.t. the surface."

You could make a copy of Hall Base and use that. Rename it after the person who discovered Chariklo.

I went ahead and downloaded this and I really like it! I made copies of Hall Base and I put one on Chariklo and one on the moon. And I completed a flight to it from LEO in the Arrow Freighter already. It looks REALLY good! There is only one thing I would improve if I could and that's the rings. They look fine from far away. But when I'm close to it the rings don't look realistic. To be realistic, I imagine that while flying near the rings it would look like a haze or a cloud with depth to it.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
Delta IV has several issues. One is that the rockets vastly over-perform from published capabilities, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Another is that the autopilot holds heading during the launch, so it is very difficult to launch into a precise plane such a you would need with IMFD or TransX.

What Delta IV addon are you using?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556"]Delta IV Launch Vehicles 3.0[/ame]

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Ok, since discovering this addon some 3 days ago, I decided to come up with a slingshot solution for earth to chariklo. But only 1 slingshot trajectory was insufficient, it just wouldn't be suitable in all situations. So I came up with half a dozen of them. ;)

I have solutions for almost all situations. In general, as time of flight increases, encounter velocity decreases & vice versa.

Have enough fuel to get to Jupiter(from earth) and want to do a quick fly-by of Chariklo? YOU CAN

Want to land on Chariklo using the least amount of fuel? YOU CAN

Want to land on Chariklo but want to make an equal compromise on the time of flight and the encounter velocity? YOU CAN

These and many more in my scenario pack.

DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Here's a table outlining some of the more technical aspects of my scenario pack.

Chariklo_zpsm0vbjzhb.png

Attachments

• Chariklo solutions.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: