Flight Question change the orbiter elements with the thruster

weiqi

Reaction score
I have added some thrusters to the satellite which I have created by myself. However, when I use the thrusters to change the Orbiter, the satellite just rolled around. I don't know what's the matter behind this, could anyone help me? Thank you!

Tommy

Reaction score
Possibly the thrust vector is not aligned with the COG? Or double check your thruster groupings? You really don't give us much info to use diagnosing this.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, is this a Spacecraft3 vessel or a .dll vessel?
If the former, did you specify an EX_MAIN section?
If the latter, how have you defined the thrusters in the source file?

weiqi

Reaction score
Ok, is this a Spacecraft3 vessel or a .dll vessel?
If the former, did you specify an EX_MAIN section?
If the latter, how have you defined the thrusters in the source file?
Thank you for paying attention to my question. It's a .dll vessel. If the thruster force vector doesn't pass through the satellite's center of gravity, it will make an angular accleration, don't think so? So I want to know what's the defination of the center of gravity in Orbiter or what should I do to find the coordinate of the grabity center?

Thanks for your help!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
So I want to know what's the defination of the center of gravity in Orbiter or what should I do to find the coordinate of the grabity center?
The centre of gravity is always {0,0,0} in local vessel coordinates. If you want to avoid a thruster making angular accelerations the thruster must act through that point or have a pair (or more) of thrusters so that their torque balances out. For example, these would be OK:

1. Thruster attack point {0,0,-2}, thruster direction {0,0,1}.
2. Thruster attack points {-1,0,-2},{1,0,-2}, thruster direction {0,0,1}.