Can't get started!

golfman

Reaction score
Hi all

I Cannot download Orbiter. Seems to be a block of some sort with VISTA?

Does anyone have a suggestion/solution? When I say cannot download Orbiter what I mean is I can't seem to open it with Winzip. The folder I created is empty yet winzip can find the zip file but cannot open it some kind of violation.

Any suggestions, I haven't even seen a demo of Orbiter yet but it sounds exciting

Thanks to anyone who can help :sos:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi, :welcome:

Create a folder somewhere you can get to easily and name it ORBITER2006, then extract it to that folder. I'm not familiar with Vista so maybe some of our Vista users here can help more. Once you get it extracted, just double click on the Orbiter.exe icon located in the ORBITER2006 folder you created, then you can choose your scenario. Good luck!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi all

I Cannot download Orbiter. Seems to be a block of some sort with VISTA?

Does anyone have a suggestion/solution? When I say cannot download Orbiter what I mean is I can't seem to open it with Winzip. The folder I created is empty yet winzip can find the zip file but cannot open it some kind of violation.

Any suggestions, I haven't even seen a demo of Orbiter yet but it sounds exciting

Thanks to anyone who can help :sos:

What is the size of the zip file?
It should be about 60Mb

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
First, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Now, on to the problem...what does "but cannot open it some kind of violation" mean? Do you mean that WinZip is crashing when it tries to unzip the file? What version of WinZip are you using? WinZip 9 or newer should work fine (and the OS shouldn't make a difference). Can you post the exact error message?

Or are you getting an "Access Denied" error message? If that is the case, you are probably trying to extract the files to somewhere under your C:\Program Files\ or, for 64-bit Vista, your C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory. Those are protected directories under Vista, so you can't extract files to them unless you are running WinZip as an administrator. A better solution is to just create a C:\Orbiter2006 directory like Tex suggested and then extract the zip files there; then you won't need to run as an administrator to extract the files. It will also make installing add-ons easier later since you won't need to run as an administrator to install them, either.

And yes, Orbiter is exciting! :beach: