General Question Can I install the high-res textures under Textures2 in Orbiter 2016?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
...or do the high-res planetary textures always need to be installed to the Textures folder (using the same names as the default low-res texture files) like the installation instructions say? If so, how is the Textures2 folder used in Orbiter 2016? As I recall, anything in Textures2 will override any corresponding textures in the Textures folder. Does that not work with the high-res planetary textures?

If we can install the high-res textures to Textures2, we won't need to manually move the default planetary textures before installing the high-res textures, and we could easily revert to the default low-res textures just by deleting/renaming the high-res textures installed to Textures2.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Unfortunately not (yet). The new texture format (whether packed in .tree or idividual tiles) is currently only searched in Textures (or its redirection), not in Textures2. I was afraid that this could become a performance issue, since Orbiter would then have to check both locations for every single texture tile it loads.

For .tree files the behaviour is also not entirely clear. If the required .tree file is present in Textures2, but doesn't contain the tile you are looking for, should you then also try to open the .tree file in Textures and look in there?

So in the worst case, the search sequence might be:

- look for unpacked tile file in Textures2
- look for packed tile in Textures2
- look for unpacked tile in Textures
- look for packed tile in Textures

fort

Reaction score
I've made a try but with the RC4. I my installation the texture are in archive but also unpacked in the cache ( textures/Earth ). I'don't know if the 2016 edition have the same profil for the high texture basics ( l19 ) on Canaveral.

So with the RC4 and choosing to load the Earth texture only from cache ( puting by security and as a proof the archive apart ), i can load the textures from Textures 2 but if the level are there also, if i can see the ground textures...they are flat. If i restore only the level to the Textures folder, the relief is there.

Insoluble.

Last edited:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmm. this means elevation data is loaded only from textures folder. ground textures can be loaded from both texttures and textures2