Buran

Spicer

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Soviet Space Shuttle buran. I actually own a tile from one of the un-finished Buran orbiters.

There are three versions of the buran that I know about for orbiter, none are complete. None really work as nicely as the Space Shuttle Ultra or the Space Shuttle Fleet versions.

Any chance someone could convert some of the already existing Shuttle work into a buran?

The current versions of the buran also have very low functionality with the FCS function. Anyone able to do that?

Spicer

Reaction score
I understand that, and I'm not at all knowledgable about creating add-ons, etc.

Is there any way to modify the current STS models into a buran? :beach:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You do realise that the flight dynamics wont be that real, cos it didnt fly in space and we dont know how it would of gone.
The orbiter Buran did fly in space once. It was launched on the second mission of the Energia on November 15 1988, completed two orbits and landed under full autopilot control on the thrid orbit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You do realise that the flight dynamics wont be that real, cos it didnt fly in space and we dont know how it would of gone.

Additionally to what DaveS said: There is not only tons of stuff available about Buran, Buran also performed it's first flight perfectly in bad conditions.

It flew completely on autopilot and landed on the runway with 17 m/s crosswind (~33 Knots, 7 Bft), missing the designated target only by 3m laterally and 10m along the runway.

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I find one of the Burans (the one without the cockpit) works pretty well. I use it regularly with Kulch's Energia - it is much cooler than the STS - I far prefer flying it to the Shuttle.

Spicer

Reaction score
buaran

I do realize that the flight characteristics may not be 100% realistic, but if it's a totally functional buran...who cares!

I use it with Kulch's energia also. I find it annoying that it has the interior view only. It's impossible to land it at night!

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Use the Camera MFD for night landings. You can change any angle to suit your needs through the MFD user buttons.I find it to be a big help with hover landings on specific targets too. It's darn near essential for a tail sitter !

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Still, an updated Buran wouldn't be wrong, with some of the more advanced functions avaliable today (Ummu, compability with FCS etc). And IMO, I'ts badly in need of updated textures.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Only that Buran in the end had it's jet engines removed too... :sorry:

Yes, they would not have survived reentry. They had just been added for testing the automated landing systems and training,

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
I'd love to see an updated Buran add-on. IMO, this craft was clearly superior to the Space Shuttle and had much potential.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It has an OMS... but no equalivent of the SSME
One of the many things about Buran that I liked better. That's why it had a superior payload capacity. Energia is strong enough to get Buran all the way to orbit- it's not just a big fuel tank like the STS, and it can launch anything you want, no need for a disastrous Ares-type SDLV launcher.

Imagine: what if, instead of launching again for every payload, the orbiter stayed in orbit and served as a tug to build Mir-2 ([nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3085"]Mir-2 (pr.1993) V.1.1[/nomedia]) or something? The modules would be launched like Polyus, and Buran would rendezvous and bring them to berth in the station .
So much more efficient than the bulky STS, safer with unmanned payloads, and probably more reliable due to its use of liquid fuels. (Note that Polyus failed on its own, not because of its launcher).

I do realize that the flight characteristics may not be 100% realistic, but if it's a totally functional buran...who cares!
And even so, if we were to keep the Space Shuttle flight model, it wouldn't be very far off. They were such similar shape and size, the only key difference was the reduced weight due to the lack of large engines+OMS pods.

I find it annoying that it has the interior view only.
The CVEL Buran has a key combination that toggles the cockpit mesh on and off. I don't remember what it was but it's in the readme.

Maybe something could be done to add some Scram Jets to a Buran MK-4 ?
Alternate history maybe? That would WIN. We already have a Mir-2 addon, see above.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Oh crap, Necropost! :embarrassed: