OHM British Airways Concorde BOAC

Kendo

Reaction score
Just one thing, the shading on the model is reversed, ie, the sunny side and the shadow side is on the opposite sides.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason for this?

If it's a mesh problem, I'm gonna need help !

JMW

Kendo

Reaction score
JMW, Its not a problem. Just load Concorde mesh in Meshwizard, go to Mesh Workshop and then click Generate Normals, then save. I,ve just done it.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm.

I've done that, and now all rounded surfaces are "ribbed" !!

Did I miss something?

Kendo

Reaction score
JMW, Oooops, I thought they were how they were supposed to be. I was going to comment on them, but i didn,t. Can you go back to the original mesh and maybe try something else. I did notice you reversed the textures, maybe the mesh is somehow reversed. By the way, its a great plane to fly. Good luck. Kind regards, Ken.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry Ken, I've plenty of backups, but it's such a great mesh, (it was produced for me by the guys at Flightgear) it'd be a pity to leave it "ribbed" just for the lighting effect.

What do you mean by the textures are reversed? (My mesh construction experience is very small.)

I would like to get it right - does anyone know the answer to this lighting problem?

Kendo

Reaction score
JMW. The main concorde texture you used is mirrored. ie reversed. In another folder you have the texture the right way round.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Right, OK Ken I'm with you now.

I'd forgotten I had to reverse the texture FlightGear supplied to get it to sit right on the converted (to Orbiter format) mesh.

I just tried the original texture, but it doesn't cure the lighting/shade problem.

I tried "Flipping Visible Side", that just produces an inside-out effect.

Re-"Generating Normals" does cure the problem, but at the price of losing the smooth curvatures of the mesh. So perhaps someone with meshing experience might be able to provide a solution based on that.:tiphat:

Thanks for your efforts.

JMW

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've found this thread http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9496&highlight=side+shadow&page=3 which deals with the subject of reversed lighting, but I don't have Blender or the know-how to use it effectively.

Is there an easier solution for people like me; even if it's to remove the blockiness of the re-normalised mesh ?

Countdown84 mentions "material settings - resetting to default" ; is there someway I can do that in MeshWizard ?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone interested in re-texturing the model for an Air France version? I would like to fly it side by side with the British Airways version. :idea:

I have just asked JMW through a PM - he said that anyone is free to re-texture it since he got the model from elsewhere. He also said that there is a lighting problem (see the posts above, from 3 years ago) that remains unresolved up till now, and would like to seek help. Any texturing gurus here willing to help him? :tiphat:

Kendo

Reaction score
The model needs correcting first.