Hardware Joystick configuration suggestions

andre

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have recently bought the Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/922924...rlrefer=search) and I would like to share how I am using it in Orbiter. I am also curious to know how other orbitnauts uses this (or any other) joystick in Orbiter. I didn´t find a main thread with this topic, sorry if this is repeated (I only found some very specific discussions on joysticks).

Well, I am using the JoyToKey, which maps (or emulates) any jostick button to a keyboard button. So this is how my configuration looks like:

Joystick:
Button 1: Kill Rotation (Numpad 5)
Button 2: Translation / Rotation Switch (/)
Button 3: RCS Back (Numpad 9)
Button 4: RCS Front (Numpad 6)

Thruster:
Thruster: Main Engine Thrust
Button 5: Open Scram Jet (For XR2:: CTRL G)
Button 6: Scram Jet increase (ALT Numpad +)
Button 7: Scram Jet Decrease (ALT Numpad -)
Button 8: Gears (g)
Button 9: Change camera view (F1)
Button 10: Change cockpit view (F8)
SE Button: Left Wheel Brake (,)
ST Button: Right Wheel Brake (.)

With this configuration it is very nice to do the following usual procedures:
Docking: With the joystick I can switch to Rotation or Translation and perform the docking (muck better than using the keyboard!)
Earth Reentry, Landing and take off: I can do everything with the joystick (except the air brake)

The only problem I am having with this is to make a hover landing (e.g. in the Moon or Mars). I don´t have anymore keys to map to the hover and perhaps the attitude and level autopilots (A and L keys). I guess I will create a new joystick configuration, specifically for this situation. Any suggestions?

Anyway, please feel free to share your joystick configurations, that would be very interesting. Another thing, does anyone know how is the real control in the space shuttle for example?

Just to conclude, if anyone is thinking on if it is worth it buying a joystick for orbiter, well, yesterday I made an aerobrake in Mars (coming from Earth) just to align my orbit with Phobos. I have done this a lot of times, but with the joystick it is really much more better! I strongly recommend a joystick to use with orbiter!

Cheers

Last edited:

sitha241

Reaction score
I am using Logitech Attack 3
Button 1 - Kill rot (num 5)
Button 2 - RCS LIN bck (num 9?)
Button 3- RCS LIN fwd (num 6?)
Button 4- ROT/LIN left (num 1 )
Button 5-ROT/LIN right (num 3)
Thrust-thrust
Button 6 - Switch ROT/LIN
Button 7 -prograde
Button 10 -retrograde
Button 11 air brakes
button 8 & 9 wheel brakes..

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm using a sitek X52, and am a bit frustrated that there's still no support for all its axes, not even with fly by wire... :(

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It does? didn't even know. Would be quite a script to write, I suppose, but might be worth to give it a try...

andre

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.

Sitha: Yes, that was what I meant, RCS LIN fwd and bck.

Yesterday I have made a new configuration to use for hover landings, it looks like this (I only changed the following thruster buttons):

Button 6: Main thruster decrease (CTRL, Numpad-)
Button 7: Main thruster increase (CTRL, Numpad+)
Button 11: (Hover Hold Autopilot) A
Button 12: (Level Hold Autopilot) L

I have tested in Mars and managed to make a good landing. I only used the keyboard for the landing gears and of course for the MFDs.

I don´t think this is the best configuration yet, I probably will try some changes... any news I let you know.

Last edited: