OHM F-35B Lightning VTOL

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: jmw

Test Pilot's comments on this aircraft:http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-10648250

(JoyStick helpful - though not essential)
To enable hover, aircraft has rotatable thrust.
Press 0 to rotate the engine fully to "HOVER SET" or 0 degrees.
Press 9 to rotate the engine 10 deg down at a time.(and to reverse in hover ~ 110/120 deg.)
Press 8 to rotate the engine 10 deg up at a time.(and for forward thrust in hover ~ 90 -> 10 deg.)
Attitude control is via keypad 4< 6> and 8^ ¬2 or JoyStick.
(Press Ctrl together to attenate effect)
For fine alignment in hover, press 6 & 4 together on NUMPAD for forward; 9  for Backward; 1 or 3 Left/Right (KILLROT on) .
Press CTRL and +/- on the numpad for Thrust.
Use Insert and Delete to set Trim (except in ALTHOLD mode.) Trim has no effect in Hover.
Press A for AutoThrust/Hover autopilot.     }
Press L to hold craft level with horizon.      } (Required in Hover for stability)
Press 5 on keypad for KillRotation mode. }
Vertical touchdown must be at less than -9.5 m/sec else Gear is damaged.(To repair press "2" on keyboard)
Press E for engine Start/Stop.
Press 7 for Afterburner when engine at 0 deg.and full thrust.
Press G for Gear.
Press K for Stealth mode.
Press B for Airbrake.
Press C to operate Cockpit Canopy. (Landed only)
Press F8 for VC when in cockpit mode.
As Test Pilot describes, he has the capability to "look through the aircraft"!
Press V to toggle "visor" view simulation in VC mode. (Interesting effects if you have TrackIR.)
[Actually, if we could find a way of disabling HUD cancellation when panning, this could be simulated much better]                                 MartinS you must know :)
CameraMFD & NotesMFD enhance immersion and usability.
My Heathrow addon required for Heathrow Scenarios :)
Hope you enjoy the gear suspension - it gives some unpredictable effects at times! ( and was a nightmare to code ;)
Grateful thanks (really) to Kev Shanow for the original craft and PennyBlack for the super new skins, (working with a very difficult original mesh).
These skins are in the Textures/JMW/ directory. Just un-zip the one of your choice to Orbiter root directory.
Happy VTOL !!
JMW

DOWNLOAD

Cougar

Reaction score
I just installed this add-on and tried to run it but i get a ctd with the following error-message in orbiter.log:

Module J-F-35B.dll ........... [Build 110217, API 100830]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Missing texture: JMW\No-XHUD.dds
>>> [TextureManager::AcquireTexture | .\Texture.cpp | 750]
>>> ERROR: Missing texture: JMW\No-XHUD.dds
>>> ERROR: Missing texture: JMW\K-F-35B-Status.dds
>>> ERROR: Missing texture: JMW\No-MFD.dds

Seems like there are a few textures missing. Looking forward to try it again with the missing textures - seems to be a really good add-on!
Thanks a lot for your hard work!
Cougar

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Cougar.

Sorry you're having trouble.

Missing textures shouldn't cause a ctd.

1) Have you got 100830 P1 version of Orbiter?

2) Don't load the Heathrow scenarios if you don't have the addon, otherwise it will crash.

If you're still having problems, try downloading into a clean (no other addons) Orbiter version.

Hope it works for you.

JMW

Cougar

Reaction score
Hi JMW!
Thanks for your rapid response! Just tried it again a couple of times with different combinations of my installed add-on mfd´s. Couldn´t figure out yet which mfd causes the trouble, but at least i found out that it has to be one of the mfd´s i installed. I just started orbiter and deactiveted all modules except orbiter_sound and guess what - it perfectly works now.
I will have hours of fun with it.
Again, thank you very very much for this fine add-on!!! :thumbup:

Greetings
Cougar

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
o_O Im for sure will be testing this with Orbiter Multiplayer over Texas

I'm so going to place an order for these birds for the v149th :3 Those F16s are like, last century's toys lol/

To author:

Minor issue - please be informed there is an empty folder in the F35's install package, it's called "Modded F35B".

---------- Post added at 05:25 ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 ----------

Edit - I believe we do not need your custom test Earth and Sol config files in the /config directory.

Feedback - the skins in the textures directory take up a fair bit of space even when compressed. They almost double the download size.

Some of your textures can benefit from better compression as some are 5mb big and cover very tiny areas. 5 megabytes is enough to cover 3,300 km^2 of Texas landscape. This point is relevant to fps-crucial applications of Orbiter with many aircraft operating at once.

We do not need a 5mb texture each for the wings and flags painted on the aircraft's nose. The F-35 is a very small aircraft and does not need such resolution for basic detail. A 100,000lb hypersonic spaceplane looks almost photorealistic with only 1mb of textures, thanks to texture management and DXT compression.

In contrast, I notice that the virtual cockpit only has a tiny placeholder texture. Wouldn't the VC need a hi res texture because then it would boost immersion? Whereas, I spend zero time counting how many rivets on the wings are there.

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
The texture level Carmen A was my part and I always plum for high res, even if the textures are limited because of the mesh and the average machine has the capacity to handle them easily and as only a few textures cover almost the entire mesh. If anyone wants to tat in the future with them, I also figured they may enjoy the bigger field and detail, even though they'd suffer wing decal replication and sudden magnification. I'm still learning and did consider lower res, but I don't like the "sprite" look. :)

I'm mapping a addon for a surface base I'm building and have a new respect for the difficulties involved in both mesh creation and UV mapping. I won't moan again, well, not often anyway on how the textures turn out.

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very Improved functionality, compared to the Kev's Version. Now i'm ready to sink that stupid Nicaraguan dredge out my country with help od the Kev's A-10 and my own Irkut Be-200 and An-71P :p

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Carmen A, thanks for comments.

Custom Earth_Sth_Eng and Sol_Sth_Eng config files are required as a fix if you have Heathrow and Westcott bases, to prevent a conflict. (Westcott wipes out part of Heathrow)

The “Modded F35B” folder is a ‘ghost’ folder as is “JMW-F-35B at KSC” in “Scenarios” folder. I can’t figure out where they are hiding. They are folders that used to be in the .zip, but I deleted many moons ago. They don’t appear in the .zip package, but appear when archive is extracted! If anyone can figure out where they come from, I’d be obliged.

Best wishes,

JMW