Best and Worst Experience Flying on a Commercial Flight?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From riding on a flawless River Visual approach to DCA

I've flown on that approach many times. For those that don't know, DCA is National Airport on the Potomac River across from Washington, DC. Because of airspace restrictions, planes approaching the north end of the field have to follow the curve of the river. This results in a rather steep right bank just as you pass the Rosslyn area of Arlington, Virginia, and if you're in a starboard window seat you get a great view of the tall buildings there. I've heard pilots say this is one of the hardest approaches in the US, but as a passenger I love it.

I never did say what my best experience in commercial flying was; there've been so many it's impossible to recall. But in flying in general there's no question: my first solo flight in a Cessna 150. Few things in life will ever beat that thrill when I suddenly found myself airborne alone in the cockpit of an airplane with the runway receding behind me. After I landed I was still floating for hours. Too bad I don't get to do that anymore.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I've flown on that approach many times. For those that don't know, DCA is National Airport on the Potomac River across from Washington, DC. Because of airspace restrictions, planes approaching the north end of the field have to follow the curve of the river. This results in a rather steep right bank just as you pass the Rosslyn area of Arlington, Virginia, and if you're in a starboard window seat you get a great view of the tall buildings there. I've heard pilots say this is one of the hardest approaches in the US, but as a passenger I love it.
I often drive home on the George Washington Parkway to catch the planes on the last bend of the final approach (also, I love driving through Old Town as it is quite pretty). I've also been known to Metro over to Arlington Cemetery and walk up along the Arlington Bridge to do some plane spotting. Here's the approach chart:

DCA_River_Visual.png

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I often drive home on the George Washington Parkway to catch the planes on the last bend of the final approach (also, I love driving through Old Town as it is quite pretty). I've also been known to Metro over to Arlington Cemetery and walk up along the Arlington Bridge to do some plane spotting. Here's the approach chart:

A great way to watch the approaches to DCA is to go to Gravely Point where the boat ramp is. It's directly underneath the northern approach. The bike trail between Mt. Vernon and Rosslyn also passes through here.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not sure if it counts, but i paid for it, and it included a flight.

Gone skydiving today, on paratrooper hardware.
Broke a leg on landing.
This is now the new worst experience concerning flight.

Optimist's remark: three weeks of vacation!

Screamer7

Reaction score
I,m very sorry to hear about your misfortune Artlav.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Was the leg broken very bad?

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I remember back when I was 21, I went to Florida for a vacation. On the trip back, a HUGE storm came in behind us. We were at cruising altitude, and then all of a sudden, we got hit with a bunch of wind that shook us all over and then the plane dropped like a brick. We were weightless for several secconds and the front actually started to pitch forward and we started to tilt over to the right pretty badly. Then we got slammed into our seats and gently went back up to cruising altitude as if nothing happened. The stewardess told me afterward that it happens occasionally. Just an air pocket. Yeah. To this day, I feel like I survived a potentially serious incident.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Was the leg broken very bad?
Thanks.
It's not too bad - fibula on the right leg, not a weight bearing bone.
But it's still incapacitating.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, flying air bosna is always an interesting expierience. You see the no smoking lights going on, and a minute after takeoff start to smell the smoke carried out of the cockpit by the ventilation... :lol:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, flying air bosna is always an interesting expierience. You see the no smoking lights going on, and a minute after takeoff start to smell the smoke carried out of the cockpit by the ventilation... :lol:

That's the smoke coming from the avionics bay.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I never thought about that... :shifty:

Given that the planes are pretty new (new airline), knowing the smoking habits of bosnians and considering my blood pressure, I will continue to assume otherwise! :lol:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Best experience:
Qatar airways business class. Impeccable service - greeted personally and by name by the stewardesses on way in, flat bed (and I'm 6'4" and I could stretch out! - slept like a baby for about 4 hours), noise-cancelling headphones, 4- or 5-course dinner of quality I'd be happy getting at a decent restaurant in London and a business- and first-class-only terminal in Doha for the transfer so even the stopover is a luxury. Pure, unadulterated luxury.

Worst experience was probably Monarch on the way back from one of the Med islands where a bunch of drunk English louts decided it would be funny to buy a plane-shaped alarm clock and set it off every 5 minutes...

sputnikshock

Reaction score
Best, by far, was flying into and out of Kai Tak as a passenger on 747s and L1011s...

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
do we count simulated experiences where oneself was the pilot in charge? - 'cause if so, then oh my, i got some stories to tell.....

if not, then it gets a little more mundane, but well, lets see....

well, any flight heading to or from Guarulhos Intl. (SBGR/GRU) is highly likely to qualify as a horrifying flight experience...

one time landing there, i remember the Pluna CRJ-900 bouncing off about 3 times on touchdown as if that was its way of saying "are you SURE you wanna land me there??"

but its not the flight that's the problem - it's getting onto or off of it... in any case, you're either sitting on that wretched terminal building that looks like a defected outcast from the years of the dictatorship for hours and hours on end waiting for somebody to somehow figure out a way to clear out the mess of planes on the tarmac so yours can flee take off, or worse yet -- that shameful disgrace of an airport is your DESTINATION :facepalm:

as for bad experiences in the air, it's kinda hard to tell.... i might be guilty of excessively enjoying airplane rides :rolleyes: - even tho those things are mad uncomfortable and mighty inconvenient to plan around, i dunno... the FS junkie in me takes over and gets me in a whole different mood :p

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd give some more reviews, since I've had some more flights in the past 2 weeks. Both have been great so far:

KLM flight to JFK, with a stop at Amsterdam. The flight from Manchester to Amsterdam was on a 737-700, and I got a seat next to the emergency exit. This meant that I could stretch out all the way, and with the comfortable seats, this felt like business class! After the 1hr 30min flight, we landed smoothly, and everything went to schedule. The crew were very nice too (I like it when the pilots come out to greet you after the flight!) The onwards flight was also great - personal entertainment screen, nice food, and nice people sitting next to me, who were great to talk to! So yeah - KLM know what they're doing! Just one thing - it would have been super awesome if there was an MD-11 doing the flight, but sadly there wasn't.

Next: American Airlines flight to O'Hare. 737-800. This was my first experience of domestic flights - and there was only one setback. It was delayed for about an hour, but there's nothing that can be done about that. When we got going, it was also pretty smooth and uneventful. In-flight wifi, lovely views, perfect timing with the sunset! I should also say that they let me take my (rather large) case and my backpack on board with me, saving $25! I hope the other airlines let me do this too.

Next I fly with US Air and Delta Connection. I'm looking forward to flying on a CRJ-900 with Delta connection - I love the small regional planes like that. Does anyone know about these airlines? Good, I hope! I'm also hoping that there's no delay for the US Air flight because I have a connection to catch 30 mins after landing.

Melvin

Reaction score
I should also say that they let me take my (rather large) case and my backpack on board with me, saving $25!

I (and most fellow air travelers that I know) hate when people do this. Please, quit being such a cheapskate and check your large bags at the gate instead of clumsily wandering down the aisle only to hold up fellow boarders as you and/or the nearest flight attendant try to compact your luggage enough so the overhead door shuts.

Think of your fellow passengers please. Don't be one of "those" people that are too self absorbed or unaware of their surroundings to not notice how aggravating it is to others.

One carry-on only please. (Sorry for the rant.)

Best flight: The first one. Midway to Orlando 1985.

Worst flight: The last one. Detroit to I.M. MI. 25 mph cross winds caused for some tense moments while riding in the back of a tiny jet. Everyone was pretty pale-faced after touchdown. :rofl:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It took me about 5 seconds to put the bag into the locker, but yeah. Also, it fitted perfectly into the locker, in the orientation that they suggest.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just one thing - it would have been super awesome if there was an MD-11 doing the flight, but sadly there wasn't.

I completely agree. Too bad so many passenger airlines retired them relatively early in their service lives. It would have been nice to see them in the new Delta scheme...

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I think KLM are the only operators of passenger MD-11s now, so there was always a small chance that it could have been flying to New York... Also, they operate Fokker 70s on the Manchester -> Amsterdam flight too, so that was another missed opportunity! But - I'm pleased that I saw lots of A380s (Lufthansa, Korean Air, Emirates and Air France) and a few cargo MD-11s. Also, I did see some of the KLM ones at Amsterdam. Man, I could sit at an airport for days just watching...

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Then you gotta try coming to Atlanta-Hartsfield sometime. Busiest airport in the world!

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah! I'll be there for a few hours on my way home on the 10th Sept - I hope there's a decent view from the terminal!