Flight Question Atmospheric Entry

Qhutay

Reaction score
Hello. I have a problem about entry. It is okay when reentering earth but i want to do atmospheric entries in other planets like titan, venus, mars or other addon planets. How can i do it?

Castor

Reaction score
It is okay when reentering earth but i want to do atmospheric entries in other planets like titan, venus, mars or other addon planets. How can i do it?

The principle is same in all these cases. First of all, I would recommend two addons :

BaseSync MFD

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2139"]Aerobrake MFD[/ame]

A simple search of the forum will yield you a number of tutorials on how to use these MFDs, and the same concept can be used for any atmospheric entry.

Last edited:

Qhutay

Reaction score

wllmpeek

Reaction score
Thanks I know how to use them. So knowing the atmosphere boundary height is enough.

Knowing the atmosphere density at a certain altitude is better.

Depending on which spacecraft you are using you want to holdalt at an altitude that gives you a reasonable deceleration rate without too high G's. Maybe 2.5 to 3 G's tops to simulate a realistic reentry for human comfort.

Research the maximum dynamic pressure for the spacecraft you are using and never exceed this.

Titan has very high atmospheric density so you have to be careful not to set you perigee too low into the atmosphere as dynamic pressure will build up fast. On the other hand, Mars has low density so you have to dip deeper into the atmo. lest you skip out by not slowing down enough. About 25km to 35 km.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
The way I do it is by doing a little in-Orbiter-research.

I usually fly a DG up and out of the atmosphere. Then just watch the dynamic pressure. This will reveal the lowest possible parking orbit as well as giving a good first guess for reentry.

I think most importantly having a shallow reentry slope will never do you wrong.

For example on Mars you'll slow down a little bit in the upper atmosphere but REALLY slow down somewhere near 11-14km altitude, down where it starts to feel like you're going to scrape the landing gear if on some mountain tops (coming soon Orbiter terrain woohoo!!!). But on titan you'll do all the breaking really high up then float gently down like a leaf in a summer breeze