Request Artemis landers

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Thanks guys!

If the R-4D thrusters shall be used, the moments of inertia shall be reduced as well.
These are the approximate values if the mesh is analyzed in Orbiter's Shipedit tool:

PMI = 2.5 9 9

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is what I get:
5Z1Z46q.jpg

Code:
PRP_0_ID = 0
PRP_0_MAXMASS = 34100
PRP_0_EFFICIENCY = 1
PRP_0_PRIMARY = TRUE
PRP_0_NAME = Drop
Code:
EMPTY_MASS =  5261.67
VSIZE = 12
PMI = 2.5 9 9
CSECTIONS = 20 20 20
GRAVITYGDAMP = 0
ROTDRAG = 0.01 0.01 0.01
Code:
THR_8_ID = 8
THR_8_NAME = Translate_up_1
THR_8_POS = -4.91 0.8 1.145
THR_8_DIR = 0 1 0
THR_8_MAX0 = 490
THR_8_ISP0 = 3059.6592
THR_8_ISPREF = 0
THR_8_PREF = 101400
THR_8_TANK = 0
THR_8_HASEXHAUST = TRUE
THR_8_EX_0_ID = 0
THR_8_EX_0_LSIZE = 2
THR_8_EX_0_WSIZE = 0.2
THR_8_EX_0_EXTEX = 0
THR_8_EX_0_CUSTOMPOSDIR = FALSE
THR_8_HASPARTICLES = FALSE

and change this:
THR_0_NAME = Main_0
to Hover_0
right?

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Exclusive interview of The Angry Astronaut with Dynetics manager, Kathy Laurini, about ALPACA:
They're definitely going to use CH⁴/LOX as fuel for the lander
The drop tanks are planned to be reused on the surface in the near-future!

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I think I see the problem with the MFDs: in the screenshot from the video below, the buttons were indeed placed around the mock-up screen, however in your mesh, the MFD covers up the entire panel with no room for a button in it
Screenshot_20201021-210223~2.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Glad you did that shot. I will add a joystick. On the shot it looks like 2 mfds. On the new interior I angled the mfds.

In the Vb set set up are you saying in the cube what is not defined is the screen. The only thing defined is the columns for the buttons and power/mnu/sel.

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
In the Vb set set up are you saying in the cube what is not defined is the screen. The only thing defined is the columns for the buttons and pwoer/mnu/sel.
The MFD screen covers the entire mesh group you set up in VB, much like SC4.... I'm not sure about the per/menu/sel columns, but if I understood correctly, they indicate their XYZ coordinates relative to the mesh?

That being said, it would be better if the power/menu/select buttons are separate mesh groups instead

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That makes sense. So a mesh group for the screen and another for the power/mnu/sel. Then what about the column buttons?

barrygolden

Reaction score
wish more was know about the cabin but from what I'm hearing that the EVA suits would be used to land and lift off in. somewhat based on the size and crew number of 4. I'm told that in the back of the cabin would be a small waste management room like the Shuttle on one side with the backpack recharge and stowage area on the other side and soft bag storage between which after landing would be the area to store the hard suits standing up. Hammocks and soft chairs for sleeping and sitting during down times.
the suits would plug into the lander systems during IVA activates with removable helmet/face plates and gloves. this makes since for Artemis 3 and I think a 4 person eva might be performed on day one for some 6 hrs then 2 man eva's for most days with 1 pair for app 6 hrs followed by the second pair for 6 hrs the a 12 hr rest period with 2 hours for meal and down time then 8 hrs sleep period and 2 hrs for wake up , meal and eva prep. I think while one crew is outside the other crew would repress cabin and might de-suit or just remove helmet and gloves and assist the eva by watching TV such as done on the ISS.
the control panel should be close to Orion's so cross training would work. the panel would be in 3 pieces instead of just one.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From all the videos the interior really is not set. It is flexible. Ideally Ummu would be the way to go. But since it doesn't work yet for 2016. All we can do is add meshes,....

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
< This is what I get: >

Yes. The Principle Moment of Inertia (PMI) are the main diagonal of the inertia tensor. Here:
2.91 ... ... around x-axis (left to right)
... 7.98 ... around y-axis (up)
... ... 8.11 around z-axis (forward)

As this is probably the lander-mesh without the drop tanks, I would round them up a little, like
PMI = 3 9 9

barrygolden

Reaction score
yes the cockpit is not set yet. i do see an image where only 2 guys are at the flight control station and a wall just behind them. that would mean they could use the flight deck as an air lock but only 2 could EVA from there. The other 2 would be sealed in the mid cabin with the waste management and the storage in the aft cabin.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We will get this:
4udso8Y.jpg

I am not sure if we should have a texture like the videos for the mfd or use an image of the vc mfd and use it. The VC mfd would go on top of the fake mfd.

I will put a gray rectangle where the door opening is.
vtgHqBp.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can put a frame of fake buttons around and have the mfd screen inside. But then what about the buttons on the VC. We can just have buttons on the non vc

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alright, I will do that. I know there are side panels. But don't have a good image to put a texture of them

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure.
In this video,
They talked about to use the Falcon it would be in 3 pieces. But SLS 1 piece

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Can a Falcon heavy lift this into LOI ?
Theoretically on an expendable Falcon Heavy...(francisdrake tried it also on partially reusable mode but needed the lander's engines to complete the TLI burn)

However, the fairings were too small to fit even the ALPACA's droptank-less configuration....might explain why Dynetics contracted ULA instead on a Vulcan-Centaur, with an alternative plan with the SLS (Block 1B)