Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Will all the "classic" suits of this type have a US flag on them? I understand the appeal of specificity but personally I prefer my presence in Orbiter to be completely anonymous.
(Plus there are a lot of us who don't live here in the States)

Well, I'll remove them for more "generic flag", but will probably add 2 new type (as Capt, Sci etc):

Nasa - this one
Esa - with esa flag instead

So those that use UMmu for "realist" mission can use them.

As for Capt, Sci, Tech, I wonder now if I'll color the suit as in UMmu 2.0, maybe I can add logo or sign instead and keep the spacesuit white ?

Dan

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the ''realistic'' way is with the white spacesuit and appropriate emblems each time :tiphat:

+1.
The colour is a part of the suit's design (I you are into "realism")

The signs/emblems don't have to spell out the job or name. NASA uses the red stripes on EVA-1 to tell them apart. You can just make up your own "code" for the types. Different colour and/or number of stripes. Personally I like the wide stripe on top of the helmet. :thumbup: But it's all up to Dansteph, and he hasn't disappointed me yet. Ever! :cheers:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I love those new suits. Love the NASA stuff on them of course :)

color stripes is an appealing way to differentiate roles, keeping those white suits.

I know myself that when I perform an EVA using UMMUs, I use guys who are labled as EVAs, and give them the generic white suit anyway.

spyder

Reaction score
I just want to say, I am super excited for this.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I think the ''realistic'' way is with the white spacesuit and appropriate emblems each time :tiphat:

Ditto. I like the crew designations, I'd just like the option to not have an organizational logo, or at least just have a generic one that could be anything.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I love these new features? But I still have a question: Will the Tech girl still be avaliable ? :lol:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Okay I'll go for white spacesuit and if I have a doubt for logo system
I'll post some screen shots for you to comments.

I love these new features? But I still have a question: Will the Tech girl still be avaliable ? :lol:

I prefer the Sci girl personally :lol:
But yes they will all be there as before.

Dan

Rybec

Reaction score
The flag could always be a separate texture. That way people can easily change it to be whatever they want, or you could provide a few alternatives to be chosen via config.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
The flag could always be a separate texture. That way people can easily change it to be whatever they want, or you could provide a few alternatives to be chosen via config.

Mhhhh...

First a separate texture is against optimisation, the more state change there is the more work your graphic card do. (Of course one more texture.... well you know, the ShuttleA have 10-15, this is not the example to follow and some worse model are exploded into 40-60 textures. The UMmu have yet... one texture, so one more would not do an enormous difference but alla, loosing CPU cycle must have a good reason, so here come the second one:)

Second whatever system there would still be one texture per MMu type with logo. So editing the big texture with logo or a small one with only logo is strictly the same work.

Okay, OrbiterSound released, time-line is:

-Finishing of UMmu 2.5, test, release.
-Test of UCGO & DGIV-3, release.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mhhhh...

First a separate texture is against optimisation, the more state change there is the more work your graphic card do. (Of course one more texture.... well you know, the ShuttleA have 10-15, this is not the example to follow and some worse model are exploded into 40-60 textures. The UMmu have yet... one texture, so one more would not do an enormous difference but alla, loosing CPU cycle must have a good reason, so here come the second one:)

Second whatever system there would still be one texture per MMu type with logo. So editing the big texture with logo or a small one with only logo is strictly the same work.

Okay, OrbiterSound released, time-line is:

-Finishing of UMmu 2.5, test, release.
-Test of UCGO & DGIV-3, release.

So fewer textures results in a faster mesh? That might explain why the Shuttle-D can run really fast fps wise. I only used 7-8ish textures, most very small.

Would you mind posting a list of whats new with each package, just to clarify for anyone who hasnt been listening. Ie what new things are coming in UMMU 2.5?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
So fewer textures results in a faster mesh? That might explain why the Shuttle-D can run really fast fps wise. I only used 7-8ish textures, most very small.

My old tutorial is still up to date for explaining such problem: (Appart that max texture size is maybe 2048x2048 yet)
http://www.dansteph.com/publie/tutorial/Texturing.html

Would you mind posting a list of whats new with each package, just to clarify for anyone who hasnt been listening. Ie what new things are coming in UMMU 2.5?

Well, I'll first do the things then I can list them... :lol:

Yet for UMmu you have graphic clients, local light and new spacesuit. I bet that will be all (beside doc rewrite, help text, installer to maybe choose between mesh quality etc etc)

For UCGO you have the doc somewhere in this thread (sorry busy)

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,Dan I know it's a little late in the game to ask this,but would it be possible to make an option to easily configure an breathable area to an object in orbit,or,space,such as a space station in the new version of UMMu just like you would do it on a planet?Thanks

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Hi,Dan I know it's a little late in the game to ask this,but would it be possible to make an option to easily configure an breathable area to an object in orbit,or,space,such as a space station in the new version of UMMu just like you would do it on a planet?Thanks

No promise but thinking about it.

What case exactly (have you an addon in mind ?) ? Would a per vessel class breath area work ? (Ie: Declaring class "DeltaGlider, 10m" would create a breathable sphere of 10 meters around the center of every deltaglider)

Take in account it can only be a sphere around the center, precise shape would take to much cpu.

Dan

Interceptor

Reaction score

What case exactly (have you an addon in mind ?) ? Would a per vessel class breath area work ? (Ie: Declaring class "DeltaGlider, 10m" would create a breathable sphere of 10 meters around the center of every deltaglider)

Take in account it can only be a sphere around the center, precise shape would take to much cpu.

Dan
Yeah Dan, something like that would work,if you could make it like you have it now for planets in Ummu2.0 the way you can set it up in your space suit on your hud,but be able to add a breathable area to a vessel in space also,similar to your UCGO cargo space base modules,but instead of defining an area in on the ground it would be an area defined in a ship,or base in space orbiting a planet.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Dan

Actually the breathable area code snippet would be a useful inclusion too. Having that would allow for creation of base modules that require Oxygen/Nitrogen resources to remain breathable.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Actually the breathable area code snippet would be a useful inclusion too. Having that would allow for creation of base modules that require Oxygen/Nitrogen resources to remain breathable.

That would be a FAQ or Snippet post case like for OrbiterSound's stickies here:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/list.php?f=2

Good news I'll reuse my "txt2html" utility as in the Arrow Freighter, this mean that the txt file used in the inline help of UMmu will be a source to create the real doc.

One txt, two docs. :thumbup:

The html doc will, as in Arrow, have more sections and also explicit images to complete the txt.

And the installer will open the browser on doc and create a desktop link as in OrbiterSound.

No more "WITFM !?"

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would be a FAQ or Snippet post case like for OrbiterSound's stickies here:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/list.php?f=2

Good news I'll reuse my "txt2html" utility as in the Arrow Freighter, this mean that the txt file used in the inline help of UMmu will be a source to create the real doc.

One txt, two docs. :thumbup:

The html doc will, as in Arrow, have more sections and also explicit images to complete the txt.

And the installer will open the browser on doc and create a desktop link as in OrbiterSound.

No more "WITFM !?"

Ummm okay, didnt get most of that...

Could you also include the Multi-dock tutorial for UMMU in the docs? Its a bit of a pain to track down on your site.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
DEV NEWS

The helmet showed some pixelisation, it' was due to the normal map with DXT1 format, in
RGB 8:8:8 the quality is best but in 2048x2048 it take 12MB... ouch ! 8o

in 1024x1024 only 3MB. I'll wait the test on different harware to decide about the quality selector that will have the installer.

NormalMapSize.jpg

Another things the "straight position was really not natural when flying in space

UmmuAnim20121128111315.jpg

So I added a little change above 10 meter.

UmmuAnim20121128111340.jpg

While we are here... "in topic" image ;)

20121128121155.jpg

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Another things the "straight position was really not natural when flying in space... so I added a little change above 10 meter.

"I used to be an astronaut like you, then I took a bend to the knee..."
(Someone's already done the Arrow version of the joke...)

Nice little extra bit of immersion! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.