Discussion Aries 3 Spacecraft

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
All right, here it is! This is the Aries 3, a spiritual successor to the much beloved spacecraft models from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Unlike my previous model, this has much more potential to become an Orbiter addon due to the much smaller size, and that also means I can implement more detail in the final mesh if the addon ends up happening. I'm still not 100 percent sure. Like last time, I'm going to post some pictures and see what you guys think. I'll also take the liberty of posting some eye-candy which describes my semi-realistic concept for the engines. We're going to assume for all intents and purposes that this thing is at least 500 years or so away from being built. Don't worry, there's no artificial gravity or anything ridiculous, but because it travels at a constant acceleration when going from one place to the next, the cabin does account for gravity-bound situations. Also, it's not quite done yet.

Lets get to it!

picture.php

This first picture is a lovely shadowed shot of Aries 3 from the outside with the landing gear up.

picture.php

Here is the landing gear down. It will extend 4 meters or so each time. Notice the Lunar-lander-like gear which sticks into the ground (if it becomes necessary). Who knows where you're going to travel in this thing!

picture.php

This is the entrance, of course, and we're peeking into the airlock.

picture.php

Okay, bear with me now. At the top is the entrance from the airlock, which we would use when leaving. We are looking in the opposite direction as in the last picture. The two rooms on either side of the main hall (with walls that bulge outwards) are for storing spacesuits. I haven't done much with these, but I plan to make shelves or something.

picture.php

Now, we are looking in the original direction of that third picture- on either side are space suit storage rooms and we can see the ships control room in front of us. Now, I know you are wondering what on earth is going on with the red walls? Well, the room is lit with red lights, and since I'm not using detailed textures here the walls are red colored. Remember the movie? There were actually quite a few red-light areas: The inactive docking area on Station V, the Aries 1b cockpit, the moonbus cockpit, the interiors of Discovery's pods, the Discovery emergency airlock, and even HAL's Logic Memory Center.

Note the array of monitors, as there are no windows on the spacecraft (then how can you run Orbiter! :lol: okay, bad joke). In the center of the picture is the elevator to the lower cabin.

picture.php

Here is a better view of the cockpit, the monitors, and the chair you might recognize from my Space Station. Sometimes I'll reuse things. Why not?
Now, Aries 3 is ideally designed for 3 people, when it comes to longer trips. It could be configured for more people for short trips, but either way there only needs to be three seats up here.

picture.php

Here is one more view of the cockpit. Note the space under the counter for your legs and feet. This ship would likely be computer controlled, although you could control it manually if you really wanted. In real life, I would imagine that for long trips, you would set up a trajectory and leave it at that. Some situations are shorter and may require user input, like deciding where you want to land as you approach a planet. I suppose that if this ship was in Orbiter you would "be the computer" as you pilot it.

picture.php

Now, we'll get into the elevator, and go down to the lower level...

picture.php

...and here we are!!! First, notice the wall padding, which is good in the event of a zero-g condition. Also, note the chair, which is also from the space station, but colored to the color of the chairs on board the Aries 1b. You can also get a glimpse of a bed, which is taken from the space station, although I modified/improved it further. The blue room on the right is the temperature controlled food storage room. We will get to this later.

picture.php

A view of the cabin. Notice the sliver of green, this is the bathroom. We'll get to that too.

picture.php

This is a top down view of the lower level. The table is also taken from my Station, and has been modified a bit.

picture.php

This is a cabinet for storing personal belongings. There are three of these, and three beds, as you have seen in the last picture.

picture.php

Here is one of the beds, with a clear acrylic door that opens and shuts. I don't think this is necessarily worth animating, but it would be cool to have one animation which opens and closes all the beds and cabinet doors.

picture.php

Another view of the cabin. The couch is also from my space station.

picture.php

The restroom. The sink is also from the space station. I guess that hand wipes will do in zero gravity. There would be cabinets behind the mirrors.

picture.php

This is a "space toilet" or at least very much resembles one. I modeled this quite some time ago for another model and thought it could be useful here. The toilet paper is kind of a joke, as they have some other way of doing it in space. I'm not an expert on space toilets, so I'll leave it at that. The lid closes too, by the way.

picture.php

The outside of the shower.

picture.php

Inside the shower. It would work much like a normal shower in constant-acceleration/gravity bound situations. In zero g, a powerful fan would be located beneath the drain to suck out all the water. Then, the water would be filtered out. The air would also be recycled, and new air would be pumped into the shower at the same time the water is being drained. Also, note the shower is padded. Shampoo and soap would go into the space in the center of that one wall to the right, where a small cabinet would be.

picture.php

Another look at the cabin.

picture.php

The temperature controlled food room, where food supplies are stored. More complex shelving will be implemented in the future.

In the next post, I will go over the eye-candy, taking a look at the engine systems. I will also look at the landing gear again.

Last edited:

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Eye candy

Okay. Here we will go over the polygon heavy stuff that wouldn't be used in Orbiter. And since this is the Orbiter forum, I've gotta provide some sort of meaningful scientific explanation, right! :)

picture.php

I will start with a look at the bottom, with the container for exotic-matter fuel. This is powerful stuff, mind you. The darker grey cap is placed right under it. You can see how it all just slides in (and there would be a powerful locking mechanism which I have not illustrated.

picture.php

We are now looking inside the cylindrical chamber (looking up from the bottom) where fuel is kept at a very high density. Very slowly, it is drained through the top. The whole system of pathways will be controlled with magnetic gates which adjust fuel flow in different places depending on what engines are being used. This is all coordinated by a computer, with several redundant systems of course!

picture.php

This is negative space showing the area where the fuel is drained out. Now, my guess is that this exotic matter has been engineered to be extremely reactive to magnetism, thus it is controllable. Magnets would hold it in place, and would control the flow through this tiny area. A "beam" is created out of the matter, and flows through the funnel at the top.

picture.php

Now, we are looking both down on that previous area, and upwards at the next area (due to a 120 degree view angle). The beam is split here, by magnets, into a straight beam and a cylindrical beam. In the next picture, you see that the straight beam goes straight to a conversion system to create electricity.
The cylindrical beam goes to power the engines.
picture.php

picture.php

Here is a cross section. In the center is the straight beam, and we are looking at the second division where the RCS rockets are powered. There are four systems of RCS rockets, with four individual rockets each. The inner cylindrical beam goes to the three main engines under Aries 3.

picture.php

Here is a view of the pathway-system where fuel is directed to a set of RCS rockets. Magnets split the cylindrical beam into four straight beams.

picture.php

Here is the a similar shot, except this is where the inner cylindrical beam (not the inner-most straight beam) is split into three straight beams towards the main engines.

picture.php

This is the area where one of the three engine-straight-beams is directed to the engine area. The path curves downward 90 degrees at the end, where the engine is.

picture.php

This is the other end of that path. The fuel goes out here, and is funneled into the exhaust. I say funneled, because these engine nozzles are attached to ball joints, which can rotate the engines constantly as needed to balance the spacecraft during long journeys, and to account for weight imbalances. This is all computer controlled and has been perfected over the last several centuries. So there. Right now, we are looking at the straight position.

picture.php

This is a much better view of this area. This picture says it all- the funnel will change position every now and then but the beam will be directed through it anyway.

picture.php

This is negative space, showing the funnel. The most powerful magnets are here, pushing the beam out of the engines.

picture.php

And there's the bottom of each engine. Notice the large cone-like area. If this thing is going to take off from, say, Earth, then the reaction between the exotic matter (or whatever form it has become at this point, I'm sorry I haven't worked out all the details on this exotic engine technology centuries ahead of our time yet, but I'll work on it :thumbup:) and the atmosphere is going to create a smoke cloud the likes of which you've never seen. This ain't your granddaddy's rocket engine! It's more like your great, great, great, etc... grandson's rocket.

picture.php

Back to the RCS engines. This is where the straight beam is directed into the assembly for the engines. The RCS engines would ideally retract once landed or for when in storage, and this would ideally be animated. Here, you can see how if the engines retracted, it would not affect the rest of the systems. Don't worry about the gap, I haven't finished this area.

picture.php

Here's a nice shot of where the beam is split into four smaller beams, one for each engine.

picture.php

Looking into one of those pathways, we see that the beam, after a bit more direction, goes right out into space.

picture.php

Well, this shouldn't require much explanation. Hmm, what can I say... well, it would be retractable, and there's four of these things. Yet, you all ready know that!

picture.php

This also should not require a lot of explanation. It's just another view.

picture.php

This is a shot of the extended landing gear in a bit more detail than before.

Now, the extra space inside would house everything else, from water/air recycling/storage areas, to waste management, to computers, to electrical wires, to radiation shielding, to, well, you guys get it. All that engine eye-candy on the inside won't be there in Orbiter. Also, let me say right now I'm reaching out to you guys- I need a good guide to animating sketchup models for Orbiter. I do have a student copy of 3ds max, but I don't really use it that much... I'm also going to need help with coding. I'm going to try something like Orbiter Shipyard, but that still isn't perfect and I may need the help of a good programmer. Just saying. For now here are the pictures.

---------- Post added 01-29-12 at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-28-12 at 11:55 PM ----------

I hope the pictures are showing by the way. I do believe I previewed both posts correctly.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We have uplink. :thumbup:

Wow! That is beautiful. Such attention to detail! (Like in the old film. :))

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Updates

Better lighting/lights, more padding in and around the airlock area, and in the shower, the toilet is colored in, the temperature controlled room has more shelves.

Attachments

• Aries 3 40.png
    Aries 3 40.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Aries 3 41.png
    Aries 3 41.png
    26 KB · Views: 6
  • Aries 3 42.png
    Aries 3 42.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 43.png
    Aries 3 43.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 45.png
    Aries 3 45.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Aries 3 44.png
    Aries 3 44.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Aries 3 46.png
    Aries 3 46.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Aries 3 47.png
    Aries 3 47.png
    71 KB · Views: 4

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
More pictures.

Attachments

• Aries 3 48.png
    Aries 3 48.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Aries 3 49.png
    Aries 3 49.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Aries 3 51.png
    Aries 3 51.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 50.png
    Aries 3 50.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Aries 3 52.png
    Aries 3 52.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 4

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks lovely, keep going.

N.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
More updates

I added shower heads on the floor and ceiling of the shower. "What's that?", you say, "On the floor?" Why yes- these are used only in zero gravity conditions. They are adjustable, due to the ball joint design. It would be cool if they were computer controlled, you adjust the settings on a waterproof monitor in the shower (with those plastic coated buttons), and they position themselves accordingly.

Also, I added a texture to the cockpit monitors. Right now, this model is in development, so we are calibrating the screens. :)

Attachments

• Aries 3 53.png
    Aries 3 53.png
    59 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 54.png
    Aries 3 54.png
    83 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 55.png
    Aries 3 55.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Aries 3 56.png
    Aries 3 56.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 12

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that 500 years from now, it is most probable monitors will not be using SMPTE color bars. They will probably have an unbelievable pixel density, with a 3D effect for the interface visible from any viewing angle without glasses, and more colors than there are stars in the universe. Thus, the color bars just might look different. :)

---------- Post added 01-30-12 at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-29-12 at 09:47 PM ----------

I'm going to delete the part of the sphere not showing- I would only leave it in there if I was going to have the main engines actually rotate, but considering that this would all be done automatically in real life, then we may as well just leave it at that. I don't imagine this will end up having systems as complicated as the XR vessels or Deltaglider IV.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Any suggestions for a good way down? Maybe a ramp? The Aries 1b never needed to bring people directly to the surface of anything. It just used gates like at an airport. This is going to be a tough one.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I like what you've shown us so far!

Easy to set up ladders for emergencies and some kind of crane system for normal use would be good. Take a look at Atomic Rockets, which happens to have a section about your very problem.

:cheers:

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
I like what you've shown us so far!

Easy to set up ladders for emergencies and some kind of crane system for normal use would be good. Take a look at Atomic Rockets, which happens to have a section about your very problem.

:cheers:

Thanks!

The link was very informative. However, my ship isn't nuclear, and doesn't pose a health risk. It's also much smaller than those big, nuclear rockets, which are still really cool. They also have much more room. Aries 3 doesn't have the space for that kind of machinery.

I'm thinking some kind of ramp would do- think of one of those antennae you find on an ordinary radio; they extend and retract because there's one segment inside the other inside the other, etc. Maybe a ramp like that would work. There would be room in the ares for it. Since this isn't a cargo ship, the ramp doesn't have to be that wide. Perhaps some railings will do. The problem is that the entrance is 22 meters above ground. The ramp would have to be a great deal longer- this depends on the angle of the ramp. I'm going to try to see if I can model something plausible. Then again, would you want to walk more than 200 feet just to enter a rocket?

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm still here, btw. I'm taking a bit of a break from this until I figure out the best kind of exitway. I also copied the model and textured it with "placeholder" textures to get a feel for what it might actually look like. I got them from filterforge.com, which promises to be one really nice Photoshop plugin! They have a free library of sample textures created using the plugin. Anyway, rather than posting another 25 pictures, I'm going to take a video tour of it and post it on youtube, and I'll link it from here to show you guys.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Design changes

In order for Aries 3 to be a real SSTO, its got to be accessible from a flat ground. Therefore, I have elongated the body, and created forward swept wings. Now, I have room to implement a retractable elevator to the surface. I suppose its also starting to have a look of its own, rather than just resembling the Aries 1b. I think the new "capsule" look is kind of cool.

Now, there will be two exits. One at the top, used for docking in space or via a gate, and an elevator to the surface, which I have not yet modeled. For now, I created a basic sketch to give an idea of where the pathway and elevator area will be.

Attachments

• Aries 3 ORBITER 1.png
    Aries 3 ORBITER 1.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Aries 3 ORBITER 2.png
    Aries 3 ORBITER 2.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Aries 3 ORBITER 3.png
    Aries 3 ORBITER 3.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 10