General Question Are there any "velcro docking ports" I could use?

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm planning mission to Mars with the Arrow Freighter, but she can carry only one vessel in the bay. I would need at least two vessels - DGIV for quick tasks like establishing a base on Phobos or carrying small crew down to the Mars surface for recon or research missions. I would also need a bigger vessel, something like XR5 to carry all the cargo the Arrow would be hauling and the rest of the colonizers. I don't want to use two Arrows for the mission, so what are the other options? Forgive my ignorance for programming, but is there a way to place some additional docking ports outside Arrow's bay?
Thanks

Tacolev

Reaction score
Try out [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]Universal Cargo Deck[/ame] which, while not the panacea it's often made out to be, probably fits the bill pretty close for what you're aiming at.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
You can add a docking port definition in the Arrow's .cfg file, even though it's a .dll-based vessel. I haven't tried this with the Arrow; it might not work right, depending on how it's coded, but it probably will. Of course, it won't add a visible place to dock; just the ability to do so.

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Of course, it won't add a visible place to dock; just the ability to do so.
That's OK, I would not need the ports to do EVA, or anything like that. The docking to such phantom port would be still possible using dock MFD...

Could someone give a hint how to do it?
Thanks

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's OK, I would not need the ports to do EVA, or anything like that. The docking to such phantom port would be still possible using dock MFD...

Could someone give a hint how to do it?
Thanks
In Arrow's config (in the UCGO folder in the Vessels folder in Config) you can add:
Code:
BEGIN_DOCKLIST
0 0 0  0 0 1  0 1 0
END_DOCKLIST

First three zeroes are X Y Z position of the port, second set are the direction of approach to the port (0 0 1 means the dock points forward - you must approach from the Arrow's nose. 0 0 -1 points backward like the Arrow's existing port,) and the third are the rotation of the port (you can probably leave the last alone.) See OrbiterConfig.pdf in the Doc folder for a better explanation.