Humor Apollo 18:the movie

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
#1. Far too many 'facepalm' smileys in this thread.

I politely disagree. For this topic, there is always room for more.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I don't see why people aren't willing to suspend their disbelief, it's a movie for :censored: sake! Movies don't need to be realistic, besides the movie isn't based off anything real nor claiming to be real. If movies are supposed to be realistic think about all the great movies that would 'suck' because they aren't realistic. :facepalm:

Keatah

Reaction score
Well, with the dumbed-down society we got going today.. people will watch Apollo 13, have their doubts, look it up on the internet, have a revelation, re-watch it and say WOW!!! That reallllllyyyy happened!

Then they will watch Apollo 18, then go huh?? They'll have their doubts, look it up on the internet and go hmm... They will see the conspiracy videos and then begin to disbelieve the whole Apollo program!! The whole thing!!

Critical and balanced thinking are in such short supply these days it's pathetic.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I politely disagree. For this topic, there is always room for more.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

:facepalm:I figured that would get a response.:)

I actually was joking; I saw all the facepalms and suddenly had a vision of Graham Chapman from the old Monty Pythons Flying Circus standing there in uniform saying, "This is far too silly...".

Seriously, It bothers me too, that these conspiracy theories persist, but what are you going to do, they're part of the culture now. And from a filmmakers perspective, you need at least three things for a good story; drama, uncertainty, and conflict. And nowadays, of course, you also need eye-candy, AKA special effects. Now there certainly was drama in the Apollo missions, although, because of the nature of the job, and the backgrounds of those involved, the drama wasn't all that 'dramatic'. And it was the goal of everyone involved to reduce uncertainty and conflict as much as possible. My point being that successful missions to the moon just don't contain a large amount of good, story-making material, at least for large budget movies. Now I could sit and watch, "From the Earth to the Moon" all day and love it, but I always remember that that series was made by people like us, for people like us. And by 'us', I mean those who believe that our reach into space already contains sufficient drama, uncertainty, and conflict.
Hollywood learned long ago that if they want to make money on a film, ie; generate large, word of mouth publicity, most everything should be exaggerated; the drama, the suspense, the conflict, and the truth.

Like I said before, it disturbs me that this film is based on a conspiracy theory, and it bothers me more that the producers decided to go with the, 'Blair Witch' approach of, 'recently discovered footage', rather than a, 'What if the conspiracy theories were true?' approach. But I don't refuse to watch Avatar because of the 'floating mountains', or 2001: a Space Odyssey because a computer has a nervous breakdown, or Star Trek because warp drive doesn't exist(and even if it did, stars are still going by on the viewscreen even at sublight speeds!). To refuse to watch this movie because it never really happened would, by logical extension, require me to refuse to watch nearly all science fiction.

Perhaps the best thing would be for Apollo 18 to become a runaway summer blockbuster which would generate more discussion on the subject. Not to mention possibly inspiring more science fiction films.

Keatah: Those people who are swayed by YouTube conspiracy videos were never really critical thinkers anyway. They'll believe whatever feels right at that moment.

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

orbekler

Reaction score
...Like I said before, it disturbs me that this film is based on a conspiracy theory, and it bothers me more that the producers decided to go with the, 'Blair Witch' approach of, 'recently discovered footage', rather than a, 'What if the conspiracy theories were true?' approach....
...Perhaps the best thing would be for Apollo 18 to become a runaway summer blockbuster which would generate more discussion on the subject. Not to mention possibly inspiring more science fiction films....
...Those people who are swayed by YouTube conspiracy videos were never really critical thinkers anyway. They'll believe whatever feels right at that moment.
That's the point, I suppose "Apollo 18" is a low budget independent movie, and the most epensive part for this kind of films is the ads. So, why don't you leave people spreading the word, YT helps in this!
Even w/o YT, there were examples of this marketing tecniques, such Deodato's (himself seen in Hostel 2 as a cannibal) "Cannibal Holocaust" (1979) (in which an actor is now in italian parliament :lol:) exploitation movie where actors had signed contracts with the production ensuring that they would not appear in any type of media, motion pictures, or commercials for one year after the film's release in order to promote the idea that the film was truly the recovered footage of missing documentarians.
Eventually Deodato was arrested and had to void contract to prove that it was not a snuff movie.
Result: 200k dollars incoming (it was 1979!), and people really thought it was a real footage for long time. If I was a producer, I wouldn't find other best way to promote a film, with YT and many many many believers, it's a joke to make money.
Just a business.:)

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Why is it that aliens and monsters always find us humans so darn tasty ?

Don't you ever have the urge to eat brains?

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

On another note, a lot of the drama and intrigue surrounding the real Apollo missions came from the engineering trials and tribulations. Trying things that had never been done before. Making all the unknowns work together. I wish we had that spirit today. Much of the engineering stuff done today feels like make-work, keep-me-busy, round-out-the balance-sheets-to-look-good sort of thing.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If movies are supposed to be realistic think about all the great movies that would 'suck' because they aren't realistic.

Ahem... the difference with a "great movie" is that it can successfully suspend your disbelief, because it can carry scientific rubbish in the story.

It remains to be seen whether this movie is great. I doubt it will be- it will likely be worthwhile, but not exceptional.

From where I stand now it seems too similar to that late 70s/early 80s film that starred Walter Koenig as an astronaut on the Moon who rescues a woman from an ancient civilisation while battling beserk lunar robots...

The difference is that Star Wars never ties reality directly to the fiction, even though the fiction of spaceflight portrayed ends up being believed by many- to the chagrin of spaceflight enthusiasts and Orbinauts the world over.

This film, already by having the premise (Of course its fictional, but that doesn't matter- the film production is real, and that is its premise) of a secret Apollo mission, is trying to impose its rubbish directly on reality. Kind of like making a film in the modern era where dinosaurs and early humans share the Earth. You are going to upset a whole lot of paleontologists by doing this- it's a forgone conclusion.

Don't you ever have the urge to eat brains?

Not particularly, and even less since I found out that brains can harbour dangerous prion-based diseases...

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
From where I stand now it seems too similar to that late 70s/early 80s film that starred Walter Koenig as an astronaut on the Moon who rescues a woman from an ancient civilisation while battling beserk lunar robots...

Ah, Moontrap. Starring Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell. Groovy. :thumbup:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
orbekler: That's the point, I suppose "Apollo 18" is a low budget independent movie, and the most expensive part for this kind of films is the ads.

This is probably true, however, there's a difference between a low budget, independent film, shot and edited with 'artistic fulfillment' in mind, and a low budget, independent film, shot and edited with an eye toward impressing someone from a worldwide distributor.

orbekler: If I was a producer, I wouldn't find other best way to promote a film, with YT and many many many believers, it's a joke to make money.

" ...a joke to make money"!? Shush!! There could be Capitalists listening.:shifty:

:hailprobe:

MasterChief

Reaction score
The part where the astronant saluts the flag that was the same seen from Apollo 15. Fakest and worst movie I know.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Personally, once i feel that something rocked the whole LM like that, i'd IMMEDIATLEY get outa there. I wouldn't care if my CM is off-plane or in a non-optimal place for rendezvous, i'd get the hell out of there.

Also, if my LMP started thrashing wildly around with a hammer, i would be super scared. i'd be like: "Holy :censored:, calm the :censored: down!!"

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe they did, because it really was that bad.

Maybe they read the backlash from space enthusiasts and decided to redo everything.

Or maybe it is in development hell, and the movie will never, for all eternity, grace a movie or television screen...

I wish. :dry:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
This "movie" makes the question "Who takes the time for such stupidity?" come to mind. Well I guess they won't care because they are gonna be 'rich'.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Love it! Blair Witch meets Alien on the Moon during an Apollo mission?

What's not to like?

I liked Duncan Jones's Moon too, even though the lunar gravity was never simulated either. For that matter it's done really badly in 2001 too.

The Hollywood rule on lunar gravity seems to be: Inside the base or spacecraft, Earth gravity applies and you move normally. Outside on the lunar surface you walk very very slowly, shuffling your feet along the ground.