Humor Apollo 18:the movie

Ark

Reaction score
I'm actually excited. A limited-budget space horror movie based on a fictional Apollo flight? Hell yeah I'm on board. It's a movie, as long as it's interesting I'm more than willing to suspend my disbelief...at least until the main characters walk out the back door of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and find themselves in a desert junkyard. :facepalm:

As for hiding a Saturn V launch, you don't need to hide it. Just lie about what it is.

Keatah

Reaction score
what a nice pic of the xr2 in jovian space. Is that a shopjob or a real screenshot?

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Geez...

As if the original Apollo missions hadn't been exciting enough. :facepalm:

Keatah

Reaction score
Secret Saturns, Moon Monsters .. I'm all for it. This is Hollywood entertainment folks!

Of all the moon hoax videos, I liked this one the best. It almost looks real!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hDI-uB6LQ0"]YouTube - Alien Spaceship on The Moon Flyover Before Landing Apollo 20[/ame]

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The only problem with this is that the Apollo missions tended to broadcast a LOT of stuff over live television and NASA gave each mission a LOT of fanfare to try to keep public interest, let alone "Stealthily" launching a Saturn 5. It would be VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for them to keep an Apollo mission a secret. People in the 1970's would have seen the mission implode right before their very eyes. All we have to do is look to the Apollo 13 mission for that. There was a disaster that happened in space. Did NASA cover it up ? There had been so many news agencies covering the launch in some way that someone would have reported it OR if it was covered up, the news would have reported a NEWS BLACKOUT from NASA, causing everyone to know that something was wrong.

orbekler

Reaction score
well, it's just Hollywood, not a documentary - the movie only has to be fun to watch. But since when were LM's so big that there can be a bed inside?
There are 2 beds in LM, at least in that they're correct.
e29c47fdec197f8e292a2f931d95c4ec05c129427288298398d88b1e9ad49f076g.jpg

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
At least the props look accurate.
Did I spot a dead cosmonaut and LK lander?

Wonderer

Reaction score
Why would Nasa cover up a mission before launch if it went wrong after the launch? :shifty:

Keatah

Reaction score
Why would Nasa cover up a mission before launch if it went wrong after the launch? :shifty:

I don't know, but the gov't can do anything!

Either way, I'm looking to get a couple of good visuals and stories for nighttime scary moon stories.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Honestly though, I think the whole secret Saturn V launch is something you just have to hold your disbelief in.

Holding my disbelief in that will be like holding 100 keV plasma in a paper lantern... :shifty:

As for hiding a Saturn V launch, you don't need to hide it. Just lie about what it is.

Obviously. Clearly, the Skylab launch was Apollo 18. But since the Skylab launch was Apollo 18, there couldn't have been any Skylab and thus... Skylab was faked! It was all shot on a soundstage!

:lol:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I don't see the hate some people are giving this movie. :idk:
I can suspend my disbelief, after all they aren't claiming that it is 'real' footage from a 'real' mission are they?

Can somone please explain why people are hating on Apollo 18?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can somone please explain why people are hating on Apollo 18?

You can't hide a Saturn V launch. The whole premise of the film is that of a classified launch.

Keatah

Reaction score
This is a movie, this is a story. If you want historical accuracy you need to watch the documentaries and nasa footage. I can't wait till this show comes out. In fact, I'm gonna see at the Gold Class Cinema -- http://www.goldclasscinemas.com/

The seats are big enough to hold two people! Bigger than the first class on singapore airelines

Nazban

Reaction score
The seats are big enough to hold two people! Bigger than the first class on singapore airelines
what about emirates??
anyways looking foward to this movie!!!

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Uhrm, I'm not sure watching the movie is top priority with such seats.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is a movie, this is a story. If you want historical accuracy you need to watch the documentaries and nasa footage.

You know, this view really annoys me. What I feel you're saying here is that no film should have historical or scientific accuracy, and to 'get' scientific and historical accuracy, one should watch... documentaries and NASA footage?

I'm sorry, but there are too many films that are rubbish, accuracy wise. It lends to the general dumbing-down of society. Likewise, "documentaries and historical footage" are not entertainment... ok, maybe they are a type of entertainment if you are so inclined, but still...

Is it too much, to ask for good storytelling that has also made an effort to be historically/scientifically accurate and/or not downright absurd?

Granted, they do seem to have gotten quite a few things right... or right-ish. Maybe it won't matter much because the camera will be shaking more than an astronaut riding in an Ares I, but this looks to be a rather mundane found-footage horror/thriller film a la Blair Witch Project which seems to be increasingly cliche, but it remains to be seen whether it is actually anything exceptional...