Humor Apollo 18:the movie

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It's a horror movie, not a historical drama on the Apollo program. If you want that then you should go watch Apollo 13 or From Earth to the Moon. You've just got to just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the movie for what it is.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I ignored the entire plot just for the technical detail, which was surprisingly accurate.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
After seeing it a couple of times...
I liked the hardware rebuilding and the attempt to have some accuracy in it. A lot of filmmakers don't even get close to that (see Transformers 3 with the shot of Apollo 11 heading towards the Moon without the LM docked). Of course, it has the usual trappings of BW-style movies and some.

I believe that the Moon is a great setting for a horror movie: you have complete isolation, home in view but so far away, no rescue possible in any acceptable timeframe, hostile environment and a limited number of locations in which to hide. However, if you want to make it "realistic" enough you have to work with a limited number of characters which reduces the plot options.

Then, unfortunately, you have the plot holes which are horribly evident: all the footage shot on the Moon in Apollo 18 comes from either the TV cameras or the handheld film cameras. Logically, only the former should be available because...

SPOILERS ALERT

If the LM remained on the Moon, and the CSM was destroyed in the collision with the LK, how did the filmed footage end up on Earth and be developed?

Then while the LK was very well recreated (too big on the inside, however), no amount of handwavium could conceal the fact that unless your astronaut is a) able to read Russian and b) familiar with the controls enough to operate them in his sleep (which is the degree of familiarity one has to have with them) there's no way he could RV with the CSM in a spacecraft that has a wholly different flight profile than the LM has. By the way, where is the Soyuz lunar spacecraft? Was it ordered back to Earth after they lost contact with the LK or what?
And I wonder if the LK could still work after an extended period of time...

Then, while the Apollo CSM is no X-Wing, it's fully able to maneouver on its own. Since it was already configured for rendezvous with the LK, why didn't the pilot thrust away when he saw the LK was on a collision course?

And there's also the question of why did they bother to design a mission patch for what was essentially a Black Op IN SPACE? First rule of clandestine ops, you "sanitize" everything. No ID, no tags, no serial numbers on equipment, the usual stuff. Moreover, they still control the mission from Houston, difficult to keep anything secret there. Why didn't they duplicate the control room at Cheyenne Mountain or SAC, or any covert installation? The hardware is duplicable, I suspect you can train some military personnel to act as Mission Control.

And of course, why bugs? They're not scary at all. Part of the appeal of BW was that you were never totally sure what was going on.

Last edited: