Humor Apollo 18:the movie

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Keatah

Reaction score
What is disconcerting is that folks are replying in the comments section that we need to prove the previous 6 landings actually happened. I, personally, am totally dismayed at the lack of critical thinking about what is real and what is fake.

I also noticed that this type of thinking is now prevalent among college student aged folks that are also of the facebook crowd. mostly among folks that were born 10 years after the last mission. uhm something like that.

Comments like, "Prove the other six missions were real first, THEN we can talk about Apollo 18. I don't think they happened", are so juvenile and indicates the limited thinking that is becoming so pervasive throughout society today.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

What else bother me is that the camera has to keep bouncing around, this is a problem in many other movies, not just this one. Too much nervousness and caffeine in the camera operators. *I* don't like stuff like that.

AND, what is with the false brown tinting used in so many videogames and movies. Why do they have to tint movies a certain color, like light aqua blue, or off-white, or tan?

And why can't they get the exposure right? It's always either too bright or too dark. Just plain idiotic. Let's have real color and correct exposure.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re: Facebook crowd. Facebook revolutions make, young padawan {g}...
Re: color and exposure. Even the worst Hollyweird movies boast better color than e.g. Russian ones. The collective accumulated wisdom of thousands of cameramen does tell... The fake brown tint is BTW an insult to the actual capabilities at the time.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
What.
The.
Hell.
Did.
I.
Just.
Watch.
Brb, cleansing my soul with some Armageddon.

andysim

Reaction score
cannot unsee whats seen :embarrassed::embarrassed::compbash::compbash2::hide:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
At least with Apollo all of the technical details are publically available, so this should be slightly more accurate than Armageddon from a physics standpoint at the very least...

Wait, who am I kidding. This is hollywood, the LM will SWING AROUND THE MOON AT 10 GEES and sound will magically carry through vacuum.

Also, how would you possibly go around concealing a Saturn V launch? Those things weren't exactly stealthy.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also, how would you possibly go around concealing a Saturn V launch? Those things weren't exactly stealthy.

I think that's where the suspension of disbelief thing should come in. :)

If they had contracted me to launch a clandestine Moon mission I would have gone with the Lunar Gemini/EOR approach and left the big honking S5 in the hangar (with reluctance, I believe a S5 lifting off to be a most visceral experience).

However, I must see that some of the props look very well done and this usually means they've done some research. They're also working on a tighter budget than any Michael Bay stuff so they won't be using big special effects.

Now it will be interesting to know what the DoD was planning to do on the Moon...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
uh... how many people were in the landing module? like 6 or 7? i'm confused

Turbinator

Reaction score
I definitely plan to see this work of fiction. It's been a very long time since I last saw a (new) space horror movie.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
well, it's just Hollywood, not a documentary - the movie only has to be fun to watch. But since when were LM's so big that there can be a bed inside?

Gerdih

Reaction score
another film with aliens killing people?:( I have seen the russian lander at the end of the film?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I don't get the hate with this movie just because of the trailer having aliens.

The props seem accurate, the technical aspects seem right, heck they event went as far to identify the CDR of Apollo 18's spacesuit with a red stripe as was done with 14 - 17. I think I will go see this just because I haven't seen an Apollo Saturn V launch on the big screen ever. All I can tell is that in terms of aliens it isn't those buggy eyed guys but it seems a lot like the aliens from the movie 'Alien', there's a spider-alien inside the CDR's helmet!

And in terms of launch sites.. obviously it wouldn't be KSC. Just imagine seeing Wideawake spaceport on the big screen! :)

bujin

Reaction score

That's the easy part. You just have to have enough government agents wandering around near the launch site so that at the moment of launch, and for the next 10 minutes or so, they have to point in the opposite direction and shout "what the hell is that?", make everyone look in the wrong direction, then blame the loud noise on some rather dodgy chilli they had last night.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
But since when were LM's so big that there can be a bed inside?

If I recall correctly, there were folded up, hammock-like, beds on the PLSS rack.
ad017.gif

When the Astronauts went to bed, they were opened and clipped across the LM at the front, from side-to-side. Or is it from front to back?
ad016.gif

I recall reading that somewhere, but i can't remember where... :idk:

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't get the hate with this movie just because of the trailer having aliens.

I don't think the hate is because the trailer has aliens. I think the hate is because the trailer has cliche alien moon monsters.

Also, that they claim a Secret! Apollo! Launch! Which is utterly impossible.

I'm afraid that there's no garuntee of a Saturn V launch either... they could just cut to landing on the surface.

And in terms of launch sites.. obviously it wouldn't be KSC. Just imagine seeing Wideawake spaceport on the big screen!

Launching from Asension wouldn't help. The Saturn V and it's infrastructure is absolutely massive and there is no way you can hide it. Especially if you are suddenly putting thousands of people to work building a launchpad on a little island in the middle of the atlantic, and you are shipping rocket parts thousands of kilometers...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Honestly though, I think the whole secret Saturn V launch is something you just have to hold your disbelief in.