Advanced Question Addons for Orbiter 2016?

NSEP

Reaction score
Hello my peeps. I just installed orbiter 2016, and it is absolutely amazing. But are addons made for orbiter 2010 compatible for orbiter 2016? Or are there addons for orbiter 2016 only? The kind of add-ons i want are spacecraft/launchers, wich i think are compatible but im not sure, so i wont try it, because otherwise i will ruin my game. Thank you for reading! And thank you a a billion for replying!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hello my peeps. I just installed orbiter 2016, and it is absolutely amazing. But are addons made for orbiter 2010 compatible for orbiter 2016? Or are there addons for orbiter 2016 only? The kind of add-ons i want are spacecraft/launchers, wich i think are compatible but im not sure, so i wont try it, because otherwise i will ruin my game. Thank you for reading! And thank you a a billion for replying!

Many are compatible, but many also are not, the new terrain for example causes a lot of chaos there, because Earth no longer is flat (and we have wind)

Also the surfaces bases need work now, and many launchers require their own spaceports.

SSU has a 2016 compatible branch already, so it is possible to already try it in beta. I am optimistic that GLS will have a 2016 release ready when Orbiter 2016 is released as stable version.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Many are compatible, but many also are not, the new terrain for example causes a lot of chaos there, because Earth no longer is flat (and we have wind)

SSU has a 2016 compatible branch already, so it is possible to already try it in beta. I am optimistic that GLS will have a 2016 release ready when Orbiter 2016 is released as stable version.

This one made me laugh hard. :rofl:
If it is resting on my shoulders, then it might take a few months.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This one made me laugh hard. :rofl:
If it is resting on my shoulders, then it might take a few months.

What should I say... tomorrow I am spending the Saturday at work again (like many weekends in the past months), and from next weekend on I FINALLY have my first true vacation in the past 8 years and including being outside Germany this time without any relation to my work or duty... (I am already wondering what to do when I arrived. I have no idea how to be a tourist, I hope I won't be too bad at it.)

I hope martins won't release Orbiter 2016 in August, but if so, I am really optimistic that you can do a binary release then. Even if it might still have bugs - then other people will help us find more of then. If you want me to do it, I would need to create a binary package for SSU this Sunday, would be last call then.

PS: De facto the C++ development is fully resting on your shoulder since Easter. I only hope to be back soon.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What should I say... tomorrow I am spending the Saturday at work again (like many weekends in the past months), and from next weekend on I FINALLY have my first true vacation in the past 8 years and including being outside Germany this time without any relation to my work or duty... (I am already wondering what to do when I arrived. I have no idea how to be a tourist, I hope I won't be too bad at it.)

I hope martins won't release Orbiter 2016 in August, but if so, I am really optimistic that you can do a binary release then. Even if it might still have bugs - then other people will help us find more of then. If you want me to do it, I would need to create a binary package for SSU this Sunday, would be last call then.

PS: De facto the C++ development is fully resting on your shoulder since Easter. I only hope to be back soon.

I'm not complaining, I know people have their lives and work. :cheers:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

QUOTE]

I had wind once, but I think I got away with it.

N.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm not complaining, I know people have their lives and work. :cheers:

Still, I also have 9.5 years of SSU now. :lol: I should be working on SSU X now, instead of boring huge enterprise software.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I had wind once, but I think I got away with it.

I think I don't want to know any more details how you got away with wind. Must have been a mind-blowing experience. :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No, that butt was left behind when I moved house. Glad to say I now have no need for one(flat dweller).

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Hello NSEP, sorry for wandering off your question, it happens occasionally!
I haven't tried 2016 yet, just using the beta version at the moment. All my add-ons work, but they are fairly simple.
Most are bases, and I'm waiting till Orbiter2016 is defined before I start any more.

If you have specific spacecraft/launchers you want to use, ask away! You will get replies.

N.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I would like to add that many add-ons made for Orbiter 2006 were never successfully ported to Orbiter 2010, so it is an ongoing issue.

I would still keep a copy of Orbiter 2010 around to run your favorite add-ons, if I were you.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
FWIW it may be a good idea to make a list of "must have" (like Orbiter Sound, for example) addons that are compatible with Orbiter 2016 from Orbiter 2010.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I imagine once Orbiter '16 gets finalized into a gold release there will be a list of add-ons that are known to work (just like there was when Orbiter '10 was all new and shiny).

I myself have working versions of Orbiter back to '05. Some of those "old" addons are still very much fun to tinker around with.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Once Orbiter 2016 is launched, I'd like to see a new OrbitHangar repository for 2016-compatible addons, and here in Orbiter-Forum, we should have a dedicated section on installs, must-have addons, graphics engines, plus compatible / incompatible addons.

I really enjoy resurrecting old addon MFDs, so if we have source for any O2006 and O2010 addons that people want on O2016, I'll very likely take a crack at some of those.

mercsim

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"so i wont try it, because otherwise i will ruin my game"

I don't have a lot of Orbiter experience but I see phrases like this often in the forums. I haven't tried jsgme yet but it seems like a good idea.

Over the last month I have been using Orbiter 2010, I have probably re-installed it a hundred times. My suggestion is to embrace it! I have a small group of add-ons I really like and have customized them to the way I want. Instead of worrying about losing them, I just organized them and saved them. I made some detailed notes about how to install them from a fresh start and even combined some of them to really simplify the process.

I probably use 3 or 4 different installations at any given time. If I try something new, I use one of the test installations. If it gets cluttered or starts crashing because I mess up new stuff, I just can it and start a new one. I can do a fresh install, add sound, a few favorite modules, and my favorite 'test' add-ons in about 5 minutes. A few notes help keep it all sorted and working well. I also seem to keep jumping back and forth between 2006 and 2010. As PhantomCruiser says, its just plain fun (and educational).

When I was an Orbiter user about 10 years ago, I was always afraid of crashing it. I was afraid to dig onto files and change stuff. This time around, I dove right in changing files and learning what they all do. Its a whole lot more fun and less stressful. Just install a new one!

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
JGSME is a godsend. It's easy to remove addons that break your Orbiter with a simple mouse click.

Even then, I still have a "baseline" copy of Orbiter. Nice to have a clean copy (particularly when helping others troubleshoot).

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Once Orbiter 2016 is launched, I'd like to see a new OrbitHangar repository for 2016-compatible addons, and here in Orbiter-Forum, we should have a dedicated section on installs, must-have addons, graphics engines, plus compatible / incompatible addons.

I really enjoy resurrecting old addon MFDs, so if we have source for any O2006 and O2010 addons that people want on O2016, I'll very likely take a crack at some of those.

New OHM is in the works: http://loru.bluespiderhosting.net/ohm2/