Problem a question about the texture

weiqi

Reaction score
I have created a satellite in 3ds max8, and I have pitch some pictures on it. However,when I outputed it in .3DS and transfered it into .msh, I couldn't see the Pictures in the satellite which I had loaded into the orbiter. Can you tell me why? Thank you!

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Hi Weiqi,

the pictures have to be converted to the orbiter-readible format .dds
There is a plugin fpr photoshop and the free paint.net can do it, too.

Take a look at you mesh file (with a text editor) and make sure that the line with your texture states your texture with the .dds extension.

I hope I could help!

weiqi

Reaction score
Hi, Arthur Dent
Thanks for your help! I feel very sorry for I haven't reply to your message immediately. I have downloaded a plugin for photoshop which is used to transform jpg file to dds file, however I couldn't see the texture in the orbiter all the same. Then I tried the textures included in "orbiter060929_base/Textures", and I was glad to see the effect in the Orbiter. I couldn't understand this phenomena, can you help me?
I hope some friends can help me in this question, and thanks for your kindness!

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Okay. In order to help you, I need to know a few things:

What is the name of your dds texture file?

Where did you copy your dds texture file?

When you open the .msh file in a normal text editor (like notepad), does it have your texture in it (look at the end of the file)? what file extension does your texture file have in the .msh file? If you're unsure, just post the last 2-3 lines of your .msh file in here.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Depending on the convertor you use, you may lose data in the conversion.
If it does not convert textures, or UV coordinates, that might explain what happens.

You may like to check your mesh with [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2740"]Mesh Wizard 1.9d[/ame]
The manual also has valuable info on MSH format and also about conversion tools

weiqi

Reaction score
Hi, Arthur Dent:
I copy the "FOIL_GOL.dds" file (my own texture file) in the "orbiter060929_base/Textures" folder. After converting the 3D model into .msh format, I have checked it in notepad, I think there was nothing wrong in it. The last few lines of my .msh file is as follows:
TEXTURES 1
FOIL_GOL.dds

weiqi

Reaction score
Depending on the convertor you use, you may lose data in the conversion.
If it does not convert textures, or UV coordinates, that might explain what happens.

You may like to check your mesh with Mesh Wizard 1.9d
The manual also has valuable info on MSH format and also about conversion tools

Hi, ar81:
First, thank you for you help! I have downloaded the convertor you recommended, and I will try it a moment later. Second, I want to make out the following phenomena: I once use the .dds texture to decorate my satellite, then I transform it into the .msh file and run it in the orbiter, and I can see the textures which was added to the satellite. However, when I tried the my own .dds texture which was convected from a .jpg file, I failed o see them in the orbiter. why?
I will try some every way to find the final answer.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

I hadn't pay attention to this, I just convert it form a jpg file. What did you do when you were developing some new add-ons?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I hadn't pay attention to this, I just convert it form a jpg file. What did you do when you were developing some new add-ons?

weiqi

Reaction score
Hi,Arthur Dent:
I'm so sorry that I had published the answer to your question on ar81's item.(You can see as above.)
Best wishes!