General Question A few general questions about landing the Shuttle

Smegghed

Reaction score
So I've gone through and read a good bit of the SCOM and various checklists posted for previous missions (I still need to download the files for the upcoming mission). I'm trying to figure out how it all translates here.

Generally speaking, everything is either transmitted to the GNCs or figured out using real time data on the cue cards during the mission, but once everything is plugged in and the magic "exec" button is pressed, the shuttle pretty much takes care of the deorbit burn. The GNC also pretty much handles most if not all of the entry tasks until the PLT and CDR take over control during the final stages. Now I realize that especially lacking a good entry autopilot that's not possible here.

So first of all, the deorbit burn. I've heard some people say to wait until you're on the opposite side of the planet and burn to 56 or 57k and get ready. I've heard some people say they like to use Basesync, so I was wondering if someone could post the right settings for that. I've heard someone say the shuttle Angle would be 1.5 degrees, but that's about it. I use Basesync to land the XR2 and XR5 all the time with great success, but can never seem to get it down with the shuttle.

Also, I thought that I had understood that the shuttle doesn't start making its S-turns until later in the return phase. I thought it pretty much went through most of its heating and was into the thicker part of the atmosphere before it began bleeding off most of the energy with the banking maneuvers. Most of everything I've read or watched on here had them starting as high as 90k, so I'm confused as to when they should be done and how they work in relation to Orbiter.

I've watched AutoFCS do it in Fleet 4.5 a few times, but honestly they're different results every time, and most of the time it actually doesn't put the shuttle anywhere where it needs to be (quite possible something I'm doing and just don't know it)

Anyway, I was hoping to get some good advice and expertise in one place so I can ease some of the frustration with landing that big beautiful brick. Thanks for letting me ramble a bit, and thanks for the help.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I tried landing the Shuttle too. I failed. However I can say that sadly, AutoFCS doesn't work in the new version.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I can offer a few tips for entry that might be of some help but a lot of it is practice. What you need to be doing is making a note of your deorbit burn altitude, entry angle, PeA and distance from base. If it doesn't work you'll have an idea of what needs to be fixed next time.

First of all, weight. You really want to be as light as possible so you can glide a bit further. Some vessels have weight requirements for entry and landing. Check those out and make sure you are within them.

Secondly, Basesync MFD. Excellent MFD and a good starting point. This will show you how close you'll be to a selected base for various orbits. Remember that whatever you are flying will have some cross range potential so you might not want to be on top of the base, a few hundred KM will be just fine.

Once you've picked which orbit you want to come down on you need to get ready for the deorbit burn. I always do the deorbit burn as far away from the base as possible. This gives me a nice long glide into the target and time to adjust the entry glide profile to bring me in line with the base. I set PeA to 60km.

Once that's done it's time to sit back and just enjoy the scenery for a bit. There isn't much more you can do until you start to get into the atmosphere. At this point I use Aerobrake MFD to help bring me to the right spot over the base. I always make sure I've got a little bit of energy in reserve as this lets me fly a HAC and land.

And there you go. Make notes of everything and keep a checklist close by!

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i think you mean 60Km PeA, not PeR, i dont think the shuttle can manage 60Km PeR

Smegghed

Reaction score
I did some experimenting with Basesync and using GPCMFD Ops 3 and Glidescope (a couple of quick edits with 2 base configs and it worked fine). I set Basesync for Edwards to Angle: 1 degree, Alt to 80k, and I tried Ant between 60 an 65 degrees. After deorbit burn I couldn't quite come in right on the corridor for GPC ops 3 or on the line with glidescope MFD, so I'm sure more tweaking with the ANT setting will help that.

However, trying to stay within the lines on Glidescope mfd (controlling vertical speed with banking) I did manage to hit the ground (kinda hard, lol) a few hundred yards short of the runway. So with some better energy management I and more experimenting with GPCMFD data, I might be on to something.

Thanks for the help!