In the tool industry, it's "get some sparks for the erosion machine!" :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The truth about the moon landings is still untold by the large super powers... ;)

(Warning, Germany comedy ahead... but also pretty nice Reggae)

Voyager

Reaction score
Hehehe, my myth. The American Government continued on with the Apollo Project in secret and they have a base on the back side of the moon. Also a Saturn V on standby is at Texas, all ready.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if we are going to make a 'hoax' using Orbiter, we might as well make it educational while we do it. Perhaps to show how incredibly easy it is to fake things these days, and that you shouldn't believe everything that you see. We could put together a nice document at the end, explaining HOW we did it, and hopefully that will be enough to have people question what they read on the internet. The hoax should have some blatant errors in it that we can point out at the end, sorta like a 'Did you catch this' type thing. It would shoe people that, after even a minute amount of examination, some theories just fall apart. If we could make a few people smarter through this, I'm all for it.

As for the hoax, I kinda like Voyager's idea. The Apollo program continued in secret well into the late 70's. Why would it be concealed? The Space Program's popularity had fallen, and many people saw the US as winning the space race, so the government couldn't justify spending money on more launches. Instead of canceling the program, they continued on in secret.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
@fireballs

I wouldn't count on that. Just look at the religion based off of pokemon. Yes there is a religion based on pokemon. The creators started it as a joke and then a few weeks later they revealed the joke but alot of the followers just said basically YOU LIE! Then continued on.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
@fireballs

I wouldn't count on that. Just look at the religion based off of pokemon. Yes there is a religion based on pokemon. The creators started it as a joke and then a few weeks later they revealed the joke but alot of the followers just said basically YOU LIE! Then continued on.

I suppose there's always someone who has such conviction that something is real that they just won't give it up. I'm generally opposed to the whole idea of making a hoax, unless it is educational in some way though.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

:blink:

We have to have an eye on the cult of the probe...

incidentaly, :hailprobe:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Well, if we are going to make a 'hoax' using Orbiter, we might as well make it educational while we do it. Perhaps to show how incredibly easy it is to fake things these days, and that you shouldn't believe everything that you see. We could put together a nice document at the end, explaining HOW we did it, and hopefully that will be enough to have people question what they read on the internet. The hoax should have some blatant errors in it that we can point out at the end, sorta like a 'Did you catch this' type thing. It would shoe people that, after even a minute amount of examination, some theories just fall apart. If we could make a few people smarter through this, I'm all for it.

Great! However, for the purpose of the experiment, I would suggest making a second video explaining how we did it and release it several days after the first one, to see how many "OMFG OMFG I DIDNT KNEW THAT" comments we get.

P.S.:
fireballs619 said:
It would shoe people that,
I hope nobody shoes me...
stock-photo-a-green-toy-sports-car-about-to-be-stepped-on-by-a-large-men-s-boot-36102223.jpg

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

There is an example:

http://www.fundacion.telefonica.com/es/at/esputnik.html

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, if we are going to make a 'hoax' using Orbiter, we might as well make it educational while we do it. Perhaps to show how incredibly easy it is to fake things these days, and that you shouldn't believe everything that you see. We could put together a nice document at the end, explaining HOW we did it, and hopefully that will be enough to have people question what they read on the internet.
The problem with that is that there are awfully lot of people with write-once, read-only brains. One hears or sees something, and it gets stuck in the absolute-truths-memory, where no amount of evidence could remove it.

Once again, think of the children before making such an experiment.
At least keep the hoax reasonably harmless.

Voyager

Reaction score
Guys, how about we do the myth of continuing on with the Apollo Program. The base will be situated at Fermi. The launch facility was located in Texas and over another 23 missions continued to 1977. Then a Lunar Skylab mission was launched with the Apollo Direct Ascent. Finally in 1990, a teleportation portal was built and the lunar flights ceased, with 3 Apollo Direct Ascents stationed in the Texas desert. Would this be a good idea or not?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
There *might* be a weird combination of the two, a case where someone is totally convinced of something despite there being any evidence whatsoever, and forges some evidence to gain support to "get to the bottom of it", in a "the ends justify the means"-line of thinking, but I'd say they are pretty rare, since it takes a person with a heavy double morality and absolute conviction to pull it off. Such a combination should be rare to find in a more or less sane person.
I think I've run into one of those before. He posts "Nibiru" videos on youtube but he's actually filming mundane objects in space (Mars, the star Dubhe, etc) and he deliberately misreports the coordinates to make it seem like it can't be any ordinary object but is in fact a new object coming into our solar system that can only be seen with an infrared camera. When he first appeared I set out to disprove him both by running unbiased astrometry of his images to show their true coordinates and by observing the coordinates he claimed to be filming with an infrared sensitive camera/telescope combo of my own. I was almost immediately attacked by a single very determined person who claimed I wasn't really capable of filming in infrared and said something that suggested it was immoral to debunk the hoax because it was important for people to believe in Nibiru so that they would start making preparations. This person, whether he really was the video's author or not, truly thought the ends justified the means even if it meant creating a hoax. It's rare, but there are indeed people out there who will justify hoaxes in their minds, particularly if they think the fate of the world is at stake, and blame others for discrediting the overall claim by debunking their hoax rather than realize the damage was self-inflicted.
I hereby suggest that what we see with mythological conspiracies and hoaxes is an emerging 21. century western eschatology.
I concur with your thoughtful analysis.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
The problem with that is that there are awfully lot of people with write-once, read-only brains. One hears or sees something, and it gets stuck in the absolute-truths-memory, where no amount of evidence could remove it.

Once again, think of the children before making such an experiment.
At least keep the hoax reasonably harmless.

Again, I'm hesitant to do a hoax in the first place. I'm just saying that if people are going to do one, make it somewhat educational.