Request A DGIV-2 skin for my fictional corporation

joey1405

Backyard Space Agency Chairman
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anybody would take the time to create a DG-IV skin for me, using the logos i've created so far. I'm still working on the logos, but if you're interested, please say so. If you need anything to help you create the skin easier, feel free to ask.

Thanks

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm fairly new here, but I'm guessing if you post a preview of the logo's you have so far, you have a much better chance to get some positive response.

joey1405

Reaction score
Here's my thrown together Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/backyardspaceagency/

I want to keep the blocky type font and the scheme of colors: sky blue, white, with some black and the red coming from the DG.

I hope somebody is interested in doing this, because that's about as artistic as I get.

Keatah

Reaction score
bs -- hmm... bsa = business software association or something or other. bs sounds good on second thought!! perhaps we could make a comedy of it somehow?

joey1405

Reaction score
i'm not quite sure i know whatcha mean, what kind of comedy?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
bs -- hmm... bsa = business software association or something or other. bs sounds good on second thought!! perhaps we could make a comedy of it somehow?
:rofl:

i'm not quite sure i know whatcha mean, what kind of comedy?
BS comedy! hehehe

Better stay away from the "BS....A" logo... add another letter, either before or RIGHT after the "BS".
Even i, (a Greek peasant from Sparta) got the joke.

Gongrats on your choice of colours!:thumbup:

I believe "BYAI" (BackYardAscentionIsland) would do the trick. It sounds like "bye" and goes very nicely with..."good"
I've read about what the colours and types of fonts you'd like to have in your logo, if you could tell me more about what your company/DGIV skin/whatever you want it to "feel" like... i think i can make a DGIV skin for you.

The colours you chose (sky-deep-blue and white) cause serenity and bring back childhood memories (laying on the grass and looking up at the sky/clouds, imagining shapes, projected on the clouds).

Also, the "Blood-red" color which you chose for the "A" (which looks like a DGIV ascending) would be an extreme "opposite" (cold/hot colours). :thumbup: again!

Tell us a bit more. How are the "BackYard and the WideawakeInternational/AI" logos related? What do you want to do?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
BS comedy aside, I think Backyard is an interesting name for a private space company. It sounds like something that could be made once spaceflight is privately accessible. Although, I might recommend avoiding the title of "Space Agency", as that is usually a government-funded entity.

What exactly do they do? Are they like a space airline, which buys spacecraft like the DGIV from Spacetech and makes passenger flights out of Wideawake? In that case I would suggest something like "Spacelines". Or is their purpose exploration, like a private Moon mission? Really you could imagine any combination of Space, Aerospace, Technologies, Systems, Automatons, Industries, Agency, Organization...

I imagined something like this at some point...Kucera Aerospace, long overdue to become クセラ航空宇宙工業 Kusera Koukuu Uchuu Kougyou (Kucera Aerospace Industries). Unfortunately its founder, tonykattvc, disappeared from Orbiter-Forum. This was only after I PM'd him and made the logos:
picture.php

picture.php

(Note: Top version is for winged launches and bottom is for vertical launches.)
picture.php

picture.php

I should note that I made those in the trial version of Microsoft Word, no less... :lol:
Anyway, here's what I got by messing around in Photoshop:

attachment.php

You'll see I stole an iconic font, but it's not that recognizable...that's me being a thief again. ;)
I also stole the Cirno font. :lol:
I kind of like the one above where it says Wii, but the kerning is killing it. That one is using 176MKSD font. I liked the A flying away so I tried to include that in all of them.
The ones in the lower left are attempts at a NASA worm type logo with different fonts.

Anyway this is just preliminary, so don't go picking one out and using it just yet. Trust me, professional logo designers do this (although in Illustrator, not Photoshop, I can't vector for Cucumber Pepsi).

cheerz:cheers:

Attachments

• backyardsomething.png
    backyardsomething.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 157

FarOutInFernley

Reaction score
I really like the Kucera Logo. It makes sense that maybe the Japanese might try a real private space venture. Have you fleshed out the Kucera idea out any? Like maybe the main base on earth, what thier fleet consists of, and maybe if they have or are building a station?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I really like the Kucera Logo. It makes sense that maybe the Japanese might try a real private space venture. Have you fleshed out the Kucera idea out any? Like maybe the main base on earth, what thier fleet consists of, and maybe if they have or are building a station?

Not really, not since Kucera himself left (or rather, never responded- my read reciept never came back). I imagine a Japanese private space agency might start by renting Tanegashima, then finding a suitable island somewhere further south, near the equator.

But Kucera (company) was really going to be more of a spaceline that bought and flew XR2s, more those types of vessels. All he had done so far is make DGIV and XR5 skins with a logo quality parallel with yours. And the Japanese influence was only from me and his addiction to Touhou (shooting game that you've probably never heard of).
Anyway, I thought the Kucera logo was kinda meh (nothing new, MS Word quality), but thanks! :)

I actually did some separate musings on what kind of space station Japan and the US (including SpaceX, Bigeloew Aerospace, and NASA) could accomplish, post-STS retirement, with the most existing hardware as possible. That would be way too off topic to explain here, so thanks for the prod to start a thread for it. :thumbup:

joey1405

Reaction score
Most excellent, dude!

River Crab, you just made my day! :thumbup: After looking over what you so artfully made, I like most of the stuff on there! As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about what I want the main logo to look like. The top left and the 2nd row, middle would work VERY well with the wings of a DGIV-2. The only issue I have with that, is that I think white DG's are the worst... :facepalm:Which lead to my thoughts: what about using the reverse scheme, making the main color sky blue (I think that the blue is a little light, if you darken it a little, I would like to see a side by side comparison), and also increasing the boldness of the subscript 'BackYard Space Agency' so its more visible?

As for the Ascension Island logo, I need it to fit, scalewise, in the custom hangar names, and I'm not sure if those are the scale you posted the pic in. If we were to use a square shape for an abridged logo, I would choose the 2nd row, left. No need to alter it, except for maybe the size like I said before.

At last, we come to the mini logos in the bottom left corner. I don't want to focus on Wideawake/Ascension because I will gradually be expanding. That lead to my choice of what would be third from the top, second from the left. It has the exact shape I was looking for to go with my theme, and its fairly generic, so it can be used in several places.

:cheers: Cheers dude, you have me sold! That leaves me to ask, do you want to make the skin for the DGIV-2, the logos for Ascension, and, not now, but later, perhaps a skin for UGCO packed units/Prelude base?

HAIL PROBE! :probe:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Welcome to Wideawake, AIA wishes you all the best success in your endevours!

ps. The Solicitors want a little word though, your last rent cheque bounced ;)

I'm currently working on a new Ascension, but the current dimensions for custom signage will remain the same, but there will also be an extra square logo option too.

joey1405

Reaction score
Welcome to Wideawake, AIA wishes you all the best success in your endevours!

ps. The Solicitors want a little word though, your last rent cheque bounced ;)

I'm currently working on a new Ascension, but the current dimensions for custom signage will remain the same, but there will also be an extra square logo option too.

Thanks wehaveaproblem, the things you've done at Wideawake allowed me to even get this idea for a private space contracting company. I tip my hat to you and your company. :tiphat: Is there gonna be any really unique new features in the new version of Wideawake?

PS The check will be paid when our Initial Public Offering is approved. ^.^

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks joey[number]. I'd be happy to do some more but I'm planning to be doing more (like, more than expected) texturing for OFMM, so your skins might get done slower. They'll happen though! :thumbup: If not by me, then maybe by dgatsoulis, he's pretty pro. ;)
I'll do the hangar logo first, should be easy enough.

Also, a shout-out to wehaveaproblem for the awesome Wideawake International!
You better pay that rent though, they still need money for project Toehold! ;)

:cheers:

joey1405

Reaction score
Thanks joey[number]. I'd be happy to do some more but I'm planning to be doing more (like, more than expected) texturing for OFMM, so your skins might get done slower. They'll happen though! :thumbup: If not by me, then maybe by dgatsoulis, he's pretty pro. ;)
I'll do the hangar logo first, should be easy enough.

Also, a shout-out to wehaveaproblem for the awesome Wideawake International!
You better pay that rent though, they still need money for project Toehold! ;)

:cheers:

Don't worry 'bout it! :thumbup: I haven't played orbiter for a while, and I need to practice a little.

Oh, and the FAA and Treasury Department have accepted my IPO, and the rent has been paid!

joey1405

Reaction score
Would it be be a little redneckish if we called it the Backyard Jacuzzi? :lol:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Here are a few screenshots of how the skin turned out:

bysa5.jpg

bysa2.jpg

bysa3.jpg

And a close up (of my version) of your logo:

bysa4.jpg

I liked River Crab's light blue/turquoise colour that i saw in his pics and i used a turquoise -> deep blue gradient as a base. Didn't use any white. I had it at first, but then it reminded me too much of the transworld skin, so i switched to this very light blue/green. (Used in the stripe, air-intakes and vertical stabilizers).

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What did I say, he's a pro. :tiphat:

All I can say is, perhaps removing the dark lines around the stripe might help? IDK.

Your logo is pretty cool too, with the letters cutting through the A. The font is more like that on the Arrow, although I was never keen on such retro-futuristic fonts (my idea of futuristic more of the style of SpaceShip2, than the Arrow).
But it would fit perfectly in an Arrow-type setting. :thumbup:

So Joey1337, how far into the future do you plan on making this corporation?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks River Crab. :cheers:

All I can say is, perhaps removing the dark lines around the stripe might help? IDK.

Actually i kind of like those. It's a "drop-shadow" effect from the "main body" onto the stripe. It looks a bit cool, especially when you open the cargo bay doors. (At least to me).

The font is more like that on the Arrow.

Guilty as charged! :embarrassed:

The first "real" skin i made was for a UCGO XR2 skin, and the font kind of stuck with me. (This one is the Borg-9 from Star Trek fonts).

I've made a few dosen others (especially for the XR2 and the XR5) but they were just for me, so i didn't bother too much with the details. (That's why they aren't uploaded).

Now... back to work! The OFMM needs us!
:salute: