OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: scav

XR5 Vanguard - Modern NASA livery
Updated 18 March 2012.  FINAL update.

Overview
:
This is a top-skin remake of the XR5, in the form of NASA's current livery.  The intention is to present a realistic-looking vehicle.

Change Log (V2.2)
:

* Rendered texture using the correct procedure.  Result guaranteed to improve crew morale: Cockpit-rear overhead windows now exhibit transparency.

* Added representation of PIVRO and SIVRO.  These are cameras built into the tips of the winglets on either side of the ship.  The Port / Starboard Infra-red / Visual Spectra Re-entry Observatory was, operationally speaking, employed most heavily during orbiter development and spaceworthiness trials to determine the effectiveness of the vehicle's thermal protection system during re-entry.

* Solar panels inside of cargo bay doors now half-and-halved with system radiators.  Proof of concept is to share redundancy with legacy radiator system (in case of micrometeroid impact, equipment failure, etc).

Change Log (V2.1):

* Solar panels appended to inside of cargo bay doors.  Meant as a backup power supply.

* Crew ejection system depicted by caution taping around upper deck head.

* Slot antennas for kU-band communications.  These antennas are mounted flush with the hull skin for constant communications with the TDRS and ground networks.

Change Log (V2.0):

* United States Flag borne on starboard side of hull is now in correct orientation.  Oops.

* Minor concealment to 'frame' layer done at the cargo bay doors.  This was done to improve cohesiveness of the amalgamated texture-work.

* Minor rotation of broadside decals done to improve appearance.

* Moved and enlarged bow-side 'Constitution' placards from just behind the flight deck to just over the nose-side TPS.  Change was necessary to improve interpolation of the text; whether this was a good idea or not is still up to debate.

DOWNLOAD

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just trying to dissolve some of my first-upload jitters here. I respect this community too much, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to upload sub-par here, nor to not check up on it after the fact.

I've hit all the necessary points with this package, yes?

Turbo

Reaction score
Its nice. Resembles the shuttle good. Only thing I notice is the letters Constitution are rather blurry at my resolution (1600 x 1200). Overall a nice skin though. Thanks for posting

halcyon

Reaction score
There are a lot of XR5 Nasa repaints floating around.
This one looks the best imo.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Just trying to dissolve some of my first-upload jitters here.

Those jitters never go away m8. I still get them before I upload an addon.

I've hit all the necessary points with this package, yes?

It seems you have and congratulations on your first release Scav. Hopefully one of many and keep up the Constitution project.

:thumbup:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its nice. Resembles the shuttle good. Only thing I notice is the letters Constitution are rather blurry at my resolution (1600 x 1200). Overall a nice skin though. Thanks for posting

You're talking about the nameplates on either side of the cockpit, right? I had a late night thought about playing with anti-aliasing (or doing something different) in that region. It is a small area to work with, with regards to the rest of the skin. I'll see if I can't better that part. Thank you for your comment! :)

There are a lot of XR5 Nasa repaints floating around.
This one looks the best imo.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Then again, I have to take credit for not checking. :lol: Seriously, I am proud of the way this one turned out. It's been a work in progress.

Those jitters never go away m8. I still get them before I upload an addon.

:)

There is a tangible reason for that, I've come to find out. It's one thing to download a bunch of stuff. It's another to share something you've put a lot of yourself into. If I didn't care about what I was doing, I suppose I wouldn't get all hyped up about it.

Besides, :probe: and I had a chat a couple days ago about uploading it. :)

It seems you have and congratulations on your first release Scav. Hopefully one of many and keep up the Constitution project.

You're just not going to let that go, are you? ;) Thank you for all the help you've been. I appreciate it immensely.

I'm glad people seem to be enjoying this one. I've got ideas for the next one, but no real time to do anything about it. That's what I am: Full of ideas. :)

Last edited:

Alexander19851

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting a big problem withis update I try to launch it but it keeps shutting down and says a critical error has bean done and we're closing the application every single time I try to launch it

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hi Alexander,

First off, thank you for your patience; I just saw your post. Without seeing your orbiter.log file (it's a plain text file Orbiter spawns in the Orbiter root directory when something goes wrong), my first guess is that maybe I forgot to exclude a dependency when I released this update. The only one I can think of offhand is Kulch's Universal RMS. Anyway, I'll take a look at it when I get to college tonight and see if this isn't something that can be corrected from here.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Can you post the log file for us? If it's a critcal error, then it will show up in the log, every time.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just a quick dummy check: everything check out OK with this release?

Interceptor

Reaction score
Just a quick dummy check: everything check out OK with this release?
Looks good,so far.:thumbup:

---------- Post added 03-21-12 at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-20-12 at 02:31 PM ----------

Hey Scav,I can't find the PIVRO and SIVRO cameras on the wingtips?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Hey Scav,I can't find the PIVRO and SIVRO cameras on the wingtips?

They are kinda tiny (well, physically speaking, they're a standard size camera, but in relation to such a huge vessel . . . ). The protective covering is visible at the trailing edge of the winglet:

pivro_loc.jpg

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You're welcome. Enjoy the skin! :)

:hmm:

I wonder if Alexander's talking about the C++ runtime error? He seems to be describing this:

runtime_error.jpg

I was able to replicate that in another orbiter installation on my PC and compare it against a known good copy.

I believe there's a fix for this.