General Question XR5 Vanguard but it's a passenger spaceliner: Editing the Model File?

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hey y'all.
I love flying the XR5 Vanguard because of how it feels like I am flying a futuristic spaceliner.
Is there a way to remove the cargo bay itself and extend the passenger windows further down the fueselage?
I don't want to modify any of the systems or anything, so it would just be a model editing?
I really love flying it around because of how similar it looks like to an advanced spaceliner, yet because I don't know how to calculate fuel and payload, I find it difficult to fly because I either have too much cargo or too much fuel.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You'd probably want to talk to @dbeachy1 and @Russ_H as they own the rights to the code and the model for the XR5, respectively.

What you could possibly do is add a "cargo module" that's a passenger compartment, similar to the one the XR2 has, which extends the habitable portion significantly (and might be a more "realistic" way it would be achieved in-universe?).

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You'd probably want to talk to @dbeachy1 and @Russ_H as they own the rights to the code and the model for the XR5, respectively.

What you could possibly do is add a "cargo module" that's a passenger compartment, similar to the one the XR2 has, which extends the habitable portion significantly (and might be a more "realistic" way it would be achieved in-universe?).
Yes! That also! But I was wondering how one would see through windows. I'll talk to them then. Thanks!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yeah the payload bay doors would occlude your windows I guess. But cameras and screens are sufficient for spaceX, so why not for Altea?

Pioneer

Reaction score
A good large passenger craft is the G42 Starliner, though it comes with a larger learning curve than the XR series. Dgatsoulis has a great video showing the ascent process:

As for XR vessels, I do recall that the XR4 Nyx was supposed to have a pressurized cargo bay that would potentially allow for additional passengers.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It would be cool to have a XR5-200 (Passenger) and XR5-F (Freighter), like planes in real life.

Marijn

Reaction score
...I find it difficult to fly because I either have too much cargo or too much fuel.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

For precise cargo and fuel planning, you need a tool. A spreadsheet will help you a great deal. Because for each step of your mission, like launch, orbit circularization, orbit eject, mid course corrections, arrival etc. you need to run the rocket equation. That will give you the answer and it is not very complicated.

Tex shows a spreadsheet in many of his early video's. Eyeball them and try re-create it so you learn how it works. https://www.youtube.com/c/TexFilms/videos

I've been working on a webbased XR mission planning tool. Unfortunately, the project never really matured. It's so buggy I can only use it myself at the moment. But here's an impression:

Such a web application is a bit over the top. I think the best compromis would be a spreadsheet with some automations to export a .scn file with all the values you need.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Portholes would be a bad thing more than anything else, plain hull offers better protection from solar radiations.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
True, but you can add Shutters/Dimmers to the window, like in the Dreamliner and DGIV
Portholes would be a bad thing more than anything else, plain hull offers better protection from solar radiations.

Last edited: