Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That's really great, but that bay looks as big as (or even bigger than) the XR5. Or that might just be a trick of the camera angle.

And I thought Doug Beachy was the only one making XR-series vessels.

Loru and I have been working on these models (under the XR name) with Doug's permission and blessing. In fact, there's a third one that's WIP as well that I know of. ;)

I'm fairly certain Doug is the one that's gonna be doing the programming for them - I certainly couldn't make anything as nice and shiny as the XR2's code. :p

And yeah, trick of the camera angle. It's as big floor-space wise, but it's significantly shorter (1 XR5 cargo unit.)

... yeah, I'm gonna go start that thread now, otherwise Loru's gonna smack me when he wakes up and sees me threadjacking him. xD

Edit: That thread is here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28148

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Douglas "DBeachy1" Beachy does the coding for the XR series. The meshes are done by others. The XR-1 is a modified DG, the original for which was made by (name escapes me, it was flying tiger or something). The XR-2 Was made by Steve "coolhand" Tyler, and the XR-5 was made by Russell "Russ_H" Hicks.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Douglas "DBeachy1" Beachy does the coding for the XR series. The meshes are done by others. The XR-1 is a modified DG, the original for which was made by (name escapes me, it was flying tiger or something). The XR-2 Was made by Steve "coolhand" Tyler, and the XR-5 was made by Russell "Russ_H" Hicks.

Frying Tiger, actually.

Rybec

Reaction score
Any chance of built-in UCGO support, or are we still relying on Woo's cargo platforms?
I know cluttered/complex cargo management screens were one of the concerns for UCGO support (and on the XR5 it'd be completely ridiculous),
but since this is using XR2 slots, perhaps a layout like this:
picture.php

Internally, a slot would either be in XR-payload mode or UCGO mode, depending on what you try to grapple into it. Slot must be empty to change types. Reasonably simple here since you can only fit 2 UCGOs in a single slot anyway.

Just food for thought. It'd be nice to be able to carry/use universal cargo without needing an adapter and having to leave the vehicle to manage it.

Scattykat

Reaction score
Will the XR3 have a similar docking port position to the XR5?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed it will - small separate door to cover it and probably extendable "elastic tunnel" to make docking easy.

concept similar to this one but with "rubber tunnel" outside mechanism instead of inside:

cr-04.jpg

Last edited:

Hmuda

Reaction score
XR2 was always too small for my needs and the XR5 was too big and unwieldy. I think you guys just started working on my new favorite craft. Thank you! :)

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys great work, we will eventually have a whole XR fleet :thumbup:

I love the XR ships but if there was just one thing I could wish for:
A more complex electrical and life suport system like the DGIV to simulate putting them to sleep mode when docked or landed for long periods, external power, shutting down the engines when not in use and shutting down of un-needed systems

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Nice work so far Loru. I like the fact that it looks like an up-scaled XR2.

This maybe a question for Doug, but perhaps you know too. Is the concept here that this is a light lifter, or an extended duration XR1/2 class vessel? I ask because it seems the cut off point in the fleet is whether the cargo bay can take a TEU or not. The 1,2,3 can't, the 4,5 can.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a question for Doug but I think you can squeze 1 TEUs in it. I'd need to make a "trench" in the center but it's only around 20-30 cm deep.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
To clarify, XR vessel payloads are handled at the bay slot level. So while any Orbiter vessel (including a UCGO cargo) can be an XR payload, it is limited to one vessel per XR bay slot. Since the XR3 has twelve bay slots it could carry, by default, a maximum of 12 UCGO payloads. As such, there is no need for a trench in the bay.

The best way to carry UCGO cargos is to use an add-on like Woo482's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4571"]UCGO Cargo Platform[/ame] which allows an XR vessel to carry the maximum number of UCGO cargos that will fit in the bay. Versions for the XR2 and XR5 already exist, and Woo482 may want to write one for the XR3 as well.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
cheers Doug,
Any further comment on my previous question: "Is the concept here that this is a light lifter, or an extended duration XR1/2 class vessel?"
:tiphat:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess it depends on the definition of "light lifter". I think of it as the XR2's big brother: it will carry up to twelve XR2-sized cargos instead of just three and has ~4.8 times the XR2's volume and mass. It will not carry a TEU, nor is it designed to, so in that sense it's a larger XR2 and not a "lifter".

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess it depends on the definition of "light lifter". I think of it as the XR2's big brother: it will carry up to twelve XR2-sized cargos instead of just three and has ~4.8 times the XR2's volume and mass. It will not carry a TEU, nor is it designed to, so in that sense it's a larger XR2 and not a "lifter".
Cheers for the thoughts. I think she will warrant the creation of some more of the mini cargos then, to expand her delivery repertoire. You still got that... Jim Beams skin was it? :)

Ark

Reaction score
So are we looking at standard control panels like the other XRs?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
sounds like a great idea, somewhere between the monster and the private jet of spaceflight

i also had an idea for a useful cargo, how about a satalite, that can be configured from the XR3, then deployed where it has a number of configurations (not sure exactly what, perhaps choosing which instruments to deploy---read on), which can be captured rather safely and totally re-used, after a trip back to the earth to have its powerplant replaced and the space dust is cleaned off its lenses :p

will be great for launching supply missions to stations, will its crew capacity be similarly optimistic like the XR2? cramming 16 people into that small space was just asking for cabin-fever epidemics. how about accommodating fewer people in greater luxury?

also, are we talking about a similar range to the XR2? could we occupy half the bay with extra fuel and make a comfortable range to get to our favourite mooon baces?

so many questions, so little thread!

thanks, and keep up the great work!

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you could indeed carry more people, i was just suggesting that the journey could be more luxurious (and extortionatley expensive) if fewer seats were put in, and they massaged the crew and nice things like that. besides, who ever uses sixteen UMMUs on a single journey in an XR2 except for killing as many UMMUs as possible? (or perhaps a very difficult EVA, with a large chance of burning to a crisp in the atmosphere)