Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I figured he meant becuase it looks so real that it would be quite out of place all the way out there.

As it stands now, I have mine tweaked to where it *just* makes it into orbit on it's own, might actually need a boost to get to the space station. Truly a space plane, no point in going much beyond LEO with something like that (maybe the moon with a big enough booster). I might actually tweak it down more. It has really added to the immersion, challenge and fun.

I dunno. For me, the premise behind the XR2 is that of a futuristic space learjet.
I like the idea of flying more realistic craft, but I don't see the XR2 as one of them.

I won't be piloting an XR2 to Venus anytime soon though. Six months in that cabin pushes the bounds of realism for me.

Erupter

Reaction score
You can disable the APU feature by editing your ConfigXR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file and setting 'APUFuelBurnRate=0':

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# APU Fuel Burn Rate : this is the rate at which APU fuel is burned in kg/sec.
etc.

Well ok, i know, i've read the manual.
But that was not the point.
Mine was intended as a proposal, sort of constructive criticism.
But you are the developers, you make your choices.
Sorry if i asked.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I dunno. For me, the premise behind the XR2 is that of a futuristic space learjet.
I like the idea of flying more realistic craft, but I don't see the XR2 as one of them.

I won't be piloting an XR2 to Venus anytime soon though. Six months in that cabin pushes the bounds of realism for me.

Well, from the appearance and internals (engines and fuel aside), it's actually quite modern in every respect, and more "realistic" than things like the DG, or XR5, or other such space plane add-ons. Which is why I think the severe power was so much of a concern for me. But that customizability is brilliant.

-----Post Added-----

Well ok, i know, i've read the manual.
But that was not the point.
Mine was intended as a proposal, sort of constructive criticism.
But you are the developers, you make your choices.
Sorry if i asked.

I don't really see the point. It's not really "constructive criticism" because you already have the option to make it the way you want it. Your suggestion, if anything, would revoke that option from others, as well as change the nature of the craft, potentially in a way not to many peoples (including the devs) liking.

Erupter

Reaction score
I don't really see the point. It's not really "constructive criticism" because you already have the option to make it the way you want it. Your suggestion, if anything, would revoke that option from others, as well as change the nature of the craft, potentially in a way not to many peoples (including the devs) liking.

My point was suggesting a line of development that would (in my PERSONAL opinion) enrich the vessel by providing feasibile, realistic and additional detail simulation.
At the moment most systems seem electrically powered, but there is no electric generation simulation. And, as I said, there currently is the technology to make hydraulic systems electric driven. All of this brought me to think that a near-future craft such as the XR2 could do without conventional tech like APU and go all electric. But as i said it's not my choice and mine was only a proposition.

I like the craft, my words were not intended to discredit the devs work.
Sorry if i sounded rude.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
My point was suggesting a line of development that would (in my PERSONAL opinion) enrich the vessel by providing feasibile, realistic and additional detail simulation.
At the moment most systems seem electrically powered, but there is no electric generation simulation. And, as I said, there currently is the technology to make hydraulic systems electric driven. All of this brought me to think that a near-future craft such as the XR2 could do without conventional tech like APU and go all electric. But as i said it's not my choice and mine was only a proposition.

I like the craft, my words were not intended to discredit the devs work.
Sorry if i sounded rude.

Right. But that was my point. All this stuff is make-believe anyway, there's no fuel or hydraulics or electronics on these virtual craft in the first place. So you you want it to be purely electric (which doesn't seem that likely anyway as explained prior, but nevermind that), then all you have to do is tweak the config to make it have infinite "fuel" and change the sound for it, and the net effect is EXACTLY the same as it not burning any fuel at all.

So you can have it the way you want it. It's already in there.

dirtyname

Reaction score
OK, I'm gonna throw 2 more cents worth into this discussion...

The XR2 is just an incredible and beautiful machine, period. Coupled with the Wideawake expansion, I'm having a blast - I am building an "inflatable" moon base on Taurus Littrow using the CTRL-F4 scenario editor. After landing on the moon with the XR2, I "deploy" ISS modules and other stuff (piece by piece) and I have created a plausible-looking temporary lunar habitat after several missions.

I then return to Wideawake using IMFD base align and Aerobrake MFDs to drop beautifully out of the stratosphere and onto the island for picture-perfect landings, then taxi to the cargo bay cranes on site, where I refit and refuel for another trip.

What incredible fun.

My suggestions for any reworking/remodeling:

Fewer seats in the passenger compartment, replaced with more functional items - a case of Slurm, for example, would be more appealing than another passenger seat.

If there is any way to model a ground-accesible cargo hatch, that would be excellent as well. Right now, I don't see a realistic way for an astronaut to access cargo carried in the XR2 while it is landed on the lunar surface unless Wideawake-style overhead bays are contructed on the moon.

I know, the XR2 isn't really designed as a lunar excursion vehicle...whatever. It's working nicely for me. Just remember to close any unnecessary hatches and doors when on the survace to minimize the chances that moon dust will affect the spacecraft!

Thanks again to the devs for making such a wonderful machine.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I know, the XR2 isn't really designed as a lunar excursion vehicle...whatever. It's working nicely for me. Just remember to close any unnecessary hatches and doors when on the survace to minimize the chances that moon dust will affect the spacecraft!

Thanks again to the devs for making such a wonderful machine.

Thanks, always nice to read about the adventures you're having with doug and myselfs work... and knowing how people use these addons can only benefit future addons.

I think the xr2 makes a pretty good lunar vehicle, those hover thrusters aren't just for showing off... the xr2 is built take you anywhere from the earths surface, directly to anywhere on the moons surface*

If regularly landing on the moon though, remember to reduce your landing gear & baydoor service interval time by 3/4** normally recommended every 60,000,000** miles.

*Though i'm pretty sure this is possible - i should imagine easily with a full load of additional fuel - i haven't attempted it myself.

**these numbers may or may not be completely factual and/or plucked from hard vacuum.:p

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the xr2 makes a pretty good lunar vehicle, those hover thrusters aren't just for showing off... the xr2 is built take you anywhere from the earths surface, directly to anywhere on the moons surface
I'm holding out for the lunar-recycled-dune-buggy version :p

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
but if you did that it would not be the XR2.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like where you're going, Coolhand. Please, do go on. ;)

I think only Coolhand could turn a fugly beast like that into something beautiful. I almost want to see it now. :lol:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
no, it would be really ugly... fixed landing pads, scrams removed, aero surfaces removed, all flaps and hatches removed (aside from those needed to maintain internal pressure) possibly some of the skin removed, exposing its innards. It would certainly be interesting looking anyway. I think thats the idea yagni was talking about, i don't recall it being mentioned in here before, but it's probably been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
no, it would be really ugly... fixed landing pads, scrams removed, aero surfaces removed, all flaps and hatches removed (aside from those needed to maintain internal pressure) possibly some of the skin removed, exposing its innards. It would certainly be interesting looking anyway. I think thats the idea yagni was talking about, i don't recall it being mentioned in here before, but it's probably been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

But it would be fun. Especially if it looked like it was "refitted" on a shoestring budget, and if the panels were held together with duct tape. :lol:

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... you know it's a truly flexible vehicle when you can perform a 'pipe-buggy' mod on it. Hehehe

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's the one - XR2L JumpBuggy.:)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
what does the L stand for?

I wouldn't think of it as an actual production model, you could build a cheaper ship by using a more simple design, more a one off.

Or perhaps in production as in a way of recycling the vehicle - say its no longer re-entry worthy after so many thousands of hours but again, you'd maybe just take the bits you need from it and have a more simple frame.

Either way, it ends up as a kind of scrapheap challenge spaceship decades after its manufacture.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Either way, it ends up as a kind of scrapheap challenge spaceship decades after its manufacture.

Scrapheap spaceships?

Sounds cool. Reminds me a bit of the millenium falcon.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
hmmm... sort of. but thats more of a modified classic, it's still essentially a YT1300. Something more like this old peice of artwork...

Attachments

• junkfighter02.jpg
    junkfighter02.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.