Problem XR2 & European DG-Launcher

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently downloaded the DG-Launchers (which are cool by the way), but I'm having a bit of trouble with XR2 launches with the European launcher.

Basically, I can launch just fine. The SRB's come off, and the spacecraft continues with the external tank attached. But then, for some reason, the external tank suddenly jettisons automatically without attaining orbit, leaving my XR2 to dip back into the atmosphere and burn up.

I thought it might be because the XR2 was too heavy, but I used the scenario editor to get rid of virtually all the fuel, and all the payload, and it still seems to have the problem with being unable to automatically attain orbit -- and prematurely jettisoning the tank.

Also, on a quick side not. I remember I used to be able to do automatic re-entries and landing with the Shuttle Fleet using the FCS I think it was called, but now it doesn't seem possible. Is that simply due the fact that's it's not compatible with Orbiter 2010? It's not a huge deal, since I can still use the maintain attitude function on the MFD.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Side note regarding getting AutoFCS to work is answered in this post, but I'll paste the bulletpoint here for you:

mshields said:
The solution is to force the parser to write out all default and non-default values by making the following change to Orbiter.cfg.

Edit "EchoAllParams = FALSE" to read "EchoAllParams = TRUE".

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I thought it might be because the XR2 was too heavy, but I used the scenario editor to get rid of virtually all the fuel, and all the payload, and it still seems to have the problem with being unable to automatically attain orbit -- and prematurely jettisoning the tank.

Your launch mass should be < than 24 tons.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Thanks, the FCS issue seems to be solved :)

Well, I have one more issue though. I can select runways from Edwards and some other places with the FCS, but none of the Kennedy runways show up in the FCS. I suppose there's some sort of file I have to edit to add in runways?

Also, I unfortunately still have issues with the XR2. I did a launch with 0 fuel in the XR2, 0 payload, and only 1 pilot, and for some reason my scenario won't attain orbit.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How does this addon work? Is it Velcro rockets? or .dlls. I remember the North American one being velcro rockets but I never used the european one.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, I unfortunately still have issues with the XR2. I did a launch with 0 fuel in the XR2, 0 payload, and only 1 pilot, and for some reason my scenario won't attain orbit.

What's the mass of the vessel at launch ?

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
The XR2 is like 17,000 kilograms on launch. That's with 0 fuel and payload.

The External tank doesn't erroneously jettison anymore, but the best I can get is a highly parabolic sub-orbital path.

I tried using the XR2 to complete the orbital insertion. While it does kind of negate the fuel saving purpose of the DG-Launcher, I'd be okay with resorting to that if I can get it to work. But the sub-orbital path is so parabolic that I burn up in the atmosphere before I can manage to complete the orbit.

Also, to the Cras, I'm not exactly sure how the launcher works. I think it's velcro, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
You save A LOT of fuel even with the OMS-like burn. The XR2 has delta-v to land on the moon alone, with the launcher you can maybe (I'm not 100% sure) reach Jupiter with default configs and an O2 cargo in bay.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, to the Cras, I'm not exactly sure how the launcher works. I think it's velcro, but I'm not entirely sure.

No, it isn't.

Oh and BTW, do you use the LUA script to launch ? If you fly manually, it explains all.

If yes, are you sure you are executing the launcher script (and not Atlantis one) ?

Last edited:

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Well I do run('DGL'), and then launch(), so the whole thing is automatic.

Is there any way to set specific orbital parameter, like desired apoapsis or things like that?

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Well, I think I may have solved the problem. I appreciate everyone's input greatly though.

I created a new scenario, and it attained a perfect orbit. So it very well could have just been a simple matter of a flawed scenario code + weight issue.

So thanks again.

Last edited: