Request XR-2 Virtual Cockpit

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any plans to finish the 3D virtual cockpit of the excellent XR-2? Lately I have been playing with this ship as my favored "future" craft, and the only thing missing that would make it more fun would be to be able to throw switches and press buttons "from the inside."

Thanks again DBeachy and Coolhand and Russ H for such a great project.

Last edited:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I think he's planning on adding one in the next version of the XR-2 (though I'm probably wrong)

halcyon

Reaction score
I've been patiently waiting for the VC to be finished, which was announced for the XR2 Mk 2.
It's been almost a year and a half though, and I have doubts it will be done at this point.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Everyone has to realize two things: 1) Projects like this are huge and require a significant amount of creative energy, energy which isn't always available and which waxes and wanes from time to time; and 2) they do this on their own free time, of their own free will, with no payment except our thanks. If they choose to never finish the VC, then so be it: the XR2 will still be one of the best add-on vessels ever released for Orbiter, and that's good enough for me.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Everyone has to realize two things: 1) Projects like this are huge and require a significant amount of creative energy, energy which isn't always available and which waxes and wanes from time to time; and 2) they do this on their own free time, of their own free will, with no payment except our thanks. If they choose to never finish the VC, then so be it: the XR2 will still be one of the best add-on vessels ever released for Orbiter, and that's good enough for me.

I couldn't agree more. I am very grateful for what has been done.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score

Absolutely!

But I also know that sometimes projects are dropped when there doesn't seem to be much interest in the user community for them, so it can be good, from time to time, to express that interest.

So Dbeachy please don't see this post as any sort of demand, but simply interest expressed!

:thumbup:

ikrase

Reaction score
Perhaps someone else might take up the challenge?

It already has a static VC. It would not be over-hard to incrementally add functions to the elements, it seems.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Perhaps someone else might take up the challenge?

It already has a static VC. It would not be over-hard to incrementally add functions to the elements, it seems.
You'd need access to the source in order to add that, and the XR2 isn't open-source.

ikrase

Reaction score
wow i know nothing about orbiter modding apparently.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most are open source.
Well, given that most Orbiter addons consist of simple config or SC3 vessels or scenario files which are by their very nature "open source," yes, I suppose that's true...

However, I would say that the majority of addons for which the phrase "open-source" is relevant (ie, addons which are compiled into a dll) *aren't* open source. If you go by usage, the most-used addons for which "open source" is relevant (XR series, DGIV, DGex, Shuttle Fleet) *aren't* open-source.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's true, but I was looking more at the meshes, which are mostly viewable anyway.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
we love your work coolhand!

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
"Thanks again DBeachy for such a great project."

you're welcome, oh, wait...

Whups.

:blush:

I also missed Russel Hick's contribution too.

:uhh:

I guess being left out of the thanks doesn't really inspire you to jump right up and add the virtual cockpit does it?

Sorry about that guys. I'll run up there and fix the omission.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
hmm, I dont recall Russell working on it, he built the XR5 of course.

I modelled & textured everything for the XR2, worked out the animations and material settings I wounldn't like to say who put more hours into it... but thats not the point anyway.

And yeah its disappointing when people forget i was involved, or seem to have no knowledge of my contribution. To the point where as you pointed out, i'm not particularly motivated to work on it further. XR2 consumed months and months of my free time, and Dougs also, i think we were / are both burned out on it. And at last check, really busy with work - Dougs a professional coder, and i'm a professional 3d artist, so after a long day coding or modelling its nice to do something else.:)

Also, XR2's model isn't open source and you shouldn't be able to see it in things other than orbiter, unless doug dropped the encryption... thinking back however i can't remember whether that was dropped due to a bug or something.

If you can get at the files, please respect the contract you entered into when you downloaded and installed the files and leave them alone.

As for the future, i've actually put a lot of time into a mk 2 model, you can see it in my avatar here
<

If the thread is still there you can see its development in my xr2 addon development thread.

It has a revised cockpit layout, entirely new more realistic landing gear, revised radiator, wing shape and is lengthened to carry more passengers and cargo. I'm not entirely sure when i'll find the time to finish it completely, or if doug is entirely sold on the idea of the virtual pit at this point, which is apparently a lot of work to code... I think doug personally (hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him) is quite happy to fly without a VC, so that personal interest / motivation is i think lacking. which i can fully understand as i find it nearly impossible to work on something when i dont feel a personal motivation to see it finished, for me a VC is a vital element, and the MK1, does not to me feel finished because of this, its a motivation of mine to see it in there basically and see it finished as i originally wanted to fly it, from inside the pit with all the buttons working and being able to look around in there with headtracking gizmo.

Anyway, I haven't spoken to him for a long time regarding this issue and i could be dead wrong or remembering things differently... turned 30 recently, senility is setting in early i guess.

I could probably find some time before the summer to tidy up the mk2, however if doug still doesn't have the time for coding the pit, perhaps we could agree to work with someone else to handle the mk2 upgrade and VC coding, which might be a faster way of getting the mk2 with its virtual pit out there.

After all, its just sat there waiting... i'd like to think that it gets to serve its purpose... or ya know, if it waits around too long, after 2012 no one will care anyway, so... :cheers:

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
for me a VC is a vital element, and the MK1, does not to me feel finished because of this, its a motivation of mine to see it in there basically and see it finished as i originally wanted to fly it, from inside the pit with all the buttons working and being able to look around in there with headtracking gizmo.

I'm with you there. I admit that I pick my favorite Orbiter vessels less for historical or realistic reasons (although those qualities do count toward the total experience) and more for aesthetics. In particular, the XR-2 is a beautiful craft, and I hate to lose sight of the interior view just to, you know, *fly* the thing...

Although the 2-D panels do look good too.

:)

And I've got to get me one of those head-tracking gizmos.

So here's to hoping you guys will find the interest and time to finish up the Mk 2. This Orbiteer at least will certainly be racking up the AUs while happily en-capsuled within its shiny new virtual pit.

:cheers:

ikrase

Reaction score
I guess that the result is that you cannot make an add-on VC for an XR vessel without infringing the copyright? Or that it just would not be possible?

The XR series is awesome. I like them a bit better than the DGIV, which I feel has things on it's panel a bit too distributed. I don't have the skill to do it, but it would be an honor to create add-ons for such awesome add-ons.

I wonder if it's possible to create some kind of generic configurable VC. I greatly prefer them to 2D panels. Some way to wrap the panel into 3d like on the Shuttle-A?

I did NOT mean to reccomend copyright infringement.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
You couldn't add a VC to the XR-2 without having the source code (that was also said here )

ikrase

Reaction score
Hmm. Clearly I need to learn more about both Orbiter and the rules of the XR vessels.

May the :probe: smile on you, Doug.