News Who watched EFT-1?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I saw the whole launch of exploration flight test 1 live via NASA TV. It was a hell of a show! they were delayed 24 hours thanks to a few problems forcing them to scrub the first launch window on December 4th 2014 at 7:05 (Florida time) But the second launch window (December 5th) was a success. It went so well there was barely any chatter in mission control. Just hope somebody makes an EFT-1 addon soon. Someone already made a delta 4 heavy addon so we just need the EFT-1 payload.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I only watched the launch on TV, the internet stream was again pretty instable and my TV set does not fit into my bathroom...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was driving home from work during the launch. Then couldn't stay awake for the reentry, I woke up shortly after splashdown.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Just hope somebody makes an EFT-1 addon soon. Someone already made a delta 4 heavy addon so we just need the EFT-1 payload.

It's not officially published(or finished) yet, but francisdrake has a Orion addon in development that already can simulate the EFT-1 mission: check the first post and download the latest attached zip.

As for me, I listened to most of the pre-launch activities via the webcast, spending most of it catching up on news in another tab. While I was busy with that, flash had an error, and I didn't get suspicious that it had gone silent until about 3 minutes after liftoff. Not a big loss in my book(thank the probe for replays), though I do still feel a bit foolish for losing track of time.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I watched the whole thing. Dozed off on the second attempt, and barely got up in time at T-50 seconds...

Unstung

Reaction score
I was watching live a minute prior to launch until it froze just before the good part then just listened to the audio for a while after. I only caught the launch because I happened to check O-F or some related website a few minutes before. It may be that I'm pessimistic about Orion's future, but I did not find the launch exciting, or more interesting than any other Delta IV Heavy launch.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I only watched the launch on TV, the internet stream was again pretty instable and my TV set does not fit into my bathroom...

Did you try setting up a series of mirrors, around the hose for a view ? Then you just need to turn the sound up.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I had it on in the background for the whole day.
And again on the second day when they actually launched it. The video from the UAV when it re-entered was amazing to watch

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I was at the CCAFS south gate, near SpaceX LCC. As soon as it went into the clouds, I jokingly announced "Thanks for coming, folks!" and promptly hauled butt back to the car. We then watched the reentry and landing on NASA TV.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did you try setting up a series of mirrors, around the hose for a view ? Then you just need to turn the sound up.

Tried it with my notebooks webcam and my Surface RT tablet, but reading O-F was better in quality. ;)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was sick... And I woke up extra early to watch the first launch attempt. The next day I woke up a couple minutes late and saw the whole mission after the second stage had separated.

I watched the whole thing on my ipad.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I watched from 6.20 to 7.00 on NASA.gov feed, on an iPhone on a mount in my car, then as it froze, I went to space.com and just got there in time for the launch. Had to pull over from driving to see the countdown to L+2:00 though! Then switched to iPhone and headphones walking to the office, and then streamed it in the background for the whole morning as I was working.

(Pretty hard to concentrate on some meeting calls whilst figuring out nautical miles into meters, etc. - LOL!)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately I could not wake early enough for the launch, so I only saw the replay an hour or so after the fact. I got to watch the reentry from interface to splashdown live, though. The view from the UAV was really cool. :)

Schmidtrock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Launch replays here due to third shift. Managed to stay up for orbital maneuvers, re-entry and splashdown though. Exciting times for this NASA nerd! (I'm a huge SpaceX fan-boy too though!)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I was listening to it with one in-ear headphone (another ear was often on a phone - even more on the scrub day) and I was switching to the tab with embedded video feed when I could.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I am only about an hour away from the Cape,so being sick that day,I didn't go down to the NASA causeway to watch it,I just went down to the beach,but then it got Scrubbed,and I thought that it would be at least 3 days before a second attempt,so I didn't pay much attention,and when I went on the Internet the next morning it had already been launched,and in orbit,so I just watched the rest of the operations on NASA TV.

dehat42

Reaction score
I tried to watch online the original attempt day, but the video cut out too much. Then the next day I was off, so I set the DVD recorder and was watching on the NASA TV Roku channel when it choked about t-10 secs. Had to switch to the Ustream channel (private) to see the rest. But I was able to record most of the replays from different angles. Recorded key moments of the flight (refire of the second stage, point of highest orbit, re-entry).

stealthstar

Reaction score
I fell asleep after a few delays during the first attempt but was kind of glad to know it was scrubbed the first time so I didn't miss anything after I fell asleep. It was around 4:30am (7:30am Florida time) when I started dosing off but woke up to see the delta 4 was still on the pad later in the day. I tried staying up all night for it but ended up dosing off. But I decided to get more sleep before the second attempt and I'm glad I did.