Poll Which operating system do you use to run Orbiter?

Which OS do you most often run Orbiter on?

• Windows 10

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Linux (any flavor) via Wine

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just an informal poll to get some unscientific OS usage with Orbiter stats. If you use more than one OS to run Orbiter, please choose the OS you run Orbiter on most often.

:tiphat:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My computer was giving me fits trying to do a Windows 10 update. It would lock up at 81% and the only out was to reboot (it would sit like this for hours, even overnight). Then on the next boot, it would revert back to the previous version of Windows. But last time, it went into a vicious cycle of rebooting over and over again. A recovery wasn't possible, no matter what I tried (usb stick, iso image, etc). So now I'm running the latest Ubuntu.

I was very happy to see Orbiter 2016 runs fine on it. But I've got no sound, even with XRSound.
Orbiter 2010 runs also (with sound) but there is a ton of flickering.

The Mrs. Cruiser said I could get or build a new computer. And this one will go to the little one.

LeePalmer

Reaction score
Good ask.
I am very interested in upgrading but so not want 10. As you can tell. Betas for on both current orbiter varients.

Regards

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My computer was giving me fits trying to do a Windows 10 update. It would lock up at 81% and the only out was to reboot (it would sit like this for hours, even overnight). Then on the next boot, it would revert back to the previous version of Windows. But last time, it went into a vicious cycle of rebooting over and over again. A recovery wasn't possible, no matter what I tried (usb stick, iso image, etc).
I'm fighting this battle myself right now on my desktop that runs the LiveATC feed for KHNB. Waiting on instructions from Dave at LiveATC for how to configure the feed to run in Fedora, then will be switching that box over.

This was one of the machines I still ran Orbiter on from-time-to-time when developing. Currently, it's a big paperweight, so my main Windows 7 flight sim PC is the only one I use.

llarian

Reaction score
It's a tough question to answer.

I just finished a new build (ASRock 350 Pro, AMD Ryzen 3 1300, 32gb ram, liquid cooled, 1050 graphics board), with Win 10 Pro. No problem with orbiter running on it so far.

Older unit was a Lenovo POC, running Win 10 home. No problems running Orbiter on it.

Laptop is an Asus running Win 7 Pro. Use it mostly for development and public exhibition. Good and stable on Orbiter.

Also, two tablets that run all of my checklists and documentation. Running Android, of course.

How would you answer to poll?

Cheers, all

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's a tough question to answer.

I just finished a new build (ASRock 350 Pro, AMD Ryzen 3 1300, 32gb ram, liquid cooled, 1050 graphics board), with Win 10 Pro. No problem with orbiter running on it so far.

Older unit was a Lenovo POC, running Win 10 home. No problems running Orbiter on it.

Laptop is an Asus running Win 7 Pro. Use it mostly for development and public exhibition. Good and stable on Orbiter.

Also, two tablets that run all of my checklists and documentation. Running Android, of course.

How would you answer to poll?

Cheers, all

Well, I would say:

If you use more than one OS to run Orbiter, please choose the OS you run Orbiter on most often.

:thumbup:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh, i'm actually surprised so many people find Win10 usable. Did it get fixed by now?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Huh, i'm actually surprised so many people find Win10 usable. Did it get fixed by now?

To be honest I've never had any issues with it, and I've been running it since the first publicly available pre-release version on my desktop (ca. 10 months before release) and since six months before release on my tablet PC.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Artlav: I'm using Win10Pro both at home and in company (few PCs still have win7), and in most cases I find it much more stable than 7.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Same experience here with Win 10 ... I've used it since first preview, and it's never crashed or caused my any issues (touch wood!). Best version of Windows ever.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I run Orbiter on Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Home. The game runs fine on either system, but the W10 install is my main PC. I have been running Windows 10 since around the time of the first year anniversary and have never had any problems with it.

I prefer Windows 7 for its robust feel, but the way of the future is Windows 10.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I find it much more stable than 7.
and it's never crashed
And now i'm curious how people are using Windows if "crashed" and "stable" are issues.
I don't think i had a non-hardware-related crash/BSoD since Win9x days.

But seriously, i was talking about the "control over your PO" type of issues - random reboots, change of settings, reinstalling wrong drivers, uninstalling programs and so on. System messing with stuff it have no business messing with.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
System messing with stuff it have no business messing with.

Yeah. That's hip now, I guess. They do it on Linux as well these days (systemd).

I'm tempted to say "it is impossible for one man to write a stable and reliable OS alone", so you go and prove the opposite to me ;) .

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yeah. That's hip now, I guess. They do it on Linux as well these days (systemd).
Hm? What's wrong with systemd? I don't remember it ever getting in the way or doing stuff that required a week of googling to fix and the fix getting undone with the next update.

I'm tempted to say "it is impossible for one man to write a stable and reliable OS alone", so you go and prove the opposite to me ;) .
Been there, done that - http://orbides.org/aprom.php

The hard part is hardware support, especially for all sorts of non-documented stuff like GPUs.

The real hard part these days, however, is writing a browser - it's bigger than an OS by now and is far more complex.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

We should make our own distro, and call it something silly, and the gradually lose interest and forget about it...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We should make our own distro, and call it something silly, and the gradually lose interest and forget about it...

OrbiOS. A whole OS just to run one application: Orbiter.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hm? What's wrong with systemd? I don't remember it ever getting in the way or doing stuff that required a week of googling to fix and the fix getting undone with the next update.

For desktop workloads systemd tends not to be so bad. For server workloads it's a huge pain in the hindparts. If a daemon listens on a given port, systemd will itself listen on that port, and then forward everything that comes in to the daemon. If the daemon crashes for any reason, systemd will continue listening on that port. So if, for instance, you're trying to diagnose a crash and are using a different command line than the default command line that systemd uses to start the daemon, you can't just open up a terminal, type the alternate command line, and have everything work: you have to specify a different port, or systemd will eat all inbound traffic for that daemon.

Then there's systemd's habit of, under certain circumstances, eating full CPU on one core. I've never had an issue with it on my main desktop, but it was the final straw that led me to rip systemd out and replace it with sysvinit on a Raspberry Pi GPS timeserver that I was setting up.

I never got why, around the time I was getting involved with Linux, everybody was hating on Pulse Audio. I'd never had any problems with it, and still haven't. Now that I've been burned by systemd a couple times, I understand: Lennart Poettering writes crap software and won't listen to criticism.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Let's not turn this into a hate fest for systemd, please.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Let's not turn this into a hate fest for systemd, please.

Indeed. Systemd is just software, and at least it is open source.

What about a hate fest for Lennart Poettering instead, though? :rofl:

Just kidding, of course ;) .